Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm curious why people are picking the Pilot. Reviewers are saying Honda carefully designed it to have the the things people were looking for. Some are saying it's a family car. That obviously was the case for us. Are there one or two features that made you pick the pilot?

In our case we wanted a 4 wheel drive SUV that fit 7 or 8. My wife refuses to be drive a van any longer. When you have 3 kids its nice to have the extra seating when hauling "guests". So we looked at the Durango and the Explorer. Then someone told us about the Pilot. We immediately decided to buy it after seeing it. The main reasons we chose it were:

- Better fuel economy but decent power (The Durango has terrible mileage ratings and our Mazda MPV was wimpy at 170 hp.)
- More room (wider than both Durango & Explorer and I do haul the occasional 4x8 sheet of wallboard.)
- And with our model: The integrated DVD looked great for trips with the kids.

What are the main pros that made you select Pilot? What other vehicles did you consider?

·
Registered
340 Posts
The biggest factor for us was the RES. We were all ready to get an MDX, even had a deposit down, but switched when we saw the Pilot was coming with the RES. Very glad we did. I wanted quiet and smooth, and the Pilot beats the MDX there too.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Replaced our small Jeep Cherokee and supplemented our minimal seating capacity in our Accord. Reasons:

- Honda quality!
- AWD SUV or Station Wagon - Not a minivan
- 3 row seating for 6+
- Not too big, not too small
- Better highway manners than the Jeep
- Price was right!

·
Registered
54 Posts
My reasons:

- need seating for 6 occasionally
- refuse to drive a minivan
- cheaper than the mdx with all features I need
- not impressed with domestic copetitors
- Sequoia seemed to big and under powered
- Grand Cherokee on life support

·
Registered
919 Posts
My list looks almost identical to Autobahn's. Also add:

Factory RES
Engine (3.5 VTEC)
Rear climate controls
Width

·
Registered
290 Posts
Our search was limited to full-sized SUVs, thus eliminating all of the mini-utes like the Tribute, the CR-V, the Xterra, etc.

In order of importance:

1. Reliability: Based on research via Consumer Reports and based on my past experience, I had determined that I would NOT be buying a domestic. We limited our search to Toyota/Lexus, Nissan/Infinity, and Honda/Acura.

2. Fuel Economy: I have been driving a V8 Jeep Grand Cherokee with All-time 4 wheel drive and was getting absolutely horrible gas mileage (<14 mpg avg). I decided to limit choices to 6 cylinder engines, for this reason (Bye Bye Toyota Seqoia).

3. Utility: I wanted a sport utility that actually provided "utility" and that leaned more on the truck side than the car side (Bye Bye Toyota Highlander - based on Camry platform).

4. Performance: I wanted comparable performance. Coming from a 245hp V8, I didn't want to have to sacrifice too much on power and performance (Bye Bye Toyota 4-runner - 183hp 6cyl).

5. Price: I was willing to shell out a fair amount of money, but I wanted to make sure that I was getting the most bang for my money. Since the Pilot uses 67% of the same parts as the Acura MDX (most of the differences being exterior and interior styling elements) I decided that it did not make sense for me to consider the MDX, especially when considering the next criteria. This also ultimately eliminated the RX-300 from the running.

6. Style: This is where subjectivity really kicks in. I know what I like and what I don't. I personally, do not find the Acura MDX all that attractive, which made it easier to choose the Pilot over it. Of course my wife was also a part of the decision making process, and she exerted her influence in this area also (this was probably her #1 criteria). She preferred the Lexus RX-300 overall. This is where we both ruled out the Pathfinder, finding it somewhat outdated (it is a nice looking vehicle however, but we had to eliminate something).

7. Coolness: Of course the cost is driven by all of the cool features that you add. Our minimum was that it include the following: power-everything (i.e. windows, door-locks, mirrors, etc), CD/Stereo/Cassette, 4 wheel drive, cloth interior (I did NOT want leather again), abs, air bags, remote entry, security system, alloy wheels, roof rails, and tow package. Other options were cool but not required. The third row of seats and the many power outlets were a big plus in the coolness factor for the Pilot.

I will point out that I learned about the Pilot only about a week before I bought it. I had never heard of it and it was not in my list of considerations until I saw one of the crappy and useless TV ads that hinted at its upcoming release. I then did some research online and decided to add it to the list.

After I went to see it and drive it (6/3/2002 - the first day that the Pilots were made publicly available for sale), I decided that it was exactly what I was looking for and bought it on the spot.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Oh yeah...

The rear climate controls were another BIG plus, especially for a vehicle this big and with this much seating capacity.

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
I traded in a 2001 Highlander, which I liked, but:

-Pilot is larger
-Uses Regular gas, Highlander recommended (really needed) premium
-Quieter
-Better sound system
-Honda quality
-Potential Toyota sludge problem (as noted by the two letters I received from Toyota modifying their warranty to cover possible issues under certain circumstances)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Although my selection was based on some clear criteria as I have not yet recieved my Pilot my final decision is still not tested and confirmed. Take delivery first week of Sept. Build date August 18th.

I was going out to buy a Highlander and though I would stop and look at the Pilot (we drive an Odyssey Van). Once I got in it I knew I liked it.

Great sound system
Quite
Great ride (except braking)
The biggest issue for me (6'4" tall) the room inside. It felt very roomy.

I wanted and MDX but could not justify the money for an SUV.

Am looking forward to many comfortable years.

:1:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Our Pilot replaced a four year old Tahoe. The deciding factors were:

1. reliability
2. size -- not too big, not too small....
3. reliability
4. quiet, comforable interior
5. reliability
6. handling
7. reliability

As you migh guess, our Tahoe was falling apart.....

Phil Reedy

·
Registered
310 Posts
MonkDM said:
I wanted and MDX but could not justify the money for an SUV.
MonkDM,

Pssst. (Whisper) I think you'll find that around these parts the Pilot is every bit as much of an SUV as the MDX with the exception that the X might have a little more "sport" whereas the Pilot might have a little more "utility". ;)

With the pending arrival of your Pilot, let me be among the first to welcome you to the family.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Had a pickup and with a growing family needed a larger car.

the pilot is not a minivan
It's a Honda (and looks nice next to the cr-v in the driveway)
It's huge inside
side air bags
anti lock brakes
4 wheel drive
cupholders - all 9 of them!

·
Registered
143 Posts
Why Buy?

In order of importance;

1. Child number 3 and the third row seat
2. We hate Mini-Vans,
3. 4wd for the snow,
4. Safety and
5. Price (MSRP is still a bargain)

·
Registered
120 Posts
Why buy?

1. Tired of driving minivans. (almost 10 years.)
2. Honda reputation for reliability.
3. Love the vtec setup
4. VTM 4 on the rear axles.
5. Third row seating a must.
6. Nice look to it. Also considered MDX.
7. Want the RES.

havasu blue EX-L RES due in about a week.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Why did I buy my Pilot?

I wanted an SUV.

I wanted a reliable SUV.

When I saw the Pilot - I knew that was MY vehicle. No question - I was going to own one.

Kinda like being in "love." You just know...

·
Registered
168 Posts
The wife had been nagging for the minivan (Odyssey) ever since I started working for Honda. Then, out of the blue, a Sandstone EXL-dvd shows up and we were sold! The main reasons to switch?
1) The Pilot's front seats are more comfortable
2) One more passenger (like I need more kids in the vehicle right?)
3) An awsome A/C unit pumping out 19,000 BTU's
4) The DVD entertainment system does wonders for kids
5) And for my tight butt.......my lease was sufficiently less then the previous Ford Exploder lease (sorry dad.....35 year Ford employee)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Okay, enough already! I have to know... what is RES? I have been researching this car for months and still don't know what RES is. Could someone please explain it to me? LOL

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Spock said:
Okay, enough already! I have to know... what is RES? I have been researching this car for months and still don't know what RES is. Could someone please explain it to me? LOL
Rear Entertainment System

·
Registered
25 Posts
The list is simple:

1. Honda quality. Hondas have been a favorite at my house for years, the wife & I counted 'em up and since we've been married this is Honda number 6 in 10 years - add 2 more for me from before we were married. (However, have had a goodly number of Fords too but as of late they have kissed me good bye as a new-car customer for a number of reasons I won't go into.)

2. Space. The Pilot is huge inside without being a behmoth on the outside. Perfect for our 2 kids and a couple of guests.

3. VTEC and AWD. Had a '96 Ford Explorer with the V8 AWD system and loved it. The safety of having that extra grip on a bad road/weather and knowing it will work automatically was a big selling point - particularly on those long ski trips to Utah. :)

4. It just feels right. Those who have had a few Hondas will understand what I am talking about. There is just a certain feel about driving a Honda that you don't get with any other make. Probably that the car is generally well-balanced and the controls are in just the right places where you expect them and there is a consistent feel to them. Hondas aren't always the most technologically advanced, but they are always competent and reliable.

- Gil
'03 Redrock EX-L
'92 Ford Taurus SHO Green-

1 - 20 of 31 Posts