Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to remove front top t.belt covet to check it. It should take 10 min. I am pretty sure, t.belts look bad before they break. It would be a good idea to turn crank to check it completely.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I am pretty sure, t.belts look bad before they break.
This isn't conventional wisdom, in fact, the CW is the opposite..... timing belts look great right up to the point they fail. Many who replace at recommended intervals (around 105K miles) report the old belt looks "brand new".

I don't know of any mfg that recommends timing belt replacement based on a visual inspection. All spec mileage and/or time-in-service intervals.

- Mark

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When you buy a used car, you never know when t.belt was replaced. Look at serpentine belt, you can definitely see difference between new and old belt.

·
Registered
167 Posts
This isn't conventional wisdom, in fact, the CW is the opposite..... timing belts look great right up to the point they fail. Many who replace at recommended intervals (around 105K miles) report the old belt looks "brand new".

I don't know of any mfg that recommends timing belt replacement based on a visual inspection. All spec mileage and/or time-in-service intervals.

- Mark
Bingo!

Are you also going to do a visual of the tensioner and pulleys while you are at it? They have been known to have a shorter life than the belt. Serpentine is a whole other ballgame. Different design requirements, different wear characteristics, grooved vs. toothed (TB), exposed to dirt, water, & oil. Don't compare the two.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Before I got my old Maxima's TB replaced, it looked cracked and dried up. This was at around 120k miles. Never looked at TBs again.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Another thing to consider; Back in the early/mid 90's, ALL belts would look pretty bad with mileage/time on them, indicating they should be replaced.
Now in the days of HNBR(High Nitrile Butyl Rubber), I have personally had half of a belt come off while driving--sister's car.
The "back side" of the belt didn't look to bad, but the microgroove part of it was shot.
It's pretty much the same with timing belts.
"..... timing belts look great right up to the point they fail. Many who replace at recommended intervals (around 105K miles) report the old belt looks "brand new". --thanks markjenn.
I had the TB in my Pilot replaced and it looked brand new while I new for a fact it was approx. 90-100k miles old.

If in doubt, replace it.
It's better to spend money on timing belts than engine repairs or replacements.

My humble $ .02

·
Registered
133 Posts
Just some FYI regarding Honda OEM T belts the weakest link is the T belt tensioner, after working for Honda for 13 years the common problem of V6 cars getting towed in for timing belt problems is the T belt tensioners, when they leak they become weak and over time no longer maintain tension causing the T belt to become weak,it is very rare to see a belt snap, break or even shear off.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Just some FYI regarding Honda OEM T belts the weakest link is the T belt tensioner, after working for Honda for 13 years the common problem of V6 cars getting towed in for timing belt problems is the T belt tensioners, when they leak they become weak and over time no longer maintain tension causing the T belt to become weak,it is very rare to see a belt snap, break or even shear off.
Good to know. Is there a better quality aftermarket part?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Good to know. Is there a better quality aftermarket part?
Yes always use Aisin tensioners, thats the company that manufactures the tensioners for Honda and other car makes.

The only difference is the Aisin tensioners say " Aisin" while the OEM honda has nothing stamped on it but they are identical.

Gates makes the OEM T belts for Honda too

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
How long do tensioners last? 100k?
Cadillac Catera idler pullies killed engine around 50-60k miles.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I purchased my 08 Pilot in February with 136K on the odo. I had no record of the service history, so when I could do without the vehicle for a bit I took it in to have things checked over. This was at 141K miles. The mechanic said the timing belt looked good, but the water pump was just starting to leak, so he ended up replacing everything. That leads me to believe that the timing belt had never been replaced. The mechanic believes the leaking water pump would have damaged the belt and caused failure soon.

Just telling my story to give you some food for thought...

·
Registered
133 Posts
How long do tensioners last? 100k?
Cadillac Catera idler pullies killed engine around 50-60k miles.
The timing belt tensioners usually start to leak at around the 60-80k mile mark, you can tell when they leak because the outside of the tensioner is " stained " or " wet " , if it is NOT dry then more than likely it is leaking.

But even when they leak they don't usually fail until around 30-40k miles later.

I have seen people decline the timing belt service when they are due ( at 105k ) and verified the tensioner is wet, then get towed in maybe 20,000 miles later with a rattle noise from the tensioner slapping the idler gear

1 - 14 of 14 Posts