Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

41 - 60 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,063 Posts
I think, or rather know that most of us are here; because we're not all there! LOL

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
9,250 Posts
We have agreed this is a no Scotty forum... take that ish to some other forum!
I refuse to sign off on that. I occasionally feel the irrepressible urge to toss up another Scotty vid.

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
I refuse to sign off on that. I occasionally feel the irrepressible urge to toss up another Scotty vid. View attachment 149296
C'mon man! I can tolerate the ChrisFix kid, or East Main Auto... that Scotty guy makes me want to kick a dog.

All these times he's filled me with absolute joy when I see he's quitting youtube, just to see another video posted the next day and be buried in disappointment.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm going to say something, and will probably take flack for it. I don't care. I just have to ask, why are some of you here? I'm talking to the several people who think when something fails on this generation, we should just sell/junk them and buy something newer, or these are not worth putting over $1000 into, etc.. I thought the purpose of the group was to help people when needed, and keep these things going. Granted, I live in a southern state, where rust is not an issue, but that philosophy has been applied to these southern types of vehicles as well. I don't get it. I'm probably an ass because I do all of my own work, and can't see a functional car get tossed to the wayside for a cheap repair. $1000 in repairs amounts to less than 2 payments on a new Pilot.
Flame suit on, bring it.
Thank you! I agree!

·
Registered
2006 Honda Pilot EX-L - - 215k 2007 Honda Accord SE - - 145k
55 Posts
Quite simply for us, we're big Dave Ramsey people, so we don't do loans or payments of any kind aside from our mortgage. We sold a 2013 Sonata for more than we bought our 06 EXL for for the sole purpose to haul our gifted jet skis. We have an 07 Accord as well that I love to wrench on, and these guys are so reliable and cheap to fix that it was a no brainer. Plus, they're comfortable as well. The kids love it too. This forum has been really helpful for me and I'm digging it!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm going to say something, and will probably take flack for it. I don't care. I just have to ask, why are some of you here? I'm talking to the several people who think when something fails on this generation, we should just sell/junk them and buy something newer, or these are not worth putting over $1000 into, etc.. I thought the purpose of the group was to help people when needed, and keep these things going. Granted, I live in a southern state, where rust is not an issue, but that philosophy has been applied to these southern types of vehicles as well. I don't get it. I'm probably an ass because I do all of my own work, and can't see a functional car get tossed to the wayside for a cheap repair. $1000 in repairs amounts to less than 2 payments on a new Pilot.
Flame suit on, bring it.
I joined to get opinions on an issue I had with my sons Pilot. I normally try to get along myself figure shith out. There will always be those who sling negative at you a thick skin is need for sure. I personally purchased a used trans and paid the price for it ending up with someones junk.I learn as I go even though I spent 28 years at Honda dealer your never totally a know it all.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Flame suit on, bring it.
Hello @ImBroke,

No flame throwing here!

At 212,000 miles on my 2007 Pilot 4WD EX-L the engine seized. Not sure why. My wife's advice was that I had enjoyed the Pilot more than any other vehicle I've owned so I should fix it. I agreed. I had a Jasper rebuilt engine (100,000 mile warranty) put in it by a local shop for $8,000 and have since put 70,000+ miles on it. Currently just over 282,000 miles total. That's about 11.4 cents per additional mile so far. I'm okay with that even if it died today. Then again, I may replace it next year...

The only cosmetic defects are the edge of the driver's seat back. I'm short and have slid across that seam a LOT of times. And, the driver's floor mat is now showing wear. Mechanically, it's still sound.

I accept that not everyone would have made the same decision. I don't really care. :) It's a matter of perspective. For me this works. I try to not waste good.

I'll just keep driving on in NC!

Deacon336

·
Registered
7 Posts
I joined when we got out 2005 pilot for 5000. It was all the money we had at the time and this car has helped us through those lean days.... Things are much better now and the pilot transmission started slipping on Friday in SF we had to get it towed home. With 213k miles on it... I plan to get the transmission serviced... Apparently there's one in Sacramento that will do it for 2500.

