Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone. First off, she's okay so far. Some gnarly bruises, low back pain and on/off headaches. But alive with no broken bones.

She was coming home from work Saturday morning and hit a running parked car that wasn't fully pulled to the side of the road. I guess the driver got out and walked across the street to talk to a lady walking her dog. Black Tahoe parked under the shade. My wife didn't notice it till it was to late to avoid, slammed on her brake but plowed right into it.

Now I'm dealing with the insurance, they've declared it an "Obvious Total Loss" and now I'm waiting for the Valuation report to tell me what they believe it's worth and what they'll pay us after the finance. We still owe $20,075, has 38k miles. Anyways... here's a few pictures. She was a bit surprised it never warned her to brake or tried on it's own, but looking at it, I think it was just out of sight of the radar.

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
Wow dude I’m glad she’s okay! I went through that - my wife was rear ended in our (then brand new) CRV when she was 8.5 months pregnant. Scary stuff.

Take your time with insurance and make sure to review your existing policy carefully. Do you have a “5 year total replacement” policy? That policy saved our butts when the CRV was totalled - the insurance company paid off the wrecked CRV and basically gave us a cheque to buy a brand new one. No hassles.

Other advice is - take notes on every call and keep good email records. Sometimes these settlements can drag on and you’ll deal with different reps on different days.

All the best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow dude I’m glad she’s okay! I went through that - my wife was rear ended in our (then brand new) CRV when she was 8.5 months pregnant. Scary stuff.

Take your time with insurance and make sure to review your existing policy carefully. Do you have a “5 year total replacement” policy? That policy saved our butts when the CRV was totalled - the insurance company paid off the wrecked CRV and basically gave us a cheque to buy a brand new one. No hassles.

Other advice is - take notes on every call and keep good email records. Sometimes these settlements can drag on and you’ll deal with different reps on different days.

All the best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah I am trying to look up that. I know I have the GAP, but by now the car is worth more than what we owe, so that doesn't do anything for me. I'm hoping they come back with a Valuation of 30-33k. The more the merrier... but we'll still be short the 10k of getting a new one, minus what they pay Honda Financial.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
He has a fixer-upper fixation.
NG can get that car running with some MaxLife ATF, an SVCM and some cheap Sumitomo tires. It’ll be the 8th car in the driveway.

·
Administrator
2016 CRV Touring AWD, 2005 Pilot RIP.
16,039 Posts
The on off headaches is likely a sign of concussion And worthy of mentioning to her Doctor.

Hopefully, you'll also find the replacement wheels available.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hey everyone. First off, she's okay so far. Some gnarly bruises, low back pain and on/off headaches. But alive with no broken bones.

She was coming home from work Saturday morning and hit a running parked car that wasn't fully pulled to the side of the road. I guess the driver got out and walked across the street to talk to a lady walking her dog. Black Tahoe parked under the shade. My wife didn't notice it till it was to late to avoid, slammed on her brake but plowed right into it.

Now I'm dealing with the insurance, they've declared it an "Obvious Total Loss" and now I'm waiting for the Valuation report to tell me what they believe it's worth and what they'll pay us after the finance. We still owe $20,075, has 38k miles. Anyways... here's a few pictures. She was a bit surprised it never warned her to brake or tried on it's own, but looking at it, I think it was just out of sight of the radar.
I’ll buy the rims off you

·
Registered
140 Posts
1st I'm glad everyone is ok.
Certainly totaled.
Would not be an easy DIY rebuild.
Damage here = rail damage.
View attachment 146283
Definitely some chassis pulling equipment required for this repair. Or the old cut the front off a rear ended one and weldy weldy, good as new. Car safety has come a long way. My nephew sent me a link to a video of what cars of the future were going to be like in the mind of those living in the 50s. It was a neat video, but I told him he should be thankful that we have learned since then. Most of the cars would have been death traps. Cars today may all look alike, but I guess its the price of safety standards.

·
Registered
9,383 Posts
Definitely some chassis pulling equipment required for this repair. Or the old cut the front off a rear ended one and weldy weldy, good as new. Car safety has come a long way. My nephew sent me a link to a video of what cars of the future were going to be like in the mind of those living in the 50s. It was a neat video, but I told him he should be thankful that we have learned since then. Most of the cars would have been death traps. Cars today may all look alike, but I guess its the price of safety standards.
The 2017 Pilot I took the front end off had a tremendous amount of spot welds. Drilled most of them out by hand until I found a $99 plasma cutter. Older Hondas were not near as bad to rebuild.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts