Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I continually replace the window regulator/motor combos in my Pilot. I've replaced them all, with the exception of the driver's door, at least once. In fact, I replaced one for the 2nd time today.

I don't usually touch the windows. I live in Las Vegas, so unrolling the windows is the last thing on my mind 9 months out the year. So when I walk out to my car and the window is down, I'm just at a loss as to how it broke without me using it.

I dissembled the one I replaced today, and it has a wheel inside the cable must wrap around, that the ends of the cable attaches to. The part there the cable attaches to the wheel is what breaks.

I've just got to know, does this happen to anyone else? Is it just a hot climate thing?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Answering your post six year later :) .

I have a 2005, and last week the RR window cable broke during a 90+ degree hot spell. I also have had problems with the driver's window sticking in the wintertime, so I went ahead replaced both of them using Dornan OEM regulators. Easy job watching 1A Auto videos on Youtube. Right after I finished, I went to go for a drive to the store, and leaving my house, I test out all the windows....sure enough, SNAP, the LR window cable broke! So I went back home and ordered the LR and RF regulators to finish out all four. So, maybe heat has something to do with it.

Pro Tip: to keep the vehicle secure while I wait for the regulators to arrive, I took off the door panel, pushed the window to the top, and stuck a 1x1 piece of wood inside the door to keep the window up, using a zip tie to hold it in place.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Answering your post six year later :) .

I have a 2005, and last week the RR window cable broke during a 90+ degree hot spell. I also have had problems with the driver's window sticking in the wintertime, so I went ahead replaced both of them using Dornan OEM regulators. Easy job watching 1A Auto videos on Youtube. Right after I finished, I went to go for a drive to the store, and leaving my house, I test out all the windows....sure enough, SNAP, the LR window cable broke! So I went back home and ordered the LR and RF regulators to finish out all four. So, maybe heat has something to do with it.

Pro Tip: to keep the vehicle secure while I wait for the regulators to arrive, I took off the door panel, pushed the window to the top, and stuck a 1x1 piece of wood inside the door to keep the window up, using a zip tie to hold it in place.
I had to use the wood trick to keep the window on our CRV up one year when the regulator motor gave up. Good thinking.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
9,748 Posts
Another pro tip: As part of your regular maintenance routine, shoot some silicone spray lubricant int the window channels.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Another pro tip: As part of your regular maintenance routine, shoot some silicone spray lubricant int the window channels.
Yep, I have to use silicone 2-3 times per winter to unstick them. I will be very curious to see if replacing the regulator will reduce/eliminate the need to do this...none of the other windows get stuck.

I also wonder if the control module (Honda 72256-S9V-A01 Left Power Window Control Unit) might also be "sticking", as I think it has relays inside. If it sticks again this winter, I might go ahead and order that (~$130 from Amazon, which is a bit more than I'm willing to proactively "replace and hope").

1 - 5 of 5 Posts