Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Passenger side window noisy with Scrunching/plastic wrap type of sound.

Dear All,

Just finished an 800 mile road trip. Noticed a strange sound coming from the front passenger's seat door/window area (What I call the first officer's position). The sound seems to be high on the door frame and sounds like a brushing/scratching/plastic wrap being scrunched up....It does not drive me as crazy as it does my co-pilot (first officer) wife (by the way she thinks she's the captain!!!). However, when we switched seats and she drove for awhile, it drove me crazy, so I know she's not nuts.

Technical analysis: I did notice that it came and went, and was usually present at speeds in excess of 60. Especially noisy following/passing large trucks. Especially in the buffet zone. This is an intermittent noise and just starts and stops even when there is no other vehicles around you... Any thoughts?

Pilot
June 1st 2003
Red

·
Registered
964 Posts
VirginRi said:
Passenger side window noisy with Scrunching/plastic wrap type of sound.

Dear All,

Just finished an 800 mile road trip. Noticed a strange sound coming from the front passenger's seat door/window area (What I call the first officer's position). The sound seems to be high on the door frame and sounds like a brushing/scratching/plastic wrap being scrunched up....It does not drive me as crazy as it does my co-pilot (first officer) wife (by the way she thinks she's the captain!!!). However, when we switched seats and she drove for awhile, it drove me crazy, so I know she's not nuts.

Technical analysis: I did notice that it came and went, and was usually present at speeds in excess of 60. Especially noisy following/passing large trucks. Especially in the buffet zone. This is an intermittent noise and just starts and stops even when there is no other vehicles around you... Any thoughts?

Pilot
June 1st 2003
Red
Welcome to the scrunch zone VirginRi. If you perform a search on "scrunch" you'll find about a zillion hits. The problem is with the rubber door seals and a slight flex in the car. You probably hear it when the force of the air from the semi's comes and pushes on the side of the Pilot either flexing the frame a bit or pushing the door in tight to the car.
While some have not found a cure most have by applying a strip of silicone tape to the door jambs where the seal meets the jam. Your dealer should do it for you as this has been an issue since the Pilot came out and apparently has yet to be fixed on the production line.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts