• 1st Generation Pilot Owner

• 2nd Generation Pilot Owner

• 3rd Generation Pilot Owner

• Other Honda V6 Owner

• Like To Hangout Here

21 - 40 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
9,292 Posts

·
Registered
9,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Thought there would be more Other V6 Honda owners. Maybe in stealth mode.

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
3,844 Posts
My wife and I bought our 2005 Pilot new back in February 2005 a few months after the extended warranty on our 1997 Dodge Stratus expired. We needed a vehicle which could better accommodate all the baby gear for our daughter and her future sibling. I stumbled across this forum some years later when the airflow to the middle row was significantly restricted. Over the years I've learned so much from the well detailed DIY threads (I started out barely knowing how to change the oil) and helpful members of this forum. It's not just the Pilot talk that keeps me coming back on a regular basis . . . it's the camaraderie, lack of egos, and off-topic discussions which make this a truly enjoyable forum to be part of.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Current state of my pilot, Im interested in any feedback been looking to lift or spacers to offset the wheels a bit out

·
Registered
3,767 Posts
Current state of my pilot, Im interested in any feedback been looking to lift or spacers to offset the wheels a bit out
Yes and yes! Both would look good and a the lift will help with ground clearance.

·
Premium Member
2005 Pilot EXL
429 Posts
My wife and I bought our 2005 Pilot new back in February 2005 a few months after the extended warranty on our 1997 Dodge Stratus expired. We needed a vehicle which could better accommodate all the baby gear for our daughter and her future sibling. I stumbled across this forum some years later when the airflow to the middle row was significantly restricted. Over the years I've learned so much from the well detailed DIY threads (I started out barely knowing how to change the oil) and helpful members of this forum. It's not just the Pilot talk that keeps me coming back on a regular basis . . . it's the camaraderie, lack of egos, and off-topic discussions which make this a truly enjoyable forum to be part of.
Well said!! Exact same reasons for me 😁👍👍

·
Registered
3 Posts
I bought an 08 EXL CU in 2011 to tow my boat and also to use daily while covering my sales territory of 7 states and Eastern Canada. It had 45K on it and it ran very well until the tranny went out at 175K. Rather than spend 5K to repair/replace, I bought a 13 EXL CU with 25K. I have since retired and got rid of the boat but love it as , while I have to climb in, I can just slide out and it rides better than my wife's 19 CRV. It also is paid for and at 117K still performs well.

·
Registered
2016 Pilot EX AWD.
27 Posts
My 3rd gen is the 16th Honda I have owned. I only have the Pilot as it is my preferred choice between it and a Ridgeline for a tow vehicle.

·
Registered
4 Posts
It was said there are more here on the forum because they own a 1st Generation Pilot. Let's find out.
We needed a reliable second vehicle for $5k or less two years ago, we purchased a 2005 Pilot. It got totaled by a hit and run driver while parked last year, so we just did the same thing and bought a 2007. Car insurance is ridiculous where I live and having a paid off vehicle is a must.

·
Registered
2016 Honda Pilot Elite AWD
37 Posts
My Wifey loves her 2016 Pilot Elite AWD "Dark Forest" @ 50k miles now (our first pilot). We got it last 8/2015. Dealership reprogram it 2x. About 5 months ago I became a member here and learned many things about our pilot. We are very interested in prolonging its life (300k miles more pls) thats why I installed the S-VCM, catch can, skid plate(engine & gas tank soon) and recently changed the brake pads and rotors early because of my wifeys heavy right foot. All these modz I learned from this forum. Thank Y'all for sharing your DIY knowledge.

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,063 Posts
Oh yeah, In 2008
We actually went to a dealer near Clear Lake/El Lago TX. (Think South of Houston). to buy a new CRV.
We had 2 young sons at the time. They were 8 and 6yrs old.
We put the 2 car seats in the back, and went for a test drive. It drove/rode fine.

Then, my wife looked over and pointed and said, 'How about one of those?' She was pointing at several Silver FWD SE Pilots they had on the lot.
We put the car seats in one and went for a test drive. yep- done. Put down payment and drove it home!
We still have that same 08- now has193K miles!

Last November we also bought a 2015 LX, 4WD with only 64K on it!

·
Registered
47 Posts
I bought my 2005 Pilot in June of 2005 because the transmission on my Ford Windstar blew up. That was after the engine was replace under warrantee. I wanted a vehicle with AWD and big enough to carry all my toys and stuff. I was done with driving a minivan. The next choice was a vehicle the size of the Pilot. It could carry 8 people, which was useful when the family was big, but the bodies were small. The kids are all long gone. I've kept the Pilot because it has been fabulously reliable, drives great and still holds all my toys. Haven't used the back seats in ten years. It also hauls lumber and stuff. I have 255K miles and plan on 300K. I'll probably get a smaller electric vehicle then. I'll be too old to want to haul lumber, etc. Just need something big enough for my skis, bike, golf clubs and hiking stuff, not all at the same time.

·
Registered
9,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
1st Geners runnin away with the poll.
Guess I shouldn't be shocked.
Maybe 2nd Gens have less problems?
(Not implying 1st gens have more problems)

·
Registered
2010 Pilot EXL
114 Posts
Oh yeah, In 2008
We actually went to a dealer near Clear Lake/El Lago TX. (Think South of Houston). to buy a new CRV.
We had 2 young sons at the time. They were 8 and 6yrs old.
We put the 2 car seats in the back, and went for a test drive. It drove/rode fine.

Then, my wife looked over and pointed and said, 'How about one of those?' She was pointing at several Silver FWD SE Pilots they had on the lot.
We put the car seats in one and went for a test drive. yep- done. Put down payment and drove it home!
We still have that same 08- now has193K miles!

Last November we also bought a 2015 LX, 4WD with only 64K on it!
I used to live in El Lago in the late 70's Nice spot on Clear Lake. I was a NASA Engineer. I'm guessing you are too?

Astrobuf

·
Registered
112 Posts
2004 Pilot, original owner that undervalued the attributes of the Pilot. The Pilot has only been back to the dealer for a TB special in 2014 ($850-150). Never knew there was a decent following of Pilots so didn't join a forum until 2020. The Pilot has been remarkably reliable for summer vacations out of state and into Canada despite a 17 year-old airless spare. Think I saved this Pilot from becoming a rusty relic of itself and look forward for many more years of cruising. Great bunch of Piloteers here that would make things difficult should the Pilot bite the dust. However I do luv the 2nd generation styling so I have options.....
One of the first things I did was get a real spare.

·
Registered
13 Posts
It was said there are more here on the forum because they own a 1st Generation Pilot. Let's find out.
Hi All,
Please pardon my ignorance, but could you please put the relevant years next to each generation category. I'm sure there are more members who are not exactly sure which generation Pilot they own. Thank you.

I have a 2005 which I believe is 1st Generation. Mine was purchased new here on Long Island, NY and currently has about 90,000 miles on it. I have owned Hondas since my first '79 Accord and have had several Accords since then. I currently own the 2005 Pilot, a 2016 HR-V, and a 2009 S2000. The cars have always been reliable, comfortable and easy to work on so that's why I have stayed with Honda. In the "old days" when I was commuting to work, I would easily get over 150K miles with just regular maintenance.

When we bought the Pilot in 2005, my wife and I owned a preschool so we needed an SUV capable of hauling lots of "stuff". The Pilot seemed to have an almost unlimited cargo capacity and was still comfortable to drive. My wife liked the fact that she was higher up and could see the traffic ahead more easily. Since she is only 5 feet tall, the running boards were a welcome addition to the car.

I joined this forum back in 2005 and although I have not been very active, I learned a lot of useful information about the car and enjoyed the various off-topic conversations. This is definitely one of the better forums available; thanks to all who have made it so good.

A big mistake that I made was not checking in regularly for a few years and missing all the comments and warnings about the dreaded 2005 transmission cooler line problem. Last year mine failed at about 90,000 miles. Fortunately I happened to be across the street from the garage that does my annual inspections so they just pushed the car in and replaced the radiator. I was lucky that the transmission was not damaged but I could have done the work myself and saved a few hundred dollars if I had been paying attention to this forum. Other than that incident, the car has been trouble-free. Next up for the Pilot is a timing belt change that I'm not looking forward to (first one for the Pilot, #6 for me).

Anyway, that's my story. Love my Hondas and this forum.

21 - 40 of 68 Posts