Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this is wierd...I am pretty sure that till 2 months back when the "gas needed" light used to come on I could fill 17 odd gallons after that....

however the past couple of times when the "gas low light" came on I would take only 15 gallons and the tank was full...

why would this happen....am I losing it??:( :3: :mad:

·
Registered
423 Posts
Maybe you were parked on an incline.

Mine has always come on at the 15 gal needed to fill mark.

8 post to go!

·
Registered
283 Posts
I've notcied this as well. There was a couple months that I ran my Pilot until the light came on. Sometimes I would put 15 and other times 17. I haven't run it low enough for the light to come on in some time now but I'll try to keep an eye on it when I do.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Gas tank will not fill up

Well I don't know if its just my Pilot or please if anyone knows tell me what I am doing wrong. When I try to fill up the pump shuts off at around 13 gallons allowing me to only pump 3/4 way full.

I took it to the dealer thinking something was wrong with the fuel gauge and they tell me I have to pull the pump out when it shuts off, let the gas drain and then try to fill up the rest. They tell me its an SUV feature.

Now I have tried this and it doesnt work. The pump keeps clicking off so I just give up. Has anyone experience this??? Please help. It's extremely annoying. It can not be that difficult to fill up gas!

·
Premium Member
6,729 Posts
Re: Gas tank will not fill up

Originally posted by
Well I don't know if its just my Pilot or please if anyone knows tell me what I am doing wrong. When I try to fill up the pump shuts off at around 13 gallons allowing me to only pump 3/4 way full.

I took it to the dealer thinking something was wrong with the fuel and they tell me I have to pull the pump out when it shuts off, let the gas drain and then try to fill up the rest. They tell me its an SUV feature.

Now I have tried this and it work. The pump keeps clicking off so I just give up. Has anyone experience this??? Please help. It's extremely annoying. It can not be that difficult to fill up gas!
Not much fun when your first post deals with a problem with your new Pilot!!!:(

I don't remember ever seeing a "problem" posted quite like this one. I know that when mine shuts off, the needle is normally just a tad below the full mark - and if I baby it a while, I can get at least another gallon in and bring the needle above the mark. This is normally not recommended though, by most manufacturers (to fill beyond the normal shut off point).

As for your dealer's answer about "SUV feature" :bsflag:

Have you tried filling up at a different pump or service station?

:confused:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Re: Gas tank will not fill up

Thanks for your quick response. I had a gut feeling that it was not working correctly..even though my service rep tells me that ' it is how SUV tanks are.'

Yes, I have tried to fill up at various gas stations and even various brands just to make sure it was not one brand over the other. My husband was only able to get it to FULL once by constantly clicking on the pump for about 10 times and getting the tank to overflow. I refuse to think this is normal.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts