Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Headed down to the Outer Banks in September and I was thinking about picking up an ORV pass. I've driven the area before in a Tundra, Tacoma and Ridgeline. I've got all the equipment I need, I know to air down. I guess my only fear would be the lower ground clearance of the Pilot (2019). Just wondering if anyone else has taken their Pilot on the beach and what experience did you have?

Thanks

·
Registered
332 Posts
Headed down to the Outer Banks in September and I was thinking about picking up an ORV pass. I've driven the area before in a Tundra, Tacoma and Ridgeline. I've got all the equipment I need, I know to air down. I guess my only fear would be the lower ground clearance of the Pilot (2019). Just wondering if anyone else has taken their Pilot on the beach and what experience did you have?

Thanks
I've driven mine off pavement enough to be pretty confident with the clearance, as long as I'm conservative with it. Its got more clearance than another vehicle I had in the sand (gently) at both OBX and south Texas without serious incident.

However, given the Pilot's tendency to rust in the long term, I probably won't take mine anywhere near salt water. Its generally easier to avoid salt puddles at OBX than other beaches if it hasn't rained, but I suspect corrosion is a bigger threat than high-centering unless you're driving it too hard.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've driven mine off pavement enough to be pretty confident with the clearance, as long as I'm conservative with it. Its got more clearance than another vehicle I had in the sand (gently) at both OBX and south Texas without serious incident.

However, given the Pilot's tendency to rust in the long term, I probably won't take mine anywhere near salt water. Its generally easier to avoid salt puddles at OBX than other beaches if it hasn't rained, but I suspect corrosion is a bigger threat than high-centering unless you're driving it too hard.
Thanks, I've always been really careful to was the undercarriage, wheel wells etc....after I've been on a beach

·
Registered
705 Posts
I've never been on Sand but if it's anything like the beach in South Padre, you won't even need to air down. I took our front wheel drive Pontiac Vibe rental car there with no issue. I would imagine the Pilot would do well, especially if you know what you're doing out there.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
183 Posts
Being a saltwater boater/fisherman, I would keep my Pilot off of sandy/salty beaches if you are planning to keep the vehicle more than a couple years. And I would never get my tires in the saltwater. I have enough trouble keeping my boat trailer rust free.

·
Registered
172 Posts

Thanks

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Being a saltwater boater/fisherman, I would keep my Pilot off of sandy/salty beaches if you are planning to keep the vehicle more than a couple years. And I would never get my tires in the saltwater. I have enough trouble keeping my boat trailer rust free.

Is this just a Pilot thing? My 7 year old Tundra with 175K saw a lot of beach, no rust issues. The same with my 2011 Honda Ridgeline with 150K and 6 years old when I saw it......no rust

·
Registered
332 Posts
Is this just a Pilot thing? My 7 year old Tundra with 175K saw a lot of beach, no rust issues. The same with my 2011 Honda Ridgeline with 150K and 6 years old when I saw it......no rust
My opinion comes from the rear subframe mount failure in first-gens that's been discussed here quite a bit. It seems to affect rust-belt cars more, and to be fair, first gens are getting up in years. But the low spot in the unibody that fails looks to me like a perfect rust trap. There are plenty of other bare steel parts and fasteners under there, too. For me, keeping an old one running is an interesting challenge, so I look at risk factors in that light.

Sounds like you've had success keeping your vehicles clean, and OBX is plenty high and dry unless you get heavy rain. I think you've got enough clearance, and if you're comfortable with the rest of it, have a good time! Post some pics when you get back, too.

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
When you get home run it through one of the car washes that has the undercarriage jets...

Reactions: FASTFJR

·
Registered
337 Posts
Wife had hers out here a couple times already. By me you need to air down. The Staun deflators are real nice and easy. preset for 15lbs, much easier than sitting there with a pen/keys/air gauge etc. Use Sand mode, gentle gas. I always bring recovery gear, luckily didn't need it yet, murphys law. She did bottom out a couple times as the tire ruts were deeper. I haven't gotten the skid plate yet but will. She wants the Traxda lift. I did Fluid Film on the Pilot when it was about 2 weeks old. I will have that done yearly.

The Sequoia was rusting away everywhere underneath from the Northeast winters no beach involved. After it was rusting already we started to beach trip knowing it was a matter of time. If you are up North or have around consider Fluid Film, Wool Wax, Krown, Carwell. If I had done that with the Sequoia, I'd probably still have it.

I have a bag with the 30' recovery strap, shackles, extra hitch pins, 25' air hose and compressor https://www.amazon.com/Viair-00088-...=B005ASY23I&psc=1&refRID=JPBHFMAP1N0PCHTH6MRZ

Last 2 trips the air at beach compressor was down or had 20 car deep line. 10 minutes she was aired back up. The 88P clips on to battery and much better than the plug in power outlet ones. We also carry 4 46" 2x8's, collapsible aluminum avalanche shovel, better jack, fire extinguisher.........and a porta potty with pop up privacy tent ;). The cheap amazon version maxxtrax/treads might replace the boards for weight.

·
Registered
8 Posts

Thanks
Everyone says to follow the tracks made by other vehicles. The problem I have is that it would get deep and if I went to fast and bounced around I would scrap the bottom. There were times yesterday when I would make my own tracks and never got stuck. Maybe I was lucky or maybe the 2019 Pilot does a great job in sand mode. Either way take it easy, make sure you air down, then put it in Sand Mode.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Is this just a Pilot thing? My 7 year old Tundra with 175K saw a lot of beaches, no rust issues. The same with my 2011 Honda Ridgeline with 150K and 6 years old when I saw it......no rust
I would think if you were the car, paying close attention to the undercarriage, you would be ok. I will not touch the water though. I saw too many youtube videos of cars up to their doors in sand or water, to drive that close.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts