• 3rd Generation Pilot Owner

• Other Honda V6 Owner

• Like To Hangout Here

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
9,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It was said there are more here on the forum because they own a 1st Generation Pilot. Let's find out.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,297 Posts
Had to choose other as you didn't include the New Generation Passport in the choices. It is part of the family you know. Previous 2nd generation owner that went to the Passport.

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
2004 Pilot, original owner that undervalued the attributes of the Pilot. The Pilot has only been back to the dealer for a TB special in 2014 ($850-150). Never knew there was a decent following of Pilots so didn't join a forum until 2020. The Pilot has been remarkably reliable for summer vacations out of state and into Canada despite a 17 year-old airless spare. Think I saved this Pilot from becoming a rusty relic of itself and look forward for many more years of cruising. Great bunch of Piloteers here that would make things difficult should the Pilot bite the dust. However I do luv the 2nd generation styling so I have options.....

·
Registered
9,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Had to choose other as you didn't include the New Generation Passport in the choices. It is part of the family you know. Previous 2nd generation owner that went to the Passport.
Meh, so few..
It's a mini Pilot
But I can fix it if you want.

·
Registered
3,767 Posts
Because my mom had a 1st gen while I was in high school and college and my wife loved it. So when we went to a dealer to look at an Armada for me and they "mistakenly" listed it for $10k less than it was supposed to be she saw the Pilot on the lot and before we even put it in drive for the test drive she told me she wanted it.

And now whenever I send her articles on the new this or that 3 row she continually tells me she loves her Pilot and wants to drive it into the ground. She perk up a slight bit at the new MDX though... responded to the email with "I could drive that"

·
Registered
259 Posts
I don't understand the point of the Passport. It's not appreciably quicker than the Pilot, it doesn't have a better ride, it doesn't have a different engine or transmission, it doesn't have more features for the money...it just has one less row of seats for about the same amount of money.

I'm guessing this is why I hardly ever see them on the road. Honda would've been wise to add a bigger engine and produce a performance variant of the Passport to make it worthwhile to enthusiasts. If it had 50-75 more hp than the Pilot, I would be eager to test drive it. As it stands, I can't figure out why it exists.

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
1,409 Posts
I don't understand the point of the Passport. It's not appreciably quicker than the Pilot, it doesn't have a better ride, it doesn't have a different engine or transmission, it doesn't have more features for the money...it just has one less row of seats for about the same amount of money.

I'm guessing this is why I hardly ever see them on the road. Honda would've been wise to add a bigger engine and produce a performance variant of the Passport to make it worthwhile to enthusiasts. If it had 50-75 more hp than the Pilot, I would be eager to test drive it. As it stands, I can't figure out why it exists.
Similar to the Chevy Blazer and Ford Bronco, the Passport is Honda’s attempt to bring back their off-road capable SUV. At least that’s how Honda had been marketing it.

It has a little bit more ground clearance than the Pilot but other than that it’s pretty much the same.
I see quite a few of them around me. There’s got to be a good amount of people who like their Pilots but no longer need a 3rd row. With everyone going to 4 cylinder turbo engines, the Passport is a good “downsize” without sacrificing too much.

·
Super Moderator
4,297 Posts

With the Odyssey the same thing can be said about the Pilot. Whats the purpose of the Pilot other than to make you fell a little less like you are driving a soccer van.

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
With the Odyssey the same thing can be said about the Pilot. Whats the purpose of the Pilot other than to make you fell a little less like you are driving a soccer van.
Maybe this applies to the current Pilot styling but I certainly didn’t feel the way you’ve described when I traded the 2000 Ody for the 2004 Pilot. I liked my man van but the first gen Pilot was different.

·
Super Moderator
4,297 Posts
Maybe this applies to the current Pilot styling but I certainly didn’t feel the way you’ve described when I traded the 2000 Ody for the 2004 Pilot. I liked my man van but the first gen Pilot was different.
1st gen Pilot: seats 8. Same year range Odyssey: seats 8. Engines in both: J35s producing 244 HP. Same 5 speed automatic transmissions. Body length a a little longer than the Pilot with more cargo room. Basically the Odyssey was the taller sister in a dress while the Pilot was the shorter sister wearing a pants suit.

Honda gave the Odyssey more refinements and the Pilot either 2WD or 4WD. Pretty sister, tomboy sister. Thing is you could buy a 2WD Pilot, who was not a Tomboy, just less refined than her big sister.

·
Registered
506 Posts
I got my first-gen unexpectedly. I had experience with Honda, but not with Pilots.

As it became clear that this thing needed a lot of work that would be easy to do but expensive to buy, I started looking for resources. This is clearly the best for Pilots, but it's also one of the best auto forums I've visited on the internet. I mainly just try to contribute without bringing down the average level of quality, since I've learned so much here.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
9,292 Posts
As a retirement pastime, being on Piloteers with a 1st gen is more fun than trying to paint landscapes with stick men in them or whittlin' on some wood until I can pass it off as furniture.

I agree, that's a dismissively belittling insult. Still LOLed, tho.

·
Registered
2005 Honda Pilot, 191,000 miles
249 Posts
I walked onto a car lot ready to buy a used car with the only requirements being: had to be 4wd/Awd, had to have working AC, and an auto (I drove a stick for 8 years and I was sick of shifting lol). I looked at a way overpriced POS Dakota, a Ford Escape that I was not a fan of, last car that fit those requirements was the pilot. After a quick test drive, knowing I had absolutely no other option I started signing papers. I am glad I got a pilot. In two years it’s never left me stranded, Broke down, given me issues, hasn’t even thrown any engine codes. At 192,000 miles I’ll drive it/maintain it until it either blows up or spontaneously combusts.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts