Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm interested in a narrower and slightly taller tire for a New England winter in our 2017 Pilot EX AWD. Anyone have experience with a 235/65/18? It's .4" taller and .4" narrower (approximately). Visual inspection suggests it'd fit. This size also seems to offer more aggressive winter tread options than stock 245/60/18. I'm stuck with OEM 18s so a winter/tire package isn't possible.

What size winter tire are you folks using? Those with a winter in a 2016 Pilot under their belt, how was the vehicle's performance? I'm coming from a full-size GMC truck with A/T tires and hope the Pilot is nearly as good when properly equipped. :)

Thank you in advance,
Brian

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
I'm stuck with OEM 18s so a winter/tire package isn't possible.

What size winter tire are you folks using? Those with a winter in a 2016 Pilot under their belt, how was the vehicle's performance? I'm coming from a full-size GMC truck with A/T tires and hope the Pilot is nearly as good when properly equipped. :)
235/65R18 should be fine. I'm using slightly oversize all-season LT tires on my 2016 Touring ( 255/50R20 ) with no issues, because of a sizing issue with desired tires. But aggressive appearing A/T tires aren't necessarily good in winter. That's a common misconception that leads to many "manly" trucks decorating the ditches in winter. Winter tread compound and lots of sipes are the things that will keep you on the road when it's icy.

How are you "stuck"? 17 and 18 inch sizes are most popular for winter. For those who are using dedicated winter wheels, it depends on the wheels they want to use. There are many options.

I'm about to start my 3rd season on 245/60R18 Blizzak DM-V2 tires. Pilot is a tank with the Blizzaks. Trips up north, trips to the Rockies, no problem. The few times I have encountered deep snow locally the past couple winters, I sometimes found it useful to disable VSA when I was dealing with deep snow drifts at low speed. VSA is rather aggressive about controlling wheel spin and it was difficult to maintain momentum when the thing started floating on the drifts. In normal driving on plowed roads, not a problem, and VSA does a great job of keeping the vehicle going in the direction intended with a minimum of drama.

We have 245/55R19 Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2 SUV on my wife's 2014 MDX, just cuz she was prissy about OEM wheels ( still went with refinished painted ones, not clear-coat ), but that setup is also unstoppable. If anything, the Nokians are a bit more aggressive than the Blizzaks, but harder to find and more expensive.

The only equipment problem I have had is the clear coat degraded and peeled on a set of refinished machined and clear-coated OEM Honda wheels that were being used for winter. The refinishing company replaced them with painted ones. Lesson learned.

·
Registered
5,870 Posts
I'm interested in a narrower and slightly taller tire for a New England winter in our 2017 Pilot EX AWD. Anyone have experience with a 235/65/18? It's .4" taller and .4" narrower (approximately). Visual inspection suggests it'd fit. This size also seems to offer more aggressive winter tread options than stock 245/60/18. I'm stuck with OEM 18s so a winter/tire package isn't possible.
Plenty of "aggressive" winter tire choices are available in the 245/60R18 size:
WinterContact SI - 245/60R18 108H Tire | Continental
Grabber Arctic | General Tire
https://www.pirelli.com/tires/en-us/car-light-truck/find-your-tires/product-sheet/scorpion-winter
https://www.toyotires.com/tire/pattern/observe-g3-ice-studdable-passengerlight-truck-winter-tire
Three of these are also made in the 235/65R18 size, should you prefer.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Thank you in advance
Brian

Hi there,
I just recently purchased a 2016 Pilot Touring. I have a set of winters (235 65 18) from my old vehicle and was hoping to use them. What did you end of doing? What size tire did you use dor your winters?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Running Blizzack DM-V2 in stock 245/60/18 size on my 2016. Pilot was really good in Anchorage winter, on poorly plowed roads. I hated snow mode on the traction control system. Good for eliminating wheel spin, but deaden the throttle too much for me. Mud and sand modes worked fine in 8ish inches of unplowed snow.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts