Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
According to those who own Pilot,including me,all Pilots have problems with gastank,either it makes that thug noise or get overflown when we try to top it off.Will Honda try to fix them soon?Anybody have any idea?.I myself love my Pilot but really hate to hear that bothering noise in that gastank.I do hope they will .

·
Registered
36 Posts
The MDX has the same "sloshing" noise in the gas tank, it has been determined to be "normal characteristic of the vehicle" by Acura. See service bulletin SN B010104, issued on 1/29/2001. I doubt that Honda will do anything about with the Pilot??

·
Registered
52 Posts
I doubt it

Sorry, but both of the Pilot's siblings, the Odyssey and MDX share the "thump" or "slosh". Since these vehicles have been around a couple of years now, a recall IMHO is unlikely. I'll bet that this is addressed in the first redesign.

As far as overflow when topping off, I've yet to see this any worse than any other vehicle than I've owned before.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Sorry but I haven't experience either the thud or the gas overflow. I was kinda expecting it after reading it from the forum weeks ago but so far I haven't noticed it. I have close to 700 miles and on my 3rd fillup on my Pilot so far no thud or gas overflow. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
232 Posts
I don't really see that there's anything to be fixed. Should they put baffles in the gas tank? Soundproof it? I hear it too but it's really not a problem.

As far as overflowing goes, I've filled our up at least 5 times and have never had a problem. Just don't top it off. When the pump stops, don't put any more in. It's as easy as that. :27:

·
Registered
185 Posts
I agree not topping off seems to resolve any overflow issue. I hear the thud from time to time, but again, not a big issue to me.

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Topping off

Lets see;
Honda says don't top off,
The Gas station says don't top off,
The EPA says don't top off.

But even with that you do and have a problem, Hmmm?

OK, that my AH like post for the day. :2:

·
Registered
335 Posts
It’s not as easy as that. In New Jersey, we're NOT a Self Serve state; almost all gas station attendants given the chance will round to the nearest quarter, especially on a cash purchase. The Pilot overflows with the mere drop of a few pennies.... really annoying! So, I've posted little signs on the cap, in English. Unfortunately, to cover all attendants would mean about 3 or 4 different languages. So if I don't remember to tell the attendant NOT to top off, I end up with gas dripping down my car...really nice!!!

Joe

·
Registered
123 Posts
jfrano said:
It’s not as easy as that. In New Jersey, we're NOT a Self Serve state; ...So if I don't remember to tell the attendant NOT to top off, I end up with gas dripping down my car...really nice!!!

Joe
My first fill up, exactly what happened in NJ... can't even take extra dime worth of gas after auto shut off. Subsequent fill ups (2x so far), Now, I make my business to tell attendants not to top off.

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Have fun

If it is full serve (or you live in New Jersy), and the guy trys to top up, make a scene. Ask to see the manager. Ask if his people regularly ignore the warning stickers put there by the pump manufacturers, and the State.
In all the ruckus, they will probably forget to charge you for the gas.:2:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Read the thread on the MDX site about gas overflow. It is NOT a topping off problem. I happened to me once, and I did not top off. In my case it happened on my fourth tank, just completed about 200 miles of driving in 80F weather, had 1/8 of a tank left, filled up, put cap back on, and a minute later gas was pouring out by the rear mud guard. It hasn't happened since, but I haven't done any long trips.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Overflow problem

My first fillup on Saturday I did NOT top off because I had read about problems in this forum. The pump stopped, I pulled out the nozzle and gas started flowing from the tank and would not stop. I stared in disbelief and it kept spilling. I finally put the cap back on in order to stop it. There was about 1 - 2 quarts that spilled. The station attendant came over and applied a special treatment to the spill. I have never seen anything like it in my life. This is a REAL problem.

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Wonder if it is related to certain pumps, or certain Pilots/MDXs?
I have 4000 miles, about 15 fillups, most of them with one (I know I shouldn't) small top-up. Old habbit from a car that would shut the pump off early.
Never a drop spilled, nor the back flood people are talking about.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It is a problem,though some of you do might not think so.

pilot03 said:

If you, whoever don't or not yet experience the "Slosh"or "Thug "noise and that "overflown" problem,you 're lucky and it 's easy to say that it's not a "big deal" or just as easy or simple as that.I've had owned 6 different vehicles ,4 of them were brandnew when I bought them.None of them had the same prblems as I do with the present Pilot.To me ,a brandnew thitysome thousand dollar car should not do those things such Sloshing noise and overflown.First,even I do know there's nothing to fix the problems but it does hurt everytime I hear the noise,and to me it's really loud,and it's always there.Second,to solve the overflown simply stop topping-off,but I'm not the only one drive it in the house and honestly,by habit,sometimes forget,and everytime it happens,amount of wasted gas is not small,the car gets messed up,cleanning always needed at the scene.Thanks guys.

P.S: I do love and enjoy my Pilot.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Topping off the gas tank hasn't caused a problem for me. . .have about 3,000 miles on the pilot so far. no overflow or dripping from the gas tank.

I'm wondering if those of you experiencing the overflow issue have the old style nozzles on the pumps, or the new style with a plastic sleave that is supposed to capture fumes and recirculate them into the pump system at the station. . .figure the different styles could cause problems

·
Registered
290 Posts
I don't top off and I have never had the gas spillage issue, and I have over 5K miles (you figure out the number of fill-ups, I don't track them). I can offer some info that I learned from taking my Pilot in to be serviced today. I had prepared a list of the issues that I had noticed. One of them was the gas tank "thud".

When the Service Manager called me later in the day, he mentioned that this was a normal occurence and that it has been reported on other Honda and Acura vehicles for years. He said that they do not have baffles in their gas tanks and that there was no expected fix for the issue, as they do not consider it much of an issue.

I will admit that in the beginning I would have disagreed with him because I found it quite annoying. But, I guess I am getting used to it. My wife hasn't yet and she still comments on it when she hears it. This is one I can let go. Though it would be nice if they would change it for future owners as I can't imiagine that the addition of baffles would kill them and would probably go a long way to solving this problem.

·
Registered
54 Posts
r_hammel said:

When the Service Manager called me later in the day, he mentioned that this was a normal occurence and that it has been reported on other Honda and Acura vehicles for years. He said that they do not have baffles in their gas tanks and that there was no expected fix for the issue, as they do not consider it much of an issue.
Well according to Honda the Pilot's Gas tank does have a baffle...

"Fuel System
The 19.2-gallon, saddle-shaped fuel tank is molded of high-density polyethylene for low weight, freedom from corrosion and impact resistance. It is positioned ahead of the rear wheels and over the propeller shaft to help guard against collision damage. Corners of the tank are rounded and the inside of the tank is baffled to diminish the likelihood of sloshing-fuel noise. The polyethylene filler pipe and fuel lines are light, not susceptible to corrosion and resistant to fuel vapor losses. A high-efficiency fuel pump is housed inside the fuel tank. The fuel-filter is a lifetime design that never needs replacement."

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
SO WHAT IS THE TRUTH???

I don't know why the discussion stopped here.So now that we know that the Pilot's gastank supposed to have a bafoe(read the above repied post)Then why most of Honda services tech.say that it doesn't have one?Do they lie or they do not know?I'd like to know the truth guys because to me it's a big issue,it sure hurts everytime it makes that "sloshing" or "thug "noise ,plus that "spilling "thing.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I guess what we need to see is a cad of the tank to find out where the baffles are. It almost sounds to me that when the tank is full the fuel goes above the baffels, that is assuming that the baffles are attached to the bottom of the tank.

I myself heard the thud a couple of times, but I really had to stomp on the brakes to make it happen. It really does not bother me.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts