Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2009 Pilot (touring) and the engine just seized up, likely due to the oil consumption issue for which there was a class action lawsuit in 2013.

I need to replace the engine and it looks like replacements can be taken from 2009-2011 models, which also have the same design flaw. Does anyone know why a 2012-2015 engine wouldn't fit, or if there are simple modifications we could make to get it to fit?

·
Registered
9,475 Posts
I have a 2009 Pilot (touring) and the engine just seized up, likely due to the oil consumption issue for which there was a class action lawsuit in 2013.

I need to replace the engine and it looks like replacements can be taken from 2009-2011 models, which also have the same design flaw. Does anyone know why a 2012-2015 engine wouldn't fit, or if there are simple modifications we could make to get it to fit?
No to all of the above. Not simple or advisable for an already labor intensive job.
Make sure it's an AWD or 2wd according to what your vehicle is or you will have problems.

Reactions: swackerl

·
Registered
960 Posts
An easy way to access the Junkyard industry substitution manual is to check with car-part.com. Plug in your existing vehicle specs, and they will provide a nationwide speadsheet on available compatible parts. Should answer your compatibility questions.

If they don't list 2012-2015 as plug n play, I would not try to force it.

·
Registered
9,475 Posts
An easy way to access the Junkyard industry substitution manual is to check with car-part.com. Plug in your existing vehicle specs, and they will provide a nationwide speadsheet on available compatible parts. Should answer your compatibility questions.

If they don't list 2012-2015 as plug n play, I would not try to force it.
Agreed,
and even then, verify that your getting the correct engine from the vehicle they claim it to be from..., the 6th number of the VIN should match yours and verify the engine block stamp.

Reactions: Daltongang

·
Registered
61 Posts
YES, but might need to use your current wiring harness into the new engine to work properly
average price with free shipping on ebay is $1500-2500

J35Z4 - VCM
  • 2009-2015 Honda Pilot
  • Displacement: 3.5 L; 211.8 cu in (3,471 cc)
  • Bore and stroke: 89 mm × 93 mm (3.50 in × 3.66 in)
  • Compression: 10.5:1
  • Power: 250 hp (186 kW) at 5700 rpm
  • Torque: 253 lb⋅ft (343 N⋅m) at 4800 rpm
  • Valvetrain: 24v SOHC i-VTEC
  • Fuel control: Multi-point fuel injection; PGM-FI

1 - 5 of 5 Posts