Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wife hears 'Fluttering noise' - (Fixed)

This seems minor but it bugs my wife.

She swears she hears a 'fluttering noise' inside the car, near her right ear, when she rides in the car. She keeps thinking it is something to do with the shoulder harness - maybe where it attaches to the pillar but she can't make it stop by messing with it. Speed of car doesn't seem to have much to do with it - she hears the noise at 30 or 70.

I have poor hearing so the Pilot seems absolutely silent to me.

What to do? Fix the car, turn up the stereo, ear muffs for wife? :8:

JJ

·
Registered
185 Posts
Mild Case of the Dreaded Scrunch ?

Might be a mild case of the dreaded "Scrunch" ? Try having her lower the window just slightly or put a little pressure on the top of the door/window to see if there's any noticible change.

Ramirami [you're not at work, are you ? !!] also beat me to it but you might want to check the back windows to make sure they are fully up.

·
Registered
7,953 Posts
are all the windows all the way up....the noise of wind coming into the Pilot from the windows is "fluttering " like....

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Doesn't appear to be a window

I've checked all the windows - they appear to be closing correctly.

I may have to get somebody else to ride in the car since I can't hear it at all.

JJ

·
Registered
88 Posts
re: fluttering noise

Maybe I can help a little. Overall, my Pilot has been free from the scrunch that people have mentioned on this board. However, during a recent trip, I heard a "fluttering" sound sort of like a faint rubbing of rubber near the top of the door sill near my ear. It was a windy day and I noticed that the noise would be loudest when there was a strong cross wind across the highway blowing directly into the side of the car (driver's side, of course). As soon as I felt a slight push on the side of the car from the crosswind, the "flutter" sound would occur. I concluded that the crosswind is pushing against the door and hence, against the door weatherstripping, making the "flutter" or slight rubbing sound. I don't have a solution, but at least I think I know what's causing it.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks

Thanks for your suggestions.

ramirami - I'll test all the windows today to see that they are indeed closing completely (Close the window on a dollar bill then slide back and forth to see if there are any gaps)

Supo - I'll lube all the door weatherstripping.

BTW - My wife says thanks for trying to help her.

JJ

·
Premium Member
6,729 Posts
Re: Thanks

raleighpilot said:

I'll test all the windows today to see that they are indeed closing completely (Close the window on a dollar bill then slide back and forth to see if there are any gaps)

Let me know how this works out. This is the test I always used on a frameless door window, but had never heard of anyone using it on a conventional door window.

:)

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Fluttering Noise Fixed

I tried the dollar bill in the window to see if I could detect any gaps in the window seal. Windows on the Pilot close so tightly that I tore off about a third of the dollar bill... :eek:

Problem was fixed by applying silicone lubricant to the right rear door seal. :D

Thanks for your help.

JJ

1 - 10 of 10 Posts