Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Pilot SE
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to say something, and will probably take flack for it. I don't care. I just have to ask, why are some of you here? I'm talking to the several people who think when something fails on this generation, we should just sell/junk them and buy something newer, or these are not worth putting over $1000 into, etc.. I thought the purpose of the group was to help people when needed, and keep these things going. Granted, I live in a southern state, where rust is not an issue, but that philosophy has been applied to these southern types of vehicles as well. I don't get it. I'm probably an ass because I do all of my own work, and can't see a functional car get tossed to the wayside for a cheap repair. $1000 in repairs amounts to less than 2 payments on a new Pilot.
Flame suit on, bring it.

·
Registered
2,996 Posts
Joined this forum in 2020 to share ideas, tips and knowledge. Never knew such a forum existed centering around an average looking mild mannered med-large SUV/wagon/truck. My 2004 competently, ultra reliably and quietly did its job transporting, loading and traversing through heavy snow, ice and rain. Turned down a 3k offer from CarMax and probably spent nearly as much doing some TLC. Newly rejuvenated, de-rusted, slightly modified this Pilot could last a lot longer than expected. Now if I could design a nice grill to make it even better 😂
E33B73E3-0E3F-4A4C-89EA-9962DB30F2ED.jpeg

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
3,856 Posts
You ask a valid question. In my opinion, the first generation Pilots are great vehicles. But as with every vehicle there comes a decision point whether to put additional money into repairs, or use that money on something else.

Part of that decision making process comes down to who is performing the work. If you DIY, then you’re out parts cost and your personal time. If you take it to the mechanic you’ll pay the going rate which can add up. It’s a lot easier to justify keeping an older vehicle when the maintenance cost is parts and time.

Another factor is what repairs need to be performed. I agree that putting $1000 into repairs isn’t too bad of a hit, but then there is the question of what is looming around the corner. Say someone spends $1000 on immediately necessary repairs to keep the vehicle running today, knowing that in a few months significantly more costly repairs will be needed. Do they still keep the vehicle, or does it make sense to move on.

Personal financial situation and other variables should also be part of the decision making process. There are a lot of intertwined factors which folks should consider before making the decision to repair or sell.

From what I have seen in this forum, most folks try to help out their fellow Piloteer and offer advice that they themselves would follow for their own vehicle. Sometimes repairing the vehicle is recommended; other times walking away is the fork in the road to follow.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I joined when we got out 2005 pilot for 5000. It was all the money we had at the time and this car has helped us through those lean days.... Things are much better now and the pilot transmission started slipping on Friday in SF we had to get it towed home. With 213k miles on it... I plan to get the transmission serviced... Apparently there's one in Sacramento that will do it for 2500.

This forum has helped me fix up little issues with the pilot. I really appreciate it. I plan to keep the pilot... It's a great serviceable car... Just needs a little more maintenance. Folks I'm this forum have been super helpful and it is a great resource for folks like me who isn't really mechanically inclined.

Happy 3 day weekend.

j

·
Registered
105 Posts
I purchased my 2017 EX-L in Oct. of 2020 with 21K miles. I now have 35K.

Piloteer members have been extremely helpful in guiding me though some basic maintenance issues. The combined experiences and knowledge of so many members who all own Pilots is invaluable.

This forum is a must for any Pilot owner or potential owner.

·
Registered
2007 Pilot EXL, 2012 Civic LX, 2007 VTX1300C
217 Posts
if someone here is telling someone else to junk it or sell it rather than fix it, that's their opinion and they're entitled to it with or without support or backup explanation. on the other side someone else is entitled to give their view on why spending time and money may be worth while in keeping the vehicle going on it's way down the road.

ultimately you are your own filter, sort through the information that's useful to YOU and discard the rest

I am here to find support for projects I decide to tackle to see if anyone else has done the job before and has any useful tips or tricks and also to provide any knowledge or insight I have gained while doing a project on my own.
Also I just believe Honda's are worth fixing and holding onto in general and I think my local dealerships agree because they are always sending me offers to buy back my vehicles :rolleyes:

·
Registered
9,549 Posts
In the words of the Project Farm guy...
"It's cheaper to keep her."

·
Registered
704 Posts
Situations differ, and there is often a lot more to this than just 'how much will it cost to fix'. If you depend on this car daily to get you to your work - or to actually do your work - and any random day it might not start cause it needs a $100 part... And said part likely not gonna be available at a store two blocks away - it would have to be ordered.
Sure, "$1000 in repairs amounts to less than 2 payments on a new Pilot.", but a new Pilot is pretty much guaranteed to get you from A to B for years to come with no nasty surprises.

·
Registered
32 Posts
For over 30 years I've owned mostly used vehicles and performed a fair amount of work on them. If I had the cash I'd probably be happier with new vehicles that do not require the wrench time. It's not that I have a ton of other stuff I need to do, but when you find yourself in a lifestyle of perpetually fixing or upgrading things (vehicles, houses, the yard, whatever) then that is your life regardless of income. You won't be going out, going on vacations, doing a bunch of social things despite saving money on your DIY lifestyle. It's only satisfying up to a point.

We've only had our 2006 EX-L for a couple weeks. I'll be doing as much maintenance on it as I can. It just is what it is. Overall I don't mind, so long as YouTube, a service manual, and forums like this help.

We've often had 3 old vehicles so that 2 of them can run at any given time. You know, you take the 3rd one to the store while the procedure the YouTube guy said could be done in an afternoon drags on through your 3rd Saturday because you forgot you needed some part that's gonna be another 4 days delivered but you didn't time that purchase right so it's really more like a week and half until the following weekend rolls around again while you stare at the box of parts you don't yet have time to open. That's the sort of scenario that deletes the fun for me.

That said, I'm also the guy that wishes he had a heated and cooled shop separate from the garage, the lift, everything organized great and so on.

·
Registered
587 Posts
It really depends on the situation. At some point you have to face reality of what a vehicle is worth. Pouring good money after bad can get old quick. For example I’m facing this challenge with my IS300. It works fine generally but it needs some work:

1) The paint has completely failed. It needs a complete paint job. $2500 assuming I want a decent Maaco job. $6000 if I want to pull the glass and “do it right”

2) The radio is failing. Tempted to replace it with a new unit to get Bluetooth… if you can find one right now. Even still because of the way Lexus setup the radio you also have to replace all the speakers as the factory setup cannot be used with an aftermarket head unit. $600 bux ish

3) It’s got a few oil leaks. One by the oil filter that been there for 15 years… but a few underneath too. Possibly a rear main seal, likely the upper oil pan gasket. To replace the upper oil pan gasket you need to pull the engine. So far none are bad enough to warrant actually fixing, but assume $1500-$2500 using non dealer labor. I’ve pull engines before. No interest in doing it at this house.

4) Suspension. It’s all original and 20 years old. It needs shocks at a minimum… but to be fair still drives prett decent.

5) Transmission… still works fine but I always question if it feels quite right. 3rd gear shift can be a bit abrupt… but that maybe normal. It was never perfect like these newer cars. If it needs a trans though… $700 bux for a junk find plus labor.

6) Miscelanous stuff… For some reason water these days likes to get in the spark plug tubes after a really hard rain and parked outside. Never used to do that… but it’s annoying getting misfires and needing to dry them o occasionally.

KBB lists the car’s value at 237k miles as $1200 bux trade in… or $2900 (current) - $4100 (with decent paint). Is it worth the hassle? No matter what I do the car will never have all the latest safety features and every component will continue to age with many of the parts going discontinued. If the goal is transportation does it really make sense to paint and repair it or just move on? I’ve had this car for 16 years and have certainly got my money’s wor out of it and it’s never once left me walking. Im leaning towards fixing it up.. but these things get really complicated as cars get a lot older, their value becomes practically nil, and more and more components become suspect to natural aging. I don’t think it’s wrong to point out these factors.

·
Registered
3,790 Posts
Any forum that has 20 year old car owners mixing it up with brand new car owners will have people that have very different views on material things, finances, cars, maintenance, etc.

I'm here because I have joined a forum for every vehicle I own since I started driving 16 or so years ago. Most of them are good communities and provide a nice respite from the doldrums of work or whatever else is going on. This one has been surprisingly fun to be a part of, which is why I participate more often. The Traverse forum is pretty slow in general.

Also, I love forums because they are an excellent resource for the DIY projects I take on, sometimes I can post information that helps others and (at least on this forum) we do have some pretty good technical discussions at times.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
9,310 Posts
3) It’s got a few oil leaks. One by the oil filter that been there for 15 years… but a few underneath too. Possibly a rear main seal, likely the upper oil pan gasket. To replace the upper oil pan gasket you need to pull the engine. So far none are bad enough to warrant actually fixing, but assume $1500-$2500 using non dealer labor. I’ve pull engines before. No interest in doing it at this house.
I'm here in the hope that the kickback checks for the AT-205 I'm again pushing recommending here will someday finally show up in my mailbox. I'll accept PayPal, too. :D

Also to learn and help when I can, as well as inject a little levity into the proceedings.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
9,310 Posts
Does your formula for levity require two injections, or just one?
Are periodic booster shots needed?
Daily or more.

Depends on whether you have Type I Grumpiness or are a Type II Curmudgeon.

·
Registered
2008 Pilot SE
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I totally get that people's situations vary. Most of us Piloteers I'm sure will go out of our way to help out another. That's what I like about this forum. Major repairs should be approached with a pro vs con thought process. My opinion (like many on here) is the Pilot is a great vehicle. I just can't see cars in general being scrapped for a repair that can be done fairly cheaply as a DIY. I keep telling myself I can't save them all, even though I'm trying.
Sorry for sounding like an ass, that wasn't my intent. I meant no offense to anyone.

1 - 20 of 107 Posts