Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
4,026 Posts
It is interesting how the new Kia/Hyundai SUV (Telluride or Palisade, I get them confused) have returned to a boxier look. 4Runner continues to sell well even though it dates from maybe 2010 or 2011 with few substantive changes. I think the last gen Pilot sold well, at least partly, because it was more in the vein of these vehicles.
Styling is very subjective but my experience is that people buying family haulers like that they look more rugged and purposeful. Not all, but some do. My wife has really only expressed interest in 4Runners and Tellurides to replace her 2nd gen Pilot, this is not an accident. A friend of ours just got a Telluride and when I mentioned the Pilot said it looked like a minivan. Not an accident. Look at the Traverse - it's 3 best years of sales have all been for the 2nd generation which looks more like a Tahoe than the minivan-like 1st gen.

IMO, everyone is entitled to their opinion but the numbers don't lie about what most people think.

Reactions: briantii

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just recently purchased a new Pilot Touring. I know some people say the Pilot is just like a minivan, but it isn't. We had our Sienna for 13 years and the bottom components were rusting out (we live in Ohio) and the amount of money for the repairs just didn't make sense. As for availability, I had to go out of state to get a Black 7 Passenger Touring,

·
Registered
2019 Pilot EX-L AWD, 265-60-18 Defender LTX M/S
602 Posts
I quite like the proportioning of the new MDX and TLX, the longer hood RWD look. Some of the spy photos make it look like that may come to the 2022 Pilot but I worry about the Pilot losing the spacious 3rd row and cargo area. To someone like me, the Highlander (and CX-9, Sorrento, etc.) are not comparable to the Pilot because of the unusable 3rd rows.
Styling is very subjective but my experience is that people buying family haulers like that they look more rugged and purposeful. Not all, but some do. My wife has really only expressed interest in 4Runners and Tellurides to replace her 2nd gen Pilot, this is not an accident. A friend of ours just got a Telluride and when I mentioned the Pilot said it looked like a minivan. Not an accident. Look at the Traverse - it's 3 best years of sales have all been for the 2nd generation which looks more like a Tahoe than the minivan-like 1st gen.

IMO, everyone is entitled to their opinion but the numbers don't lie about what most people think.
I'm fully with cintocrunch on this as is my wife.

Look at the "new" Ridgeline also. They squared off and lengthened the hood and some other boxier styling as it was one of the biggest complaints. Great truck that really works well for many that need or want truck stuff without heavy hauling or off road. Like a minivan the soft rounded styling turned a lot of people away from the "I'm going for a manicure" image.

My wife would trade the Pilot in a heartbeat for a Sequoia, Durango, Tahoe and others. Our trade off is the useable 3rd row, fuel mileage, money.

The need for a better "locking" AWD system, 3rd row for real people pretty much eliminated the Highlander, CX9, Explorer, Traverse, Durango (6cyl). The squared style on Telluride still has it as an option but would need to research the AWD more.

I'm renting an Outback on vacation currently. Many safety features and comfortable but obviously just a wagon with better clearance than Pilot and no 3rd row. She wants to sit higher in something.

·
Registered
4,026 Posts
I'm fully with cintocrunch on this as is my wife.

Look at the "new" Ridgeline also. They squared off and lengthened the hood and some other boxier styling as it was one of the biggest complaints. Great truck that really works well for many that need or want truck stuff without heavy hauling or off road. Like a minivan the soft rounded styling turned a lot of people away from the "I'm going for a manicure" image.

My wife would trade the Pilot in a heartbeat for a Sequoia, Durango, Tahoe and others. Our trade off is the useable 3rd row, fuel mileage, money.

The need for a better "locking" AWD system, 3rd row for real people pretty much eliminated the Highlander, CX9, Explorer, Traverse, Durango (6cyl). The squared style on Telluride still has it as an option but would need to research the AWD more.

I'm renting an Outback on vacation currently. Many safety features and comfortable but obviously just a wagon with better clearance than Pilot and no 3rd row. She wants to sit higher in something.
As a Traverse aficionado, the High Country trim has a clutched rear differential similar to the SH-AWD system. GM did almost nothing to market the system for some reason.

The 2022 Pilot is a carryover.
Dangit, I forgot! Pushed to 2023!

·
Registered
322 Posts
As a Traverse aficionado, the High Country trim has a clutched rear differential similar to the SH-AWD system. GM did almost nothing to market the system for some reason.
GM deleted the G99 twin-clutch rear differential on the Traverse for the 2021 model year - all trims now have the single-clutch AWD system.

Source

The GKN Twinster AWD system used on various GM models including the 2018-2020 Traverse does not overdrive the rear axle like Honda's (i)VTM-4/SH-AWD so it's not nearly as effective at helping create a yaw moment while turning or offering as much of a RWD feel. The Focus RS was the only model I'm aware of that used a GKN Twinster AWD system with rear overdrive.

Source

·
Registered
9,257 Posts
The need for a better "locking" AWD system, 3rd row for real people pretty much eliminated the Highlander, CX9, Explorer, Traverse, Durango (6cyl).
To accommodate that small army, get a Ford Transit van with AWD.
If the AWD system isn't rugged enough for you, then get a van with a Quigley 4x4 conversion.

·
Registered
252 Posts
funny how some of the posts in this thread make it sound like the 3rd gen is a sales failure compared to the 2nd gen, whereas the 3rd gen seems to be the most successful as far as sales go. granted, wikipedia might not be the most reliable source, but here are the sale #'s
Honda Pilot - Wikipedia

·
Registered
4,026 Posts
GM deleted the G99 twin-clutch rear differential on the Traverse for the 2021 model year - all trims now have the single-clutch AWD system.

Source

The GKN Twinster AWD system used on various GM models including the 2018-2020 Traverse does not overdrive the rear axle like Honda's (i)VTM-4/SH-AWD so it's not nearly as effective at helping create a yaw moment while turning or offering as much of a RWD feel. The Focus RS was the only model I'm aware of that used a GKN Twinster AWD system with rear overdrive.

Source
Dang, we'd speculated it was dropped but no confirmation on the forum. Again, GM did zero marketing for it and have noone but themselves to blame.

·
Registered
602 Posts
To accommodate that small army, get a Ford Transit van with AWD.
If the AWD system isn't rugged enough for you, then get a van with a Quigley 4x4 conversion.
She likes the SUV look, not a van, longer flatter hood. We'll add to that not a fan of sloped rear, reduced headroom, reduced storage that many newer SUV's are doing.

When we were looking and test driving, I didn't see anything as options on the Traverse for picking anything on the AWD for snow/sand etc. We liked the Traverse, it had more room than Pilot but salesman also said it has nothing and would not work well on the beach.

·
Registered
9,257 Posts
She likes the SUV look, not a van, longer flatter hood. We'll add to that not a fan of sloped rear, reduced headroom, reduced storage that many newer SUV's are doing.

When we were looking and test driving, I didn't see anything as options on the Traverse for picking anything on the AWD for snow/sand etc. We liked the Traverse, it had more room than Pilot but salesman also said it has nothing and would not work well on the beach.
Couldn't interest you in one of these:

·
Registered
602 Posts
Couldn't interest you in one of these:

Me- sure. I like Mercedes Sprinter 4x4 also.
Her- Not seeing it.

How's the fuel mileage on one of those? Everyday driving to work, around town and trips she likes the Pilot. Same scenarios she loved her Sequoia and misses it, would happily take a non rusting version no issue.

·
Registered
9,257 Posts
Me- sure. I like Mercedes Sprinter 4x4 also.
Her- Not seeing it.

How's the fuel mileage on one of those? Everyday driving to work, around town and trips she likes the Pilot. Same scenarios she loved her Sequoia and misses it, would happily take a non rusting version no issue.
You're never satisfied.
Either the vehicle is too small, won't tackle tough terrain, doesn't look like a truck, gets poor gas mileage or costs too much.

·
Registered
4,026 Posts

Plenty of people on the Traverse forum drive on the beach or come on having done some "soft" roading. Same concept as the Pilot, you have minimal clearance and don't have 4LO with locking diffs, pick your lines and use momentum. In the sand, stay off the soft stuff.

You're never satisfied.
Either the vehicle is too small, won't tackle tough terrain, doesn't look like a truck, gets poor gas mileage or costs too much.
I'd argue most people are, especially while theorizing about which car to buy. Figure out your priorities and start ranking based on those.

·
Administrator
2016 CRV Touring AWD, 2005 Pilot RIP.
16,160 Posts
Dang, we'd speculated it was dropped but no confirmation on the forum. Again, GM did zero marketing for it and have noone but themselves to blame.
I'm pretty sure that fancy AWD system was only sold on the top trim models of the Traverse. I don't see any funerals for it going away.

·
Registered
4,026 Posts
I'm pretty sure that fancy AWD system was only sold on the top trim models of the Traverse. I don't see any funerals for it going away.
Yup, the High Country is the highest trim they sell. The Premier gets a lot of the same features but lacked the twin clutch rear, brown leather interior and some other unique trimmings.

·
Registered
602 Posts
You're never satisfied.
Isn't America great that we have these choices?

You sound just like me talking to my wife.......:unsure: :whistle: . :LOL:

·
Registered
9,257 Posts
Isn't America great that we have these choices?

You sound just like me talking to my wife.......:unsure: :whistle: . :LOL:
I wish the driver's seats in most new vehicles were more comfortable.
Compared to the one in my 2003, the bottom cushions are all too short.
It makes me wonder if the people that design them ever sit in them for any length of time.

·
Registered
602 Posts
I wish the driver's seats in most new vehicles were more comfortable.
Compared to the one in my 2003, the bottom cushions are all too short.
It makes me wonder if the people that design them ever sit in them for any length of time.
I had an Outback for the last week on vacation, not sure trim level but had leather/sunroof and every driver aid. The drivers seat had the extending thigh cushion, lots of power adjustments (and lumbar) and was very comfortable with good contour. Wife commented it was more comfortable than Pilot and more leg room to stretch out. Doesn't fit for when the kids are with us (they had their own car) but for the 2 of us was nice.

·
Registered
9,257 Posts
I had an Outback for the last week on vacation, not sure trim level but had leather/sunroof and every driver aid. The drivers seat had the extending thigh cushion, lots of power adjustments (and lumbar) and was very comfortable with good contour. Wife commented it was more comfortable than Pilot and more leg room to stretch out. Doesn't fit for when the kids are with us (they had their own car) but for the 2 of us was nice.
The last time I visited a Subaru dealer was soon after the Ascent was introduced.
I sat in one of the lower trim level models that lacked the extending thigh cushion and found the seat to be too short.
I've yet to sit in one of the latest Outbacks.
Unfortunately, the extending thigh cushion seems to be available only in the higher trim levels, which include features I don't particularly want, such as leather upholstery and a sunroof.
Not long ago, one of my neighbors traded in his Outback because it was becoming unreliable and the repairs were costly. As its replacement, he bought a Prius.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts