Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought the sandstone Pilot last month and an loving it!!! But people who are not familiar with the Honda line are always saying..."hey nice CRV" aarrggg! This is my 5 generation Honda and so maybe I'm just a little to touchy.

·
Registered
411 Posts
It does look like the gen 1 CRV in the front. We have a 97 cypress green CRV, so I don't think we'll be getting a green Pilot. It would look too much alike.

I personally like the gen 1 CRV more than the gen 2 CRV. So I like the styling of the Pilot.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
You know the funny thing is, when I'm on the road, from a distance, I often mistake the CR-V for a Pilot as well! But only when I'm looking at it from the side or the front, but not the back.

·
Registered
481 Posts
My wife is the same way. She often mistakes a CRV (front end) in the distance, for a Pilot. What's interesting is that they are usually 2nd generation CRV's, which apparently look less like the Pilot than the 1st generation.

When we first started considering Pilots, I did not yet know the general shape or distinctive characteristics (i.e. light spacing, grill shape, height, etc.) of this vehicle. So, I often mistook the Highlander (can I say that here??) for a Pilot, based on it being wider than the small/mid-size SUVs, and the ride height.

I got smarter over time.

Incidently, I parked in front of a Highlander at Home Depot last week and really saw that they are two distinctly different vehicles. Very happy with the Pilot.

Also parked beside an X5 and MDX at church last week and the Pilot is clearly the tallest and biggest (more or less) of the three.

Cheers,
Rob

·
Registered
138 Posts
I was touchy too at first w/ all the CRV comments I got from my wife and other people - but now I don't worry about it because there's no satisfaction like running into an Oddy owner who's shocked, confused, and has that "I would have waited if I had known" look when they see that big ol "H" on the back of a big ol SUV! :D

·
Premium Member
6,729 Posts
Of course you can always have fun with people by simply removing the Pilot logo!! :D

I removed mine and I feel it looks better without. Initially my better-half was not excited about the idea, but agrees now that it looks better without the "Pilot" logo.

·
Registered
900 Posts
GR8PILOT said:
dumb question- what's an "oddy"?
Odyssey, the Honda minivan
(Spelling it is the challenge for me)

·
Registered
465 Posts

·
Registered
900 Posts
Boy talk about thinking alike... three of us posted same answer at same time! :)

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
You know, since I drive a CR-V and spend so much of my spare time ogling Pilots, you'd think I'd know better. But every time I drive past the local Honda dealer, I catch a glimpse of a V and think, just for a second, that it's a Pilot.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Optical Illusion

I think people think our Pilots are CRV's because you don't realize just how dang BIG the Pilot is until you park next to one, or drive behind one. The height of the vehichle, it's pug nose and not being too long makes it look smaller than it is I think. But then you get inside and realize the differences. CRV's really look like Civic size inside. I love the versatility of the CRV though, very thoughtfully designed. I think the two are very different looking from the side and back, but yep, that front grill really looks 1gen CRV. I wish Honda had included a chrome strip like the latest gen Civic EX, and maybe a strip above the license plate. (gold emblems standard on the
sandstone of course ;) )
I think I'll go park my Pilot next to a 'V now. We must educate!:D

·
Registered
196 Posts
That's why they call it "Pilot"

Can you imagine the confusion if our rigs were called MR-V like most of the rest of the world? Just proves the old addage, "No one ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public".
:32:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Had a 97 CR-V right up until I traded it in for my Pilot two months ago. When I first saw the Pilot it was obvious to me that they took some styling off the early CR-V.

When people ask me what it is I tell them it's a Pilot, aka a CR-V on Steroids.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts