Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

Who thinks Honda Pilots suck???

1528 25
I own a 2008 Pilot, purchased in 2010 with 20k miles on it. Around 100k miles the headliner began failing, and now at 195k has completely failed. It also destroyed a torque converter at 140k miles, and needed a another torque converter and trans rebuild around 165k miles. It also needed a new “fancypants” fluid filled engine mount around 120k miles, and another around 180k miles. Not to mention impossible to track rattles from within the front passenger door, and that the timing belt and water pump need replaced every 110k miles.

I don’t mind the other part failures like the starter, throttle position sensor, and O2 sensors, but the latter stuff seems rather absurd for a Honda. The cabin air filter is also a piss poor design by some turd engineer that has never turned a wrench. Most forums seem to hold Pilots with high esteem, but I view mine as a liability and time bomb, and can’t wait to unload it on some poor unsuspecting bastard. And I suspect resale on ones like mine is so poor because dealers and KBB have gotten wise to how failure prone the first generation Pilots are.

Anyone else with a first gen or later that thinks Pilots are garbage? I’ve grown wise to the Honda/Acura cool-aid piss and find Toyotas to be a far superior option.
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
I own a 2008 Pilot, purchased in 2010 with 20k miles on it. Around 100k miles the headliner began failing, and now at 195k has completely failed. It also destroyed a torque converter at 140k miles, and needed a another torque converter and trans rebuild around 165k miles. It also needed a new “fancypants” fluid filled engine mount around 120k miles, and another around 180k miles. Not to mention impossible to track rattles from within the front passenger door, and that the timing belt and water pump need replaced every 110k miles.

I don’t mind the other part failures like the starter, throttle position sensor, and O2 sensors, but the latter stuff seems rather absurd for a Honda. The cabin air filter is also a piss poor design by some turd engineer that has never turned a wrench. Most forums seem to hold Pilots with high esteem, but I view mine as a liability and time bomb, and can’t wait to unload it on some poor unsuspecting bastard. And I suspect resale on ones like mine is so poor because dealers and KBB have gotten wise to how failure prone the first generation Pilots are.

Anyone else with a first gen or later that thinks Pilots are garbage? I’ve grown wise to the Honda/Acura cool-aid piss and find Toyotas to be a far superior option.
This guy just wanted to take a dump and run away.

Bye-bye

·
Registered
2006 Honda Pilot EXL, 3.5L 5 speed
169 Posts

Read your opening here. I have a 2006. My headliner became crap shortly after I bought it, so I had it replaced for about 250 at a local upolstry shop. I live in Oklahoma City where there are still honest people not trying to tear you a new one like you would encounter in Houston, Texas or a place like that.

I had an MDX and replaced all of the motor mounts (except the very rear one) myself. For around $200.00 or so, it was fine. That occurred at around 275,000 miles.

On my pilot, I beleve that I will need new motor mounts at about 250k. Maybe less, maybe more. Hopefully I will be able to do them in the summer.

Chasing rattles is no fun, but take a saturday and chase it down. If you have the door panels open, I suggest getting some of that dynamat, some closed cell foam, and maybe Mass loaded vinyl and apply liberally on the door panels. I did the same and it improved the sound quality of the car slightly. It was worth it. Good luck with that.

What I am trying to say is that these cars are pretty easy to work on with the exception of that stupid cabin filter. I remember the days before all of that nonsense, so there's that.

What concerns me is the frequent transmission replacements. That is frustrating. Did you get that done at a shop? Did they have any kind of warranty? You may have gotten a crappy transmission and had the work done at a crappy transmission shop. I had that kind of experience with my 05 MDX at a transmission shop in Webster, Texas. When I got the car back, the car gave off a popping noise. Ithink that the bushings in the subframe were damaged during removal. Of course, I can't prove it, and the "warranty" has long expired. I gave them motor mounts to replace, but they just left them sitting int he front seat. When I got the car back, I still ahd other transmission isssues, including a solenoid that I had to replace. I did that one myself too. As for yours, I hope that you can get that resolved. That's ridiculous.

On the pilot, you have to change your transmission fluid. When I bought it I did a 3x exchange and then a drain and refill every year since. I'll keep doing it until the thing dies.

I understand the frustration. I moved from a Lexus ES300 to an Acura TL last year. The lexus was giving a loud valve tick which places wanted 3500 to fix. I just decided that I wanted something different. I think that the V6 toyota engine isn't as good as people say it is, although the later 3.5L models seem to hold up well.

Good luck with whatever you decide. I don't blame you given the transmission issue.

·
Registered
5,595 Posts
This thread cracks me up... if you want a lot of people to agree and commiserate go to a competitor's forum and make this post. This is an enthusiast forum, we like our Pilots warts and all and work collaboratively to find solutions for common and rare issues that some users have.

·
Registered
132 Posts
When I read this kind of rant, it makes me think that is a driver who abuses the vehicle, and then, likes to blame the vehicle for it.

Funny side story: a read a trade publication article in my previous field (I'm retired now) saying that we should change our equipment failure/repair terminology from "User error" to "Use error" so that we don't hurt the feelings of the people who broke or jammed the device.

Ooops, I'm sorry, I hope I haven't hurt the feelings of our OP with my first line in this response.

·
Registered
14 Posts

Nope, my 1st gen pilot has been performing perfectly... also, it's a little scary seeing so many 1st gen's like mine running around town too!

·
Registered
2007 Honda Pilot EX-L 2WD
65 Posts
Used Honda Pilots and their other Honda models are hard to find for sale at used cars dealers. Kias, Hyundais, and American brands are not hard to find, at all, don't move off the lots for the most part (I wonder why?), and the prices are laughable (because those junkers are sold to folk that can't get credit to buy a decent car is the only reason why so the used car lots get away with what they do).

They have to be maintained of course.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts