Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, new to this forum; looks great! I am currently stuck between the 2019 Pilot and 2019 Subaru Ascent. Been to multiple dealers of both and driven several. Prices are very close after negotiating. Why did you pick the Pilot over the Ascent and others. Pilot didn’t fare so great in the newest consumer Reports rankings and the Ascent was number 1. Thank you!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I went with the 2019 Pilot Touring AWD.

I test drove the Ascent Touring the same morning, and I felt the Ascent was rougher overall, and not as refined as the Pilot. Engine appeared to be louder on the Ascent, and cruising around parking lots, driveways and speed bumps I can say I definitely felt the road more than doing the same on Pilot.

For the interior, IMHO, the Pilot is laid out more logically and the infotainment system more intuitive. Granted I didn't spend much time fiddling around in the Ascent, it didn't feel natural to me. I prefer the center console on the Pilot because it's the sliding type, where as on the Ascent it'd have to open the lid which is the usually parking space for my wife's purse, which will end up getting dumped into the back seat each time it needed to be opened.

But for my own reasons going with the Pilot, my garage isn't that deep, so with the Ascent having and inch or two more length than the Pilot makes walking around my already cramped garage more challenging.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I went with Pilot

After much consideration, I chose a 2019 Pilot EX-L AWD. It was a close call. The two primary reasons were: 1) Buying version 1.0 of the Ascent struck me as risky. Brand new models always have some bugs to work out. Even the 2016 Pilot redesign introduced some issues. So I strongly suspect there will be some gotcha's in the first Ascent. 2) I was more comfortable with the tried-and-true V6 engine/6-speed transmission in the Pilot EX-L than I was with the 4-cylinder/CVT in the Ascent. I drove a previous generation Pilot for 15 years, and know that Honda drive train is solid.

There were other, smaller things (tire width, overall length, interior finish choices), but those two mechanical items were the differentiator for me. Like I said, it was a close call. But so far I am very happy with my choice.

(You didn't ask about the Toyota Highlander explicitly. Also a decent option, but tiny third row and cramped headroom made me take that off the list. Don't believe the published specs, Highlander head room is much less in every row than the Pilot based on my scientific trying-to-squeeze-into-them-all method.)

-C2

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies. I didn't ask about the Highlander because of the small third row. I crossed that off right away for that very reason.

·
Registered
32 Posts
The Ascent and Pilot were among our "finalists" when looking for a new three-row SUV. I'll admit the Ascent seemed better on paper (consumer reports, etc) but we liked driving the Pilot more and preferred its handling/overall driving dynamics. If you check the Ascent forums, a few people have reported issues with motion sickness (though this is clearly a small minority.) But, my wife and I both experienced this in our test drive. So we ended up with the Pilot.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts