Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 119 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just realized how wimpy the horn in the 16 pilot is. For something so big and beastly, the party favor horn is embarrassing. Any fixes?

·
Administrator
2016 CRV Touring AWD, 2005 Pilot RIP.
16,328 Posts
Always thought Honda horns were one of the better ones out there. Maybe they changed something that worked.

·
Registered
2,585 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Unfortunately - aside from the wimpy sounding horn - they did some other "interesting stuff" for '16.

Previously - the "bumper" on these cars (behind the plastic painted part) was a huge hunk of molded styrofoam.

They did a REAL BUMPER this year - a 4" aluminum box, behind the "bumper cover" that runs width-wise across the entire front.

The DOWNSIDE is - the factory horn is ON TOP OF this aluminum box - meaning you can't GET TO THE HORN to replace it - WITHOUT REMOVING THE ENTIRE FRONT END (wheels wells, trim and bumper cover.

BOO ON HONDA for this making this so difficult - well, not really. The metal REAL BUMPER is going to minimize front end damage a lot better than the previous gen styrofoam - but at the expense of having to remove the bumper cover before doing any work BEHIND IT.

Funny this post came up today. I was thinking of hitting "Service Express" and trying to chase the horn wires down - BEFORE they go through the bulkhead that holds the radiator/condenser assembly - so I can tap them THERE, and mount my "replacement horns" behind the lower (accessible) part of the bumper cover.

I bought TWO Stebel horns, one 300hz "Truck Horn"

and a "Dual Tone" horn

These have a "combined draw" close to 40 amps. So I made up a 4 gauge wire with a 4 amp fuse, going to a 40 amp horn relay - which splits at the output to power both horns - this will connect with a "ring terminal" to the "accessory post on the drivers side under hood fuse box. I'll tap the OEM horn wires for the "trigger" part of the relay inputs (disconnecting the factory horn in the process).

---

I just started pulling the engine compartment apart (again) in hopes of figuring out a way to do this CORRECTLY - without having to pull the bumper cover. And it's looking like there's really no way to do it, that WON'T BE a 1/2-gluteous rig.

Rick

Reactions: Ravenkeeper9496

·
Registered
2,585 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Make sure you take a video of the sound!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
These horns are "supposed to be" 139dB (each).

So Florida is rife with, umm - "inattentive drivers" (I have a collection of rear view mirrors I've kicked off of cars that almost killed me on my motorcycle).

I run a dual tone one on my V-Rod (custom install - trumpet under factory cover, compressor under airbox cover with remote relay). It's 127dB on my decibel meter.

Since the hurricane is going to miss us - I'm gonna try and make the time to get the bumper cover pulled this week - so I can get these in.

It's less a matter of the horns THEMSELVES - than getting into where they need to be (properly) installed for maximum effect. Honda made it difficult in the '16's.

Will post pics and vid of the install...

Rick

Reactions: BigDozer66

·
Registered
2,585 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just realized how wimpy the horn in the 16 pilot is. For something so big and beastly, the party favor horn is embarrassing. Any fixes?
The horn is the worst one I've ever heard. Fed regulations hitting again?

Anyway, if anyone does replace their horn (it's in a pretty inaccessible spot), could you please you tube it for us newbies?

Thanks!

--Phil
2016 EX-L . . . 1 day old . . .

·
Registered
197 Posts
I had to have the horn replaced back when I had a crv. The horn in my new '16 is not even worth using.

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
I took that to mean jshirley was "thanking" Honda for sonic nothingness. Agree, but I'm not ready to drop the nuke like rsconsulting.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Clown Horn

Has anyone upgraded the wimpy horn player in this car yet? If so, which one did you install?

Not looking for a fog horn, but just one that sounds more formidable than this one. We've had to use it a few times to avoid some minor situations and it was not loud enough for the other car to hear. Also got some giggles from some people walking.

It does serve a purpose though - whenever someone rides in it for the first time and compliments how much they like our new Pilot, I always catch them with a "it even comes with a clown horn" - when they hear it, it never fails for a good laugh. :grin:

1 - 20 of 119 Posts