This forum has helped me fix up little issues with the pilot. I really appreciate it. I plan to keep the pilot... It's a great serviceable car... Just needs a little more maintenance. Folks I'm this forum have been super helpful and it is a great resource for folks like me who isn't really mechanically inclined.

Happy 3 day weekend.

j
WAIT !!! Don't buy anything yet. There was a more recent transmission recall. From what I could find on the recall is- recall if- 04V176000. Manufacturer Campaign number- P30/P31. Build dates- 2002-06-06 - 2003-09-03. My sticker says 09/02 which fits but it doesn't come up on the nhtsa website when you search. The VIN sticker in the door has the build date. They will update the software to fix the torque converter timing and add a part to help fluid circulation. They will replace any damaged gears or replace the whole thing. There are a bunch more like they need to replace all the airbags even if they were done before. Some headlight wiring, and other stuff that are all important. I notice I do not see the transmission one but if it applies to your car, it is covered in the recall. https://www.cars.com/research/honda-pilot-2005/recalls/
To check on your car, use the Honda website to put in your vin and request info on authorized dealers for the repairs. Let them make first contact with the dealer. It could have made the difference between fixed trans or not. I see online where people are having a hard time with some dealers but it comes down to if the car isn't fixed, its not safe. The transmission can lock up once you break the teeth and you will roll the car. They don't want that and they would get sued. The dealer they sent me to is doing all the repairs free.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,260 Posts
="ImBroke, post: 1717915, member: 311418"]
I'm going to say something, and will probably take flack for it. I don't care. I just have to ask, why are some of you here? I'm talking to the several people who think when something fails on this generation, we should just sell/junk them and buy something newer, or these are not worth putting over $1000 into, etc..
Economically there are times in this world when it is not cheeper to keep her. A pragmatic individual will keep this in mind. Especially when dealing with an inanimate object such as a vehicle. It is a machine, a mode of transportation to get you from point A to point B in the best possible manner. When the cost of maintenance exceeds the value of the service it is time to let it go

I thought the purpose of the group was to help people when needed, and keep these things going. Granted, I live in a southern state, where rust is not an issue, but that philosophy has been applied to these southern types of vehicles as well. I don't get it. I'm probably an ass because I do all of my own work, and can't see a functional car get tossed to the wayside for a cheap repair. $1000 in repairs amounts to less than 2 payments on a new Pilot.
Flame suit on, bring it.
That is the fallacy of too many people that come to this or any other forum. The purpose of this forum is to provide a friendly, social and helpful community for people of a like interest. In this particular case the Honda Pilot and Passport.

The Piloteers is a place to seek out help, BUT, far too often people who come here seek free help/advise and leave little or nothing in return. There are innumerable threads where people sought help, sometimes immediate help for their problem for various reasons and never even bothered to respond as to the final outcome.

If everyone felt that this was just a place to get free help or advise then there would be no one left to offer advise or help, as they would have had their needs satisfied.

Perhaps that is why the OG's here included an Off Topic Section with General Off Topic, Games & Humor, Other Automobiles, Computer and Home Electronics and Pets subsections as well as a seperate Club section.

The way any real community thrives and survives is for the members of that community to participate in that community in all aspects. Trust me when I tell you this, as I know a few of you will be surprised, but I personally am not here just for the pay, for the pay here is the same pay rate I receive at my hospital volunteer job.

·
Premium Member
2005 Pilot EXL
417 Posts
Quite simply for us, we're big Dave Ramsey people, so we don't do loans or payments of any kind aside from our mortgage. We sold a 2013 Sonata for more than we bought our 06 EXL for for the sole purpose to haul our gifted jet skis. We have an 07 Accord as well that I love to wrench on, and these guys are so reliable and cheap to fix that it was a no brainer. Plus, they're comfortable as well. The kids love it too. This forum has been really helpful for me and I'm digging it!
Just finished Dave Ramsey’s - Financial Coach Master Training online class a couple months ago. Pretty good stuff👍 Used to listen to his radio show coming home from work- He cracked me up with his subtle “um hum’s” LOL

·
Premium Member
2005 Pilot EXL
417 Posts
Why I’m Here:
1. Have 2005 Pilot with 225k miles
2. Enjoy mechanical things
3. Never done real work on vehicle ( wrenched a little on motorcycles back in the day)
4. Enjoy learning
5. Enjoy Satisfaction of successfully Accomplishing a task that benefits others and myself (saves me $$$$). Also- Great reason to get new tools😁👍👍
6. Enjoy sharing my “mechanic”experiences with others that appreciate
and possibly helping someone else.
7. Enjoy this Forum!- I have and continue to learn from all of y’all and Appreciate your honesty! I believe each one of you (as myself) have Good Intentions on helping others (which is not always so obvious these days) 😁👍👍. In addition, all the Fun with the “shop humor ” really cracks me up! Latest being “ the ginormous bag of popcorn” when a transmission question was recently posted . ROFLMAO!!! This forum is a Great Place to go to get a laugh Thanks Again!!
Now- Back to installing new AC Stator😁👍

·
Registered
20 Posts
Flame suit on, bring it.
I joined in 2011 when I bought my 2012 Honda pilot Touring. I am here because I get much better advice on maintaining my car than I could anywhere else.

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
I joined in 2011 when I bought my 2012 Honda pilot Touring. I am here because I get much better advice on maintaining my car than I could anywhere else.
20 posts in 10 years! Jump into the Coffee Shop and get your post count up!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I joined when we got out 2005 pilot for 5000. It was all the money we had at the time and this car has helped us through those lean days.... Things are much better now and the pilot transmission started slipping on Friday in SF we had to get it towed home. With 213k miles on it... I plan to get the transmission serviced... Apparently there's one in Sacramento that will do it for 2500.

This forum has helped me fix up little issues with the pilot. I really appreciate it. I plan to keep the pilot... It's a great serviceable car... Just needs a little more maintenance. Folks I'm this forum have been super helpful and it is a great resource for folks like me who isn't really mechanically inclined.

Happy 3 day weekend.

j
I'm a lot farther north but I've heard of the place in Sac that does those, supposed to have solved the problem in their rebuilds that cause the issues these things seem to get. Definitely sounds like a good solution to keep it on the road a lot longer.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I live "up north" and the last 7 cars I have owned have come from "down South" due to the lack of rust. I like to buy them after they are depreciated. My Honda Pilot is an '07 and it's in pretty good shape with no rust, no dents no errors, and it's paid for. I usually keep my autos until they are unsafe -parts falling off due to rust or unreasonable to repair due to rust/cost ect... So far on this Pilot (200,000+ miles) since I got it, I have replaced the A/C comp, the radiator, added an S-VCM andregular oil and filter. I will be replacing the timing belt/water pump, cam seals with the Asin kit at 210,000. Maybe I'll do the spark plugs and seals, valve cover gaskets and other related parts/service while I'm bent over doing the timing things. Point being, I do MOST of my repairs and maintenance myself @ 65 years young, except alignments (I don't have a rack...) I guess it's up to each individual. Are you a "DIY'er" or a pay for service type?
Does the car look good enough to please your style? Got tools and a garage? Each owner makes decisions that fits their "style" and choices whether to hang on to it or dump it..

I have been a DIY guy for years. Many years ago (late '70's), the guy who was my best man said he wanted me to run a business for him. It was going to be an "oil change" place. As a DIY'er I just could see the need for a place like that because, didn't everybody change their own oil? I could have been in on the start-up of a very lucrative business and part owner of a large chain, but no... I was blind. Oh well, I digress. Each person needs to decide what works for them.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Flame suit on, bring it.
Ok then I like that in you.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Flame suit on, bring it.
I agree. I've got some nasty comments from people who have different opinions of how I should write and act. Pretty sad. Let's help and encourage one another.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Flame suit on, bring it.

41 - 60 of 92 Posts