Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I understand in most cases within the same generation there are minor changes, so it’s up to everyone deciding if it’s worth getting the “latest of the latest”, and pay more for just a few more additions, or get a previous year model cheaper.

Since both 2019 and 2020 models seem to be identical (leaving Black Edition aside)... If Honda will continue selling the 2019, how would they justify someone paying more for the 2020 when it’s the exact same car? Unless there are software improvements or things that have not been announced yet, I will be getting a new car within 2-3 months and as of right now I wonder if it would be plat out stupid getting the 2020 instead of the 2019 model.

·
Registered
172 Posts
One thing that can potentially play a role is resale value, as the 2020 model will have more of it compared to 2019 when looking at them side by side at some point in the future.

·
Registered
415 Posts
there is an easy answer to your question right off the bat. You may not be like this type of person but many are and that is, people just want the absolute newest even if nothing has changed and simply something on paper or official year update. And also, by the time the 2020 is out, dealers are aggressively trying to get rid of their 2019 stock. So which means the demographic of people who dont want to buy USED will have no choice but to get a 2020. You are certainly true, for those wanting to save money, why get a 2020 if it looks like 2019 is the same. That is when aggresive people looking for deals thrive and when they wait to buy a car because they have more negotiating power and dealers are more open to it because they want to get rid of 2019 models. But like i said, when all those new 2019 stock is gone, and you get someone who has the mentality of "nah i dont want a used car even if its 2019 and only 1000 miles or whatever" they will fork out the money for just getting a new 2020.

so based on the news, the 2020 is staying all the same, so you better be ready and time it right if you want brand new 0 miles from the dealership and keep an eye out when the 2020 models hit the dealership then go out there and low ball for the 2019 models because chances are they will be more willing, because a customer will go in the dealership and see a 2020 model and a 2019 model both new both no changes, just tell the sales guy why would i pay X amount for the 2019 model which is on the way out when 2020 model is same price. cars depreciate value right off the lot and they know that.

only problem with this is, you will be limited in color and trim levels the longer you wait. but i know the best deals is when the dealership has like only 1 left of an outgoing model, theyll get rid of that thing easy

·
Administrator
15,522 Posts
My local Honda dealers lot was looked very empty today. Perhaps a lot of 2020 Pilots and Ridgelines are arriving today.

Certainly if you look at the 19 price thread, there are some great deals happening.

·
Registered
54 Posts
2020 seems like a lame duck model year.

They tweeted or added content in previous years. Standing pat in a highly competitive segment, while competitors roll out all new models just doesn’t make sense.

·
Registered
172 Posts
2020 seems like a lame duck model year.

They tweeted or added content in previous years. Standing pat in a highly competitive segment, while competitors roll out all new models just doesn’t make sense.
They just had a refresh/redesign with the 2019 model, so not much could really be expected the very next year.

·
Registered
22 Posts
You need to look beyond features to understand why it might be worthwhile.

While to the user it is the same vehicle with the same features, you have no idea of the underlying engineering improvements which make it more reliable, require less maintenance or provide better performance in general. There are probably hundreds of those changes which make it better.

But if you don’t care or think the 19s are good enough the same way someone might think an iPhone X is perfectly fine compared to the XS, then you can’t go wrong with a 19 either.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Also the big factor would be unless you pay cash, special financing rates could be a big decision into your purchase.

2019 Touring AWD MSM
2016 Touring AWD MSM (traded-in)

·
Registered
54 Posts
They just had a refresh/redesign with the 2019 model, so not much could really be expected the very next year.
I wasn’t expecting anything to be redesigned, but I was hoping for option changes or small improvements that they usually make each year. Big thing I was looking for was 2nd row captains chairs option on EX-L

1 - 9 of 9 Posts