Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my 2009 EX-L to a repair shop to get an oil leak taken care of. They recommended a new oil pan and oil pan gasket.

I can understand that a new gasket might be needed, but why would they recommend a new oil pan when it is only the gasket that is bad? How can the oil pan in a Pilot driven by a soccer mom get beaten up to the point that it needs to be replaced? It looks fine to me.

Another rec was for valve cover gaskets. I have only drops in my driveway to indicate that there is a problem. My need to add oil periodically is not any greater than it has been in the past. I'm not losing that much oil, just enough to see spots where I park.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
489 Posts
Have them explain why a new pan is needed. They should have a reason or else I wouldn't trust them.

If you've only seen oil on the ground, then I would want to see some pics of the leak locations or have them show me in the shop. Ideally they (or you) would clean up the evidence of the oil leaks and then drive it some and see where oil appears by checking every so often. Especially since they have suggested that there is a leak from the valve cover gasket as well.

When you first notice a leak by seeing oil on the ground, then that oil has already travelled some distance from the origin. That's why it's best to get the oil residue cleaned up and then check the suspected origin points after some driving.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Did you ask the repair shop?
No, I didn't ask the shop. Their estimate for the repair was enough to lead me to think that I couldn't trust their advice. I felt that whatever they told me would not be true...or, maybe it was only a version of the truth as they understood it.

·
Registered
192 Posts
No, I didn't ask the shop. Their estimate for the repair was enough to lead me to think that I couldn't trust their advice. I felt that whatever they told me would not be true...or, maybe it was only a version of the truth as they understood it.
I don't blame you one bit....

Trust is 99% in choosing a shop..... If you lost trust in that shop, time to walk away and find another mechanic.

Even if another shop suggests the same repairs, at least you'll trust them and sleep better.

·
Registered
322 Posts
The only reason for a new oil pan would be if previous oil change monkeys have stripped the drain plug threads (common), or if there is catastrophic oil pan damaged caused by an impact, or putting a lot of lifting on this pan with a jack (incredibly rare). Did they perform an oil change for you? Perhaps they stripped it, or determined the threads are damaged.

Valve cover gaskets are fairly common on these engines. It is not unheard of to need new ones as the rubber hardens over time and loses the ability to make a good seal. However, I'd take extreme care to inspect your spool valve and make sure you don't have a leak there. That is a cheap and easy fix, but if not taken care of will kill your alternator in short order.

This video shows where it leaks, but don't follow it using Hondabond, get the gasket replaced as we can buy new ones now, if this is leaking.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts