Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

61 - 80 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
I joined when we got out 2005 pilot for 5000. It was all the money we had at the time and this car has helped us through those lean days.... Things are much better now and the pilot transmission started slipping on Friday in SF we had to get it towed home. With 213k miles on it... I plan to get the transmission serviced... Apparently there's one in Sacramento that will do it for 2500.

This forum has helped me fix up little issues with the pilot. I really appreciate it. I plan to keep the pilot... It's a great serviceable car... Just needs a little more maintenance. Folks I'm this forum have been super helpful and it is a great resource for folks like me who isn't really mechanically inclined.

Happy 3 day weekend.

j
only 213k? We have almost 230 on ours, (2006) and we paid $4000 2 years ago. My hubby calls it a prima donna, but it's been a good car when we have to transport grandkids. :) The AC doesn't always appear to be icy, but it's cool enough. We're having it looked at before taking a long road trip just to make sure, as it's started to make some noises, and I'm not sure if it's breaks or something else. The dealer tells me we need to get the transaxle replaced. sigh. Anyone have that done?

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
The dealer tells me we need to get the transaxle replaced. sigh. Anyone have that done?
At that age and mileage it’s not unusual to have a CV axle begin to fail or start slinging grease via a break in the boot. Depending upon your budget the OEM replacement axle has a rep for less issues following the repair.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I am the proud owner of a 2006 EX with 216k miles. It has never had any engine or transmission issues and everything still works. The only major issue was having to replace the radiator at 95k. It currently needs a timing belt (normal maintenance), rear brakes (badly) and tires (4). The exterior is okay, a couple of small dents & scratches, and minor rust on the edges of the rear fenderwells (which is common on 2006 Pilots), but the Interior is excellent, clean with no rips or tears.

Our "truck" (we use the U in SUV a lot) has been a dependable part of our family for 15 years. It was the first vehicle I have ever owned that I did NOT do most of the maintenance on. I even took it to Honda for oil changes. And it has been so reliable that I do not regret that decision at all. But we finally decided we need to purchase a new one, one with more safety features and better mileage, and one we felt confident driving cross-country, so we bought a 2021 EX-L. We are very happy with it, although the front seat storage in the 2006 is much better than the 2021 (Did you hear that Honda ?).

I am currently looking for a new home for the 2006, as we no longer need three vehicles. I feel confident it will be a good vehicle for someone, and I would suggest to them that they join Piloteers, as it is a wealth of information and support.

BUT, to get to the meat of this discussion thread, could I have invested $1500 in my 2006 and driven it another 50,000 miles ? Maybe so, but would I have felt confident and comfortable doing so, probably not. When you drive a car any distance you need to have the confidence it won't break down, and while we loved the "truck" we lost that confidence. Besides, we are retired and older, and the multiple new safety features was probably my primary reason for buying new. So the choice of fix or buy is a complex one, and very dependent on situation and perspective. The key thing to remember was, we bought another Pilot !

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
I am the proud owner of a 2006 EX with 216k miles. It has never had any engine or transmission issues and everything still works. The only major issue was having to replace the radiator at 95k. It currently needs a timing belt (normal maintenance), rear brakes (badly) and tires (4). The exterior is okay, a couple of small dents & scratches, and minor rust on the edges of the rear fenderwells (which is common on 2006 Pilots), but the Interior is excellent, clean with no rips or tears.

Our "truck" (we use the U in SUV a lot) has been a dependable part of our family for 15 years. It was the first vehicle I have ever owned that I did NOT do most of the maintenance on. I even took it to Honda for oil changes. And it has been so reliable that I do not regret that decision at all. But we finally decided we need to purchase a new one, one with more safety features and better mileage, and one we felt confident driving cross-country, so we bought a 2021 EX-L. We are very happy with it, although the front seat storage in the 2006 is much better than the 2021 (Did you hear that Honda ?).

I am currently looking for a new home for the 2006, as we no longer need three vehicles. I feel confident it will be a good vehicle for someone, and I would suggest to them that they join Piloteers, as it is a wealth of information and support.

BUT, to get to the meat of this discussion thread, could I have invested $1500 in my 2006 and driven it another 50,000 miles ? Maybe so, but would I have felt confident and comfortable doing so, probably not. When you drive a car any distance you need to have the confidence it won't break down, and while we loved the "truck" we lost that confidence. Besides, we are retired and older, and the multiple new safety features was probably my primary reason for buying new. So the choice of fix or buy is a complex one, and very dependent on situation and perspective. The key thing to remember was, we bought another Pilot !
Congrats on the new EX-L!

I have to ask... 63 SS... does that make it an Impala? What engine? I have a '61 2 door sedan with a 283. The 348 is sitting in the barn waiting for the funds and time for a teardown/rebuild.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Congrats on the new EX-L!

I have to ask... 63 SS... does that make it an Impala? What engine? I have a '61 2 door sedan with a 283. The 348 is sitting in the barn waiting for the funds and time for a teardown/rebuild.
Unfortunately it WAS both a 63 Impala SS Convertible 327 4spd and a 63 Impala SS Coupe 283 Powerglide. Family and job got in the way and I sold them, but I am currently looking for a black on black convertible, as that was actually my first car in 1967. (and sorry to the forum for going off script)

·
Registered
3,728 Posts

·
Registered
3,728 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Joined this forum in 2020 to share ideas, tips and knowledge. Never knew such a forum existed centering around an average looking mild mannered med-large SUV/wagon/truck. My 2004 competently, ultra reliably and quietly did its job transporting, loading and traversing through heavy snow, ice and rain. Turned down a 3k offer from CarMax and probably spent nearly as much doing some TLC. Newly rejuvenated, de-rusted, slightly modified this Pilot could last a lot longer than expected. Now if I could design a nice grill to make it even better 😂 View attachment 149157
We have an '05 EX which we bought new. 215K and it purrs. I have never added oil between 5K changes. Trans shifts fine, probably thanks to two occupants,a mild climate and zero towing. 30K fluid changes for the trans and transaxle with factory fluids. I just dumped $2300 into it. Adjust valves,plugs,front crankcase seal and pan gasket,motor mount,oil change timing belt service and the thing flies. Same cat and O2 sensors. No annoying stall/start crap which drove us nuts on a rental. I'll keep my fingers crossed. I'd love a new one but $40K OTD in California is a tough nut to crack.

·
Registered
583 Posts
It really depends on the situation. At some point you have to face reality of what a vehicle is worth. Pouring good money after bad can get old quick. For example I’m facing this challenge with my IS300. It works fine generally but it needs some work:

1) The paint has completely failed. It needs a complete paint job. $2500 assuming I want a decent Maaco job. $6000 if I want to pull the glass and “do it right”

2) The radio is failing. Tempted to replace it with a new unit to get Bluetooth… if you can find one right now. Even still because of the way Lexus setup the radio you also have to replace all the speakers as the factory setup cannot be used with an aftermarket head unit. $600 bux ish

3) It’s got a few oil leaks. One by the oil filter that been there for 15 years… but a few underneath too. Possibly a rear main seal, likely the upper oil pan gasket. To replace the upper oil pan gasket you need to pull the engine. So far none are bad enough to warrant actually fixing, but assume $1500-$2500 using non dealer labor. I’ve pull engines before. No interest in doing it at this house.

4) Suspension. It’s all original and 20 years old. It needs shocks at a minimum… but to be fair still drives prett decent.

5) Transmission… still works fine but I always question if it feels quite right. 3rd gear shift can be a bit abrupt… but that maybe normal. It was never perfect like these newer cars. If it needs a trans though… $700 bux for a junk find plus labor.

6) Miscelanous stuff… For some reason water these days likes to get in the spark plug tubes after a really hard rain and parked outside. Never used to do that… but it’s annoying getting misfires and needing to dry them o occasionally.

KBB lists the car’s value at 237k miles as $1200 bux trade in… or $2900 (current) - $4100 (with decent paint). Is it worth the hassle? No matter what I do the car will never have all the latest safety features and every component will continue to age with many of the parts going discontinued. If the goal is transportation does it really make sense to paint and repair it or just move on? I’ve had this car for 16 years and have certainly got my money’s wor out of it and it’s never once left me walking. Im leaning towards fixing it up.. but these things get really complicated as cars get a lot older, their value becomes practically nil, and more and more components become suspect to natural aging. I don’t think it’s wrong to point out these factors.
So as a follow up... decision has been made. Picked up a cpo Audi Q5 today. If anyone wants an IS300 with an lsd feel free to shout.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I bought my 2008 Pilot in 2010 with 30K miles on it. The only issue we have had with it was the front end bushings wore out prematurely and a sensor went out. $1200 to fix but luckily we had the warranty so it all worked out. We have had some issues since then but nothing major. 2 Window motors, a seal for the power steering reservoir to the pump which we have done all the repairs ourselves thanks to this forum & You Tube. It has almost 170K miles now. did the major tune up at 90K miles and debating whether to do it again as I am a little worry about the age of the timing belt. It's been one of the most reliable vehicles I have ever owned. This site is just full of great info and advice. Not sure I would buy another pilot as we might be looking into the Lexus GX460 so we will see. But for now the 08 keeps on truckin.

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
So as a follow up... decision has been made. Picked up a cpo Audi Q5 today. If anyone wants an IS300 with an lsd feel free to shout.
I know some (very few) Lexi had manuals in them, was this one of them?

Enjoy the Q5!

·
Registered
583 Posts
I know some (very few) Lexi had manuals in them, was this one of them?

Enjoy the Q5!
Nah - this is the 5 speed auto. 2001 only automatics were available. 2002 - 2005 had a manual (though frankly kinda long throw) manual. The coolest thing about mine is that was one of the very rare Auburn Sky Pearl (kinda burn orange) colors + has the LSD.

So far loving the Q5... only concern is the wife might be loving it more than "her" Pilot... :)

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Nah - this is the 5 speed auto. 2001 only automatics were available. 2002 - 2005 had a manual (though frankly kinda long throw) manual. The coolest thing about mine is that was one of the very rare Auburn Sky Pearl (kinda burn orange) colors + has the LSD.

So far loving the Q5... only concern is the wife might be loving it more than "her" Pilot... :)
So a Q7 is in your future...

Reactions: briantii
61 - 80 of 92 Posts