Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it safe to use Windex + distill water as windshield washer fluid? Would it damage the paint or rubber seals?

My Pilot's wipers chatter and squeak quite a bit. I've tried different brands of windshield washer fluids. None works well. The only one keeps wipers quiet and windshield clean is Windex + distill water.

Chatter and squeak not likely caused by oil. I've cleaned thoroughly.

·
Registered
10,196 Posts
Is it safe to use Windex + distill water as windshield washer fluid? Would it damage the paint or rubber seals?

My Pilot's wipers chatter and squeak quite a bit. I've tried different brands of windshield washer fluids. None works well. The only one keeps wipers quiet and windshield clean is Windex + distill water.

Have you tried cleaning the rubber elements of the blades with Windex?
How old are the rubber elements of the blades?

·
Registered
29 Posts
When I bought my first VW I was astoundingly impressed with VWs OEM fluid. Too expensive though. So I replaced it with Nextzett Krystal Klar and have used ever since. Great washer fluid. Just can't be mixed with the blue stuff so have to be careful if you go to a quick lube or the like.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
I've replaced with Honda wipers few months ago. Windex in windshield washer fluid fixes the chatter, but I'm not sure if it's a good idea.
Windex is ammonia and will break down the rubber of your wipers. Instead clean your windshield and apply aquapel. Then use a paper towel and a little rubbing alcohol and clean the rubber of your wipers.

·
Registered
2005 Honda Pilot EX
143 Posts
When it squeaks is when you need to turn off your wipers. LOL!

Windex acts like soap. At certain concentration, wipers smear it all over the windshield blurring your view.

Treat your windshield with Rain-X. Rain drops will turn to beads. You'll enjoy seeing them skidding off.

·
Registered
2019 Pilot EX-L AWD, 265-60-18 Defender LTX M/S
652 Posts
I like Bosch Icon blades. They have worked the best for me. I tried the Walmart Michelin Silicone ones on the Sonata and they squeeked often, doesn't happen with the Bosch for me. I use Aquapel on front, Rain-x sides and rear, soon to try FlyBy30. All mine and kids cars have the Icon's.

Project-Farm windshield wiper test

One thing also is try and remember to adjust/flip the rubber edge on the wipers. When you use them and then shut off and leave them they get "bent" on that final down swipe. Now if cold or wind lifting some they don't want to flip back easily and will chatter and not wipe well. The Icon's also have a small "spoiler" effect on them to help push them onto the glass when driving instead of lifting off.

And then there is some other 10 best Washer fluid recommendations.

Canada also gets some other options with lower freeze points down to like -50. I never recommend the "summer/bug" versions as if you don't use it up by winter pending where you live you might get frozen bottle/hoses/nozzles. That happened to me having to use a work travel car.

Update your profile also so it shows your location when you hover over the flag.

·
Registered
2019 Pilot Elite
642 Posts

Depending on where you live and if you're car is kept outdoors you may need to adjust your expectation for life expectancy on the wipers.

Having lived in south Florida, regularly by the ocean and parked only outdoors, I always have a spare set and change them at least every year.

Some of the guys from Texas or Arizona might agree.

Good luck

·
Registered
445 Posts
You wont need wipers or fluid as much if you use a ceramic coating on the windshield. Aquapel, glassparency, etc. I have carpro fly by 30 and it works great. Bugs dont stick as much and are easier to wipe of. I dont use the wipers when raining, it just beads off. Supposedly snow doesnt stick as much either. I'm in in fl cant confirm that one

·
Registered
92 Posts
+1 on the Bosch Icon blades. A little more $ but worth it IMO.

+1 Rain-X on the windshield.

I also use Rain-X washer fluid as well. Living here in western NY it also does a real nice job at helping to prevent frosting/icing.

A lot of people here keep a spray bottle of diluted rubbing alcohol that they spray directly on the windshield when they get home at the end of the day to keep their windshields ice-free overnight, but that destroys the Rain-X coating I have on the glass.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
+1 on the Bosch Icon blades. A little more $ but worth it IMO.

+1 Rain-X on the windshield.

I also use Rain-X washer fluid as well. Living here in western NY it also does a real nice job at helping to prevent frosting/icing.

A lot of people here keep a spray bottle of diluted rubbing alcohol that they spray directly on the windshield when they get home at the end of the day to keep their windshields ice-free overnight, but that destroys the Rain-X coating I have on the glass.
I forgot where I read or heard this. Once you apply rain-x, you have to keep re-apply. If you don't, there will be much more wiper squeak. True?

·
Registered
652 Posts
I forgot where I read or heard this. Once you apply rain-x, you have to keep re-apply. If you don't, there will be much more wiper squeak. True?
Never found that it just starts to wear off and not work as well so you notice it and reapply. What I did have from Rain-X was that it also leaves a little build up edge by drivers A-pillar as it wears and that gets a little sticky/ugly. Just need to clean and redo it. I switched over to Aquapel on the front window since then as it lasts a lot longer and doesn't do the gummy edge thing. Rain-X works at a lower speed like 30mph around town, Aquapel for me seems more like 45 but both bead and let it roll off easier. Aquapel is chemical bond vs the silicones in Rain-X.

New Ceramic versions are out there like FlyBy30 and all the different companies with the ceramic protectants (Adams, Griot's) check some detailing forums and autogeek.

I use the Rain-X on my side and back windows and mirrors as well. It helps a lot with seeing traffic behind you and keeps ice/snow from sticking. My lights normally have a good wax/sealer coat on them.

And don't forget to update your profile also so it shows your location when you hover over the flag.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Never found that it just starts to wear off and not work as well so you notice it and reapply. What I did have from Rain-X was that it also leaves a little build up edge by drivers A-pillar as it wears and that gets a little sticky/ugly. Just need to clean and redo it. I switched over to Aquapel on the front window since then as it lasts a lot longer and doesn't do the gummy edge thing. Rain-X works at a lower speed like 30mph around town, Aquapel for me seems more like 45 but both bead and let it roll off easier. Aquapel is chemical bond vs the silicones in Rain-X.

New Ceramic versions are out there like FlyBy30 and all the different companies with the ceramic protectants (Adams, Griot's) check some detailing forums and autogeek.

I use the Rain-X on my side and back windows and mirrors as well. It helps a lot with seeing traffic behind you and keeps ice/snow from sticking. My lights normally have a good wax/sealer coat on them.

And don't forget to update your profile also so it shows your location when you hover over the flag.
Never heard Aquapel 'til you mentioned. Looks like it has very positive reviews on Amazon. It seems a bit more expensive but consider it can last for quite a long time. Here comes my next weekend mini project :) Thanks.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Never heard Aquapel 'til you mentioned. Looks like it has very positive reviews on Amazon. It seems a bit more expensive but consider it can last for quite a long time. Here comes my next weekend mini project :) Thanks.
It's a squeeze and break the glass vial applicator thing. You'll have just enough to do the front windshield (and maybe side mirrors). Follow the directions. Clean the glass well first. I usually do a clay mitt (I switched from clay bar to Nanoskin Mitt years ago, highly recommended) . After that I do an extra fine 0000 steel wool wipe with paper towels, then re-clean with heavy application of spray cleaner with paper towels (in case any steel wool left), then spray cleaner with a microfiber.

I start in middle of drivers view with the aquapel and cover right to left on that side and pretty quickly get to passengers side the same way. Don't squeeze too hard on drivers side so you can get the last bit squeezed out for passengers. I go top/bottom, then side/side, then finish with top/bottom (direction of airflow) and buff off per directions.

With all the new ceramic versions I'm going to try the FlyBy30 next on all the cars as it's time to refresh. Already on my sons Kia Forte but hasn't rained/snowed since we applied.

I RARELY use Windex. SprayWay and Invisible Glass spray cans are my normal and easy to keep in trunk/storage with a Microfiber. I HATE dirty windows, the dog doesn't care and rubs his nose on them anyway.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
I have tried the Invisible Glass and the Aquapel glass cleaner. I've found the Aquapel glass cleaner to leave less streaks especially when using newspaper (black/white only) on the inside of the windshield. I've never heard of FlyBy30 but will check it out. I wanted to apply Aquapel today but it's not 50 degrees here so that's not an option.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts