Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Being newly retired, I fell for the Car Shield ads knowing a new engine or transmission would be too big a hit to my retirement income. Especially after reading about the transmission problems on the Hondas and specifically theI recently purchased a 2012 Pilot EX-L with 80k miles. Installed the VCM disabler gizmo but still felt some TC or tranny shudder after making turns. I asked the dealer to fix it on my 90 warranty but he said without "codes" they wouldn't fix it. I tried to get Car Shield to fix it, but they said unless the transmission actually fails, blows up, or completely stops working, no dice.

After more reading, including here, I tried the Valvoline Max D&R fix and so far that seems to have quieted the shudder to where I don't notice it anymore.

So with summer here (I bought the car last fall), I'm noticing the A/C compressor clutch cycling on/off giving off a loud whine. The dealer informed me of a TSB that admits a harmonic interference between the A/C compressor and the power steering pump causes the noise. The suggested fix by Honda is to replace the power steering pump and the mounting bracket with a beefier three bolt mounting scheme. Dealer estimate, $1,200 and no covered by the 90 day warranty. So I figured I'd give the Car Shield folks a chance to pay for it. It's the best level policy you can get for a non-new car. But I'm told while the AC compressor is covered, if it failed, the power steering pump is not.

So far, I've got more than a $Grand (actually $2k for two cars) in premiums paid to Car Shield. No benefit so far. I see Car Shield like catastrophic health insurance, forget getting any preventative work done, only heart attacks and strokes are covered.so loud noises and shudders don't count. The parts, if they're even covered, have to actually blow up.

I wish I had put the over $2k into a savings account for car repairs. So, while I may regret it tomorrow, I'm cancelling both my Car Shield policies. The take away is, even before things have blown up, if there aren't any diagnostic codes, your word doesn't matter. And even with codes, the mechanical parts have to physically fail. Electrical parts like solenoids, sensors, and such aren't covered. And Honda's own TSB suggested repairs aren't honored by the dealer nor does Car Shield, at least in the two specific instances relating to the transmission and power steering fixes.

When I realized I was paying Car Shield more than I pay for homeowners insurance which covers a lot more, my only excuse is "better late than never." Bye bye Car Shield.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Good call. These warranty’s are rarely worth the hassle and cost.

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
I'm amused by the dealer sales folks who try to convince us that the cars are wonderful, then the F&I guy who tells us the car is crap and we need an extended warranty. There's a healthy (~~50%) commission for selling these extended policies. So I generally propose that folks toss the premium payment amounts in a cookie jar marked "Pilot Transmission". If the transmission finally fails after a long life of regular fluid swaps, there's the money in that cookie jar. The Car Shield guys are doing the same thing, they just gather from more people, skimp on what they actually do vs. what they sell you, and keep the rest. That failing transmission? The fine print in the contract says they can install a used boneyard transmission in your car when yours craps the bed. But they only have to do it after you demonstrate (read: prove) that all the regular services have been performed and the transmission hasn't been "abused".

I'm not sure how hard it is a to install the upgraded PS and compressor mounting. The biggest part of that campaign was a software fix that raises the engine idle speed slightly when the AC is on.

If your car was sold to you by a Honda dealer or you have it serviced by Honda, ask them to install all the PCM patches to get the system up to date. Add your VCM-defeat device after they do the updates.

Reactions: briantii

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The Honda dealer did update the transmission software. As I understand it, the shift points get moved upward in rpm. Whatever the software was supposed to fix, it didn't fix the shudder, and in fact made it a tad worse. Not in intensity but in how long during the acceleration it lasted. No improvement in the PS whine.

When I called Car Shield to cancel my contracts, they said they would but that I would still get charged for another month. Why? Because they have a 15 day advance notice stipulation in the contracts and it's only 12 days until the next month starts. They only need 15 MINUTES to open a new account and charge your first month.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Suits and ties sitting around big conference room tables scheming ways to boink their fellow man.

·
Registered
2020 Highlander XLE 2012 Honda Pilot EX-L
256 Posts
I bought the Hondcare 8/120 when mine was new for around $1400 and it has paid out 3x, once on the rack, once on the driver's side seat frame and once on the propeller shaft. 1st time I ever bought an extended warranty on a new vehicle and it has paid out for me well. With this in mind, two years ago I bought my wife a new 2018 Hyundai Sante Fe Sport, our second Hyundai and as most know they have a robust factory warranty. Since to my knowledge Hyundai doesn't offer its own "in house" warranty like Honda, I looked into car shield to take the 5/60 B2B coverage out further and possibly the powertrain as well since it is a Turbo. I shopped it before it had 5k miles on it and was absolutely shocked at the ridiculous pricing and the aggressiveness of the sales peeps. It was nuts, like over 3K! For that kind of dough it better be lifetime, but its not. They also push the hell out of financing the warranty. No thanks.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My Car Shield contracts are on a month to month auto renew basis, not a lump sum fixed term. They run about $100/month, so in the past year or so for two cars I've shelled out about $2,500 in premiums. My homeowners is $2,000 a year and covers the house that is more than ten times the value of the cars plus it covers liability, not just mechanical things. As much as they spend on advertising, it must be a huge moneymaker.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I considered Car Shield and one other when I bought my '12 EX-L last month. But they made it impossible to price the plans in a way that you could comparison shop, and the pricing was alarmingly fluid- seeming hefty discounts if I would sign with them on the spot. It all made me suspicious and seem very scammy.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Statistically Honda quality provides a sure bet of a hefty profit on extended warranties, especially if the coverage is limited. I bought a new 2017 V6 Accord and have been getting calls for the last year from at least 10 different numbers (I block the numbers as I get them) in 8 different states trying to sell me an extended warranty. it may never stop!! I personally do not believe in extended warranties on Honda or other quality products. (It may be worth it on Volkswagen products though! ;))

1 - 9 of 9 Posts