Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all, calm down, a winch is not the same thing as a wench. Have any of you, or anyone you know, installed a bumper mounted winch on the Pilot? If so, I would like to hear about it.

Also I saw a brief discussion of the small skid plates under the vehicle. Does anyone know someone who sells a larger skid plate to fit the Pilot? Thanks, James

·
Registered
113 Posts
Sounds like you purchased the wrong vehicle!;)

·
Registered
3,429 Posts
Huh?

I ordered a winch for my Pilot....here's a picture. Think they sent the wrong item.

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
The money you will spent to "shore up" a Pilot for serious off roading, you could have bought a real off-roader. Go buy a used "real" 4x4. Save the Pilot for the purpose it is designed.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You don't have to do hard core 4 wheeling to get stuck or high center a vehicle. All it takes is a patch of soft sand or an uneven spot in an otherwise decent dirt road.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Hey, let's take it easy on people's choices for accessories!

You can say "If you had wanted That, you should have bought a [ ]?" for just about ANY modification you make to a vehicle.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
i'd be surprised

if anyone has a bumper mounted winch. The plastic bumper simply isn't up to the task. My guess would be a brush / grill guard with an winch installed on the guard.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Jim Bob said:
First of all, calm down, a winch is not the same thing as a wench. Have any of you, or anyone you know, installed a bumper mounted winch on the Pilot? If so, I would like to hear about it.

Also I saw a brief discussion of the small skid plates under the vehicle. Does anyone know someone who sells a larger skid plate to fit the Pilot? Thanks, James

I'm also interested in skid plates, but have never found any for the Pilot.

I don't plan to go rock climbing, but do worry about things like tree roots or stumps picking off my underside as I carefully make my way up old fire roads. The tires can suddenly kick up a hidden branch and really whack the side or bottom of the truck. The occasional big rock in the middle of a sandy two track can really ruin an otherwise great day!:eek:

I've damaged my front splash pan several times now. (The black plastic below the front bumper) It would be nice to have something a little stronger protecting the underside in front!

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Re: Huh?

Art said:
I ordered a winch for my Pilot....here's a picture. Think they sent the wrong item.
Wow! A RedRock Pearl Winch!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Skid Plates?

Does anyone know of a company that makes a plate for the front of the Pilot, mainly to cover the oil pan/tranny?

I have looked but not found anything.

Thanks
Paul Caldwell

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
Here's another thread on skid plates, which I enjoyed reading again just for the discussion on winches.:D They hadn't located one there either (skid plate that is).

·
Registered
260 Posts
I agree the Pilot isn't suited for real off roading....but if you must...

I would be really really worried about the oil pan, most steel sheet metal pans will dent if they hit a rock. I'd be willing to bet the die cast or whatever aluminum pan on the Pilot will crack or break rather than dent. Remember the old saying 1 hour back in the woods in a vehicle (dirt bike/ATV/4wd/etc) means 8 hours out walking:(

·
Registered
11 Posts
skid plates

I guess I will just have to wait and see, I don't do the classic rock hoping stuff, and most of the other "SUVs" won't do any better. The Grand Cherokee is unit body construction just like the Pilot.

My only concern on the pilot is like someone else pointed out, is all that important stuff is exposed.

You have a pretty nice clearance, of 8 inches and if you are going slow you should be able to avoid most of the stuff.

I just would feel better with something over that high dollar metal, for the tranny and pan, I can't tell what's its made from but I agree it will more than likely crack not bend.

Paul

1 - 15 of 15 Posts