Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

81 - 92 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
So a Q7 is in your future...
Or more likely she’s gonna magically take over the Q5 and try to gift me the Pilot.. ugh. I actually really like the Q5 it’s deceptively fast even with a 2.0 turbo 4 cylinder and the dct trans is actually really good. I think it’s faster than my 330i - at least without being overly abusive. They claim 5.9 seconds to 60. It feels like it.

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
That would be the economy version of the Cayenne or Bentayga.
Cayenne doesn't have a 3rd row. A Bentayga W12 would do nicely as long as it is optioned with the 3rd row. Yes, I've been on the configurator before.

Or more likely she’s gonna magically take over the Q5 and try to gift me the Pilot.. ugh. I actually really like the Q5 it’s deceptively fast even with a 2.0 turbo 4 cylinder and the dct trans is actually really good. I think it’s faster than my 330i - at least without being overly abusive. They claim 5.9 seconds to 60. It feels like it.
Could be a good excuse to grab a Durango R/T or a MDX Type S...

My mom looked at the X3/Q5/GLC300 a couple years ago. I showed her the BMW first, then Audi then Mercedes (the Audi and Mercedes dealer are attached, so she saw both within an hour). She really liked the BMW. Then she loved how much nicer the interior on the Audi was. Then she basically immediately told them to start the paperwork on the Mercedes, the interior was on another level. The turbo 4 in it is pretty potent as well, but I hate how much it dies off on the top end, I assume VAGs doesn't do that since they've been doing the 2.0T longer than anyone.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Cayenne doesn't have a 3rd row. A Bentayga W12 would do nicely as long as it is optioned with the 3rd row. Yes, I've been on the configurator before.

Could be a good excuse to grab a Durango R/T or a MDX Type S...

My mom looked at the X3/Q5/GLC300 a couple years ago. I showed her the BMW first, then Audi then Mercedes (the Audi and Mercedes dealer are attached, so she saw both within an hour). She really liked the BMW. Then she loved how much nicer the interior on the Audi was. Then she basically immediately told them to start the paperwork on the Mercedes, the interior was on another level. The turbo 4 in it is pretty potent as well, but I hate how much it dies off on the top end, I assume VAGs doesn't do that since they've been doing the 2.0T longer than anyone.
I'll be passing on the new MDX. I test drove one, though obviously not a Type S. I'll be keeping my 330i even if it isn't the fastest... with an intake no matter what it still sounds the best :cool: + the E90 handling is really great. The SUV's just don't quite match it there.

I love the GLC - current Mercedes interiors are amazing. They may have fixed the top end issues with the current MB 2.0T as I don't recall a big power drop off with the GLE 350 we test drove. They did update the engines in 2020 even though they still make about (or exactly) the same power and are still 2.0 liters. The Q5 we just kind of stumbled into - test drove it and had the right price, options, and perfect condition. If it'd been a GLC I probably would have gone that route too. For some reason my wife doesn't like BMW seats - I don't get it... but I wasn't going to get a new car she wouldn't want to take on road trips - I REALLY want to replace the Pilot as the road trip machine.

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
I'll be passing on the new MDX. I test drove one, though obviously not a Type S. I'll be keeping my 330i even if it isn't the fastest... with an intake no matter what it still sounds the best :cool: + the E90 handling is really great. The SUV's just don't quite match it there.

I love the GLC - current Mercedes interiors are amazing. They may have fixed the top end issues with the current MB 2.0T as I don't recall a big power drop off with the GLE 350 we test drove. They did update the engines in 2020 even though they still make about (or exactly) the same power and are still 2.0 liters. The Q5 we just kind of stumbled into - test drove it and had the right price, options, and perfect condition. If it'd been a GLC I probably would have gone that route too. For some reason my wife doesn't like BMW seats - I don't get it... but I wasn't going to get a new car she wouldn't want to take on road trips - I REALLY want to replace the Pilot as the road trip machine.
I haven't driven the newer 2.0T but I do know that the GLC300 was one of the vehicles to get an "all new" 2.0T. While us car guys get that it is all or significantly new it just doesn't market right when it's the same displacement and type of engine.

So what didn't you like about the MDX?

And I have had the pleasure of owning/driving an E46 - 325Ci convertible. I know BMWs from that era are just the absolute best blend of handling, comfort and communication. What a wonderful car to drive.

·
Registered
583 Posts
I haven't driven the newer 2.0T but I do know that the GLC300 was one of the vehicles to get an "all new" 2.0T. While us car guys get that it is all or significantly new it just doesn't market right when it's the same displacement and type of engine.

So what didn't you like about the MDX?

And I have had the pleasure of owning/driving an E46 - 325Ci convertible. I know BMWs from that era are just the absolute best blend of handling, comfort and communication. What a wonderful car to drive.
Yeah that's the challenge "all new" but "the same" probably doesn't market too well. :)

The MDX just wasn't that impressive. Nice? Sure. Next level? Not really. The one we drove was fresh off the truck and hadn't even gone through PDI yet. We were literally the first to ever drive it so maybe not the BEST comparison... but still.
  • Doors didn't want to close "too tight" - had to really slam them closed.
  • The TrueTouch infotainment was just horrible. To the point of being unusable. I've heard there are sensetivity settings that can bet set that may improve it, but frankly sitting the parking lot FOCUSED on the thing - I couldn't even accomplish getting to the settings menu and navigating with it. I get that it's "better" but man... it was just a train wreck from my perspective. The old Honda rotary wheel, original BMW iDrive, and every Audi MMI interface I've used have all been worlds better. For reference I'm an IT guy and typically have zero challenges with technology.
  • Engine was fine. Not great, not bad. Just fine. Exactly what you'd expect from a J series
  • Trans was fine - not amazing, but not bad
  • Interior quality was OK, but just felt like they only paid attention to the pieces that'll show up in photos. Quality didn't feel "deep" it felt like they tried to put on a good show without really making everything solid. Things like the palm rest felt like they were made out of thin metal. Not flimsy... but not "chiseled" like you'd find in a Lexus, MB, Audi, or BMW. Hard to describe really, but maybe best to say "It felt like a dressed up Honda". Where as when you get an a VW and and Audi... the Audi is like "How the heck did they get that noisy engine to be so freaking quiet... they're the same, yet nothing alike".
  • Handling again... OK... not bad, but not amazing.
  • Interior space was good... but the car is longer than our Pilot with noticeably less room.
  • The cool interior lights didn't seem to be working / changing color... again no PDI... but uhh... it had 3 miles on it.
  • The front seats were very comfortable - probably the high point of the car.
  • The option packages / color combos sucked to me. I'd want an A-spec Blue with all the Advanced features - but Acura is stuck on the color and option package combos that discouraged us from buying a 2020 MDX.
Overall - it's nice. It's not a bad car. I guess I was just expecting more. I was truly excited to drive it to the point that we'd ALMOST pre-ordered one. After driving it... well... it was just pretty easy to pass on it. Too much "meh" not and not much "wow". At the $60k price point Q7 vs MDX the Q7 just seemed a lot more "wow" even with the 4 cylinder (which is still easily as fast as the MDX V6). Instead we decided to give up our search to replace our Pilot and instead replaced the "Beater Lexus" with a CPO used Q5 for a ton less money. Probably the better / smarter choice in the end anyway.

·
Registered
8,919 Posts
Instead we decided to give up our search to replace our Pilot and instead replaced the "Beater Lexus" with a CPO used Q5 for a ton less money. Probably the better / smarter choice in the end anyway.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Heh - yeah that's about what you'd expect with a German car and I'm ok with it. The turbo for these things is about $1000 bux. On mine it's the newer design that'll probably break in some other way - though so far lots of people have had good luck with them. Either way I did the warranty so basically bumper to bumper whatever breaks its Audi's problem for the next 5+ years and unlimited miles. I've got zero concerns. Honestly the parts aren't bad at all - I was surprised the turbo was only $1000. I'm used to the RX-7 days where it was a good bit more than that for OEM and it didn't even have fancy electronics attached to it.

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Yeah that's the challenge "all new" but "the same" probably doesn't market too well. :)

The MDX just wasn't that impressive. Nice? Sure. Next level? Not really. The one we drove was fresh off the truck and hadn't even gone through PDI yet. We were literally the first to ever drive it so maybe not the BEST comparison... but still.
  • Doors didn't want to close "too tight" - had to really slam them closed.
  • The TrueTouch infotainment was just horrible. To the point of being unusable. I've heard there are sensetivity settings that can bet set that may improve it, but frankly sitting the parking lot FOCUSED on the thing - I couldn't even accomplish getting to the settings menu and navigating with it. I get that it's "better" but man... it was just a train wreck from my perspective. The old Honda rotary wheel, original BMW iDrive, and every Audi MMI interface I've used have all been worlds better. For reference I'm an IT guy and typically have zero challenges with technology.
  • Engine was fine. Not great, not bad. Just fine. Exactly what you'd expect from a J series
  • Trans was fine - not amazing, but not bad
  • Interior quality was OK, but just felt like they only paid attention to the pieces that'll show up in photos. Quality didn't feel "deep" it felt like they tried to put on a good show without really making everything solid. Things like the palm rest felt like they were made out of thin metal. Not flimsy... but not "chiseled" like you'd find in a Lexus, MB, Audi, or BMW. Hard to describe really, but maybe best to say "It felt like a dressed up Honda". Where as when you get an a VW and and Audi... the Audi is like "How the heck did they get that noisy engine to be so freaking quiet... they're the same, yet nothing alike".
  • Handling again... OK... not bad, but not amazing.
  • Interior space was good... but the car is longer than our Pilot with noticeably less room.
  • The cool interior lights didn't seem to be working / changing color... again no PDI... but uhh... it had 3 miles on it.
  • The front seats were very comfortable - probably the high point of the car.
  • The option packages / color combos sucked to me. I'd want an A-spec Blue with all the Advanced features - but Acura is stuck on the color and option package combos that discouraged us from buying a 2020 MDX.
Overall - it's nice. It's not a bad car. I guess I was just expecting more. I was truly excited to drive it to the point that we'd ALMOST pre-ordered one. After driving it... well... it was just pretty easy to pass on it. Too much "meh" not and not much "wow". At the $60k price point Q7 vs MDX the Q7 just seemed a lot more "wow" even with the 4 cylinder (which is still easily as fast as the MDX V6). Instead we decided to give up our search to replace our Pilot and instead replaced the "Beater Lexus" with a CPO used Q5 for a ton less money. Probably the better / smarter choice in the end anyway.
I wonder if the Type S with the sportier styling and the turbo engine would have been enough give the MDX that "special" you were looking for. Pricewise the Acura will always come out ahead of a comparable Q7 but there is no denying the Q7 is a solid luxury family hauler without the $100k GLS or X7 price tag.

Heh - yeah that's about what you'd expect with a German car and I'm ok with it. The turbo for these things is about $1000 bux. On mine it's the newer design that'll probably break in some other way - though so far lots of people have had good luck with them. Either way I did the warranty so basically bumper to bumper whatever breaks its Audi's problem for the next 5+ years and unlimited miles. I've got zero concerns. Honestly the parts aren't bad at all - I was surprised the turbo was only $1000. I'm used to the RX-7 days where it was a good bit more than that for OEM and it didn't even have fancy electronics attached to it.
I'd like to see the vehicles that have these mythical "cheap parts" people speak of. Unless you get it from a junkyard or someone else bought it and didn't use it, I've found parts for all brands are more than I'd like them to be.

Love me an RX-7, but Apex seals scare the crap out of me. Had a buddy who was really into Eclipses, had a couple 4G63 (I think that's the right number?) engines he was building for his stable of cars and his go to were turbos off of Fusos and Isuzu box trucks. Plenty of lag but plenty of boost as well.

Reactions: briantii

·
Registered
8,919 Posts
Either way I did the warranty so basically bumper to bumper whatever breaks its Audi's problem for the next 5+ years and unlimited miles. I've got zero concerns.
How much was the extended warranty?

·
Registered
583 Posts
How much was the extended warranty?
More than it's worth probably... but that's why they always win right? We'll see - have ~2 years pure CPO to change my mind as well. The more I look at how much space I got under the hood and the parts prices... not sure I even need it. We'll see.

·
Registered
583 Posts
I wonder if the Type S with the sportier styling and the turbo engine would have been enough give the MDX that "special" you were looking for. Pricewise the Acura will always come out ahead of a comparable Q7 but there is no denying the Q7 is a solid luxury family hauler without the $100k GLS or X7 price tag.

I'd like to see the vehicles that have these mythical "cheap parts" people speak of. Unless you get it from a junkyard or someone else bought it and didn't use it, I've found parts for all brands are more than I'd like them to be.

Love me an RX-7, but Apex seals scare the crap out of me. Had a buddy who was really into Eclipses, had a couple 4G63 (I think that's the right number?) engines he was building for his stable of cars and his go to were turbos off of Fusos and Isuzu box trucks. Plenty of lag but plenty of boost as well.
I agree - at least 6 months ago Q7's were getting discounted pretty heavily making the pricing more in line with release pricing for the 22 MDX... so the pricing was more comparable.

I'm not sure if the Type S would have been more "special". Overall I wanted to love the MDX because on paper it was perfect. I just didn't love it.

81 - 92 of 92 Posts