Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just want to guage why people chose the pilot. Yeah I know about honda quality and reliability and all that stuff, but is there any other reason? For me it was that we just outgrew our camry, as we just had another baby nine months ago, so that makes two kids. It was a pain to go anywhere especially vacation in the car. I also wanted the third row seat, and for its size, and it is a pretty big vehicle for what i would call a mid-size suv. My other option was the highlander, but it is much smaller IMO, more expensive, and no third row seat.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I bought my Pilot because of it's price, comfort and reliability. So far I haven't had any problems with window scrunch, rear noise, or any other problems described here in the site. I've been lucky so far.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Value

I'm in the same 2 kids boat as you, and discovered that carpooling is tough to impossible in most 2 row vehicles, thanks to front airbags and lack of three point middle seats. That leaves minivans and SUVs. I like 4WD, good quality and spending as little as possible - that left the Pilot.:D

·
Registered
29 Posts
hmmm

We have remarkably similar reasons. Our trusty Camry was tight with the arrival of kid number two ten months ago. We were stuffed to the gills on our trip to the Outer Banks this past summer.

We also thought about the Highlander. Then we were fixed on the MDX for a while, but finally settled on the Pilot. I surfed the acuramdx.org site for a time and realized that I wasn't really a "car guy" in the way that many of the people there are. I also didn't want to be overly concerned about damaging the car (don't get me wrong -- I care for the Pilot, but am realistic enough to know that it is going to take few hits from the kids and otherwise).

We been very happy so far.

fitzkorn

·
Registered
33 Posts
We bought the Pilot to move around three kids and the hockey gear that goes with them. Plus the back seat means we have some seperation when we travel.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Me too

Same reason. The Toyota was getting cramped after the arrival of our baby daughter who is nearly 10 months old now. We found it difficult to fit two child seats at the back. My wife and elder daughter wanted a van. I wanted a SUV. Went for checking out an Odyssey and landed the Pilot instead.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Although I have 3 grandkids that like to bum around with me on the weekends... I really got my Pilot because I was tired of asking to borrow this friends van or this other friends pick-up to haul stuff. Doing lots of home / yard improvements and wanted reliability, style, class and comfort with lots of hauling room! I got it! :29:

·
Registered
96 Posts
Sounds like a broken record here. We traded in our 01 Accord due to limited space. We have 2 kids and a dog, plus all the "junk" that goes with the kids functions.

I've had the Pilot for a month and a half, and I like it more each time I drive it.

·
Registered
45 Posts
We currently have a 2000 ES 300 Platinum which is running perfect. However, we recently learned that we have twins on the way.

My wife is totally anti-minivan and the Pilot was the best way to haul two kids, both of us, the required supplies and an extra person or two.

We also looked at the Volvo V70, but sitting backwards in the third row would have been too cumbersome for adults to get in/out of the rear.

Mike

·
Registered
423 Posts
No kids. No spouse. I just wanted a vehicle which has the reputaton that Honda has and would ride and get better milage than my Tahoe!
So far, since June, I have not been disappointed.

·
Registered
148 Posts
MiniVan Replacement

I essentially don't like MiniVans but "need one". The Pilot was a way to get out of a vehicle type I dislike to one I "really" like and have similar functionality for car-pooling kids to school and hauling large objects when needed.

People asked me "how do you like your Minivan"? My reply was "Well, it's a minivan".

Now, people say "how do you like your Pilot". I can say "great!"

By the way, I read somewhere that Honda was losing current Odessey owners that moved on to SUV's. Thus the Pilot gives them a chance to "stay in the Honda family", rather than move to Toyota, Nissan, Ford, etc.

Movement from Minivans to SUV's is real common as families grow from small kids into Teens. Teens actually put pressure on parents to rid themselves of the Minivan (esp if they want to drive it).

·
Registered
206 Posts
4 kids, two dogs, friends, hate mini vans...

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
macbethderham said:
4 kids, two dogs, friends, hate mini vans...
Hey macbeth... Was wonderin' what happened to you. Glad to see you're back.
Now don't forget the i-n-s-t-r-u-m-e-n-t-s! :D

·
Registered
57 Posts
It fit.

Tried it on. It fit. Felt good. Liked the color. Bought it.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Well as I have stated before here, the Pilot is simply THE BEST SUV out there, especially for under $30K.

You can't pay at or under $30K for another SUVand get the features that the Pilot has.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Re: It fit.

redrok03 said:
Tried it on. It fit. Felt good. Liked the color. Bought it.
Same here, we have a BMW wagon we bought before we had our daughter because it seemed like a cool family car and really fun to drive. The baby came and found that we traveled with at least 2 others. Wife said no minivan (yah) I said 4 door tahoe I said next car we get I want all wheel drive to go to Tahoe. She said that was way to big. Looked at the MDX, did not want to spend 50K. Heard about the Pilot liked the looks better then the MDX. Talked my wife to do a test drive and the rest is history.

2.5 months 4900 miles later still really like it.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Volvo back seats have no legroom, and I get stuck back there when my son gets bored on trips. With the second child born this past July, I had to have more room.

Had a deposit on an MDX, but when I noticed the Pilot had the DVD system, I made the switch. The Acura salesman hinted that the MDX might have a DVD in the 03 model (this was back in July), but I figured that even if it did, it would cost way more than the Pilot (that would be available in just a few short weeks).

So, I went with the Pilot, and have not been disappointed. I still swoon at the greyish-green MDX I see occasionally around town, but know I made the right decision for myself.

This is my first Honda. I haven't had any problems yet (knocking wood). We're planning to build a new house next year, so I hope to get SEVERAL good years out of this vehicle. Who knows what I'll want next...I've never bought two vehicles from the same manufacturer, but if things go well, this might be a turning point for me.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Everyone needs a vehicle to meet their own needs.
My wife felt the Pilot (MDX at the time, the Pilot wasn't out yet) was too big for her needs so we got her a Highlander (and she would buy it again). She uses for local errands and shuttling kids. When our kids were little she had a minivan (our older two now drive themselves).

I use my vehicle mainly carrying stuff for work. I had a Mountaineer and wanted something a little bigger but not too big. I'm in the city a lot. I really wanted an MDX but couldn't justify the extra money.

The HL's focus much more car like and the Pilot is much more SUV like. (In MA they both register as station wagons though)

·
Registered
57 Posts
It's the only 8 seater SUV with decent mileage, great quality, and falls within my designated budget.

It was 2 years ago that I heard that Honda was going to build such a vehicle and I almost traded in my Caravan for a Durango at that time. I waited for the Pilot to come out and the clincher was its price.

Needless to say, I'm glad I waited. Anyone interested in a used Caravan?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts