Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Pilot EX-L
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First car was an 1973 Mustang Mach 1 351C, then owned a GMC p/u 3 on the tree.
Real cars, they had soul. Not these vehicles we drive now, worrying about fluid flushes, and idiot lights.
Only thing I worried about is if I had five dollars to fill it for cruising around.
I hate new cars.

·
Registered
2013 Pilot Touring
12 Posts
Yes, I am with you! Since I have always had to haul stuff, I have owned a lot of vans, especially mid-70's Dodges - some I loved and some I hated, but they had a certain character you could do that with.
I miss being able to crawl under the hood and have enough room for turning normal wrenches, and not having to worry about breaking fragile plastic bits. And no computer glitches! I have to admit I don't miss carburetors and distributors, though.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
9,249 Posts
Went for my first joyride by reattaching expired plates to my folks' 1968 Plymouth Barracuda. Worth every bit the wrath unleashed on me when I got back home.

Soon thereafter, the famous "one word" from the movie The Graduate started to gradually and inexorably encroach on carmakers. :(

·
Registered
238 Posts
Real cars, they had soul. Not these vehicles we drive now, worrying about fluid flushes, and idiot lights. I hate new cars.
Me too. The wife and I test drove the new Venza a couple of weeks ago. The dash and console controls were ALL electronic (worst than Honda). I turned to the sales rep sitting in the back seat and said, "You've turned the car into a cell phone! So much for no texting and driving!" She blinked for a second and stuttered, "But that is what people want now." As we walked out the door I asked the wife if we ought to consider a horse and buggy. My arm still hurts. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
8,919 Posts
Me too. The wife and I test drove the new Venza a couple of weeks ago. The dash and console controls were ALL electronic (worst than Honda). I turned to the sales rep sitting in the back seat and said, "You've turned the car into a cell phone! So much for no texting and driving!" She blinked for a second and stuttered, "But that is what people want now." As we walked out the door I asked the wife if we ought to consider a horse and buggy. My arm still hurts. :rolleyes:
Car & Driver did a brief review of the new Venza and struggled to determine why anyone would pay a premium for it over a comparable RAV4 hybrid - unless you really liked the Venza styling or really hated the RAV4 styling.

·
Registered
232 Posts
My first new car I bought was a 66 Mustang with the 289 and 4 speed. Easy to work on and fun car. I have had many MG's over the years, another easy to work on and fun car.

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
My first car was a '96 Accord. I even have the nostalgia for that era of car. No screens on the dash or gauges cluster, no frills but the benefits of EFI and A/C and a couple other niceties.

Reactions: The Todd

·
Registered
8,919 Posts
Almost traded in the "real car" for a Pontiac Vibe through the "cash for clunkers" program.
Wanted to combine the $4,500 allowance with some GM credit card earnings, but the program ran out of cash before I could complete the deal.

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,063 Posts
While you say 'real Cars', and yes, I know what you meant.
I don't miss setting and changing points. Nor do I miss the sub par rides of the non radial tires, and I don't miss the often way crappier suspensions either.

·
Registered
2008 Pilot EX-L
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
While you say 'real Cars', and yes, I know what you meant.
I don't miss setting and changing points. Nor do I miss the sub par rides of the non radial tires, and I don't miss the often way crappier suspensions either.
1.5 pump for chevy
2 pump for dodge
3 pump for ford.
Yes I do not miss carbs.
Fuel injection is cats ass.

·
Registered
504 Posts
My memory says that nostalgia makes "personality" seem a lot more endearing from 50 years out that it seemed at the time, but I agree that turning cars into cell phones is not useful progress.

For me, late '80's engineering built as '90's vehicles was the high point. Reliability and quality were (mostly) great, safety features were mature enough to really help, complexity was manageable, and maintenance was still relatively simple. Start looking for late '90's CRV's. You'll be amazed at how many there are still around.

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
I like driving my '61 Impala because it involves 100% of my brain power. 3 speed manual on the column, unsynchronized first gear. 283 small block. I have to really think about what gear I need to be in, plan ahead, etc. There is no time to talk on the phone or look at texts.

I did put front disk brakes, power booster and dual reservoir master cylinder on for safety. As well as all new stainless hard lines, stainless flex lines, junction blocks, etc.

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Reactions: KaHOnas

·
Registered
8,919 Posts
I equate it to cutting grass on the zero turn. Just focus on being symbiotic with the machine, nothing else.
I never seem to get into the zone with my Honda walk-behind mower.
Almost all of the neighbors use a lawn service, except for the guy with an electric mower ... and a Tesla.

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
I never seem to get into the zone with my Honda walk-behind mower.
Almost all of the neighbors use a lawn service, except for the guy with an electric mower ... and a Tesla.
My 1/4 acre I cut with the Troy-Bilt pushmower (w/ Honda GCV160 engine) does a pretty good job of clearing my mind. My parents have 5 acres and a Husqvarna ZTH6127. It went from 3.5-4 hours on the John Deere 285 to 1.5 hours, maybe 2 hours if it's really wet. I finally talked my dad into getting one of the suspension seats for it, highly recommend.

I am debating going full electric for lawncare equipment when the Troy-Bilt goes up. The tech has been around for a while now and there are enough players, the good brands and products should rise to the top by the time I'm ready. My only hangup is I do NOT rake leaves, I mulch them every week while they drop and use the blower vac to suck up the leaves the mower can't get to. I haven't seen much in terms of battery powered blower vacs.

·
Registered
693 Posts
My first very own was an Oldmobile Delta88 1987 (Royal Brougham)
A pretty decent vehicle, but I definitely find the cars from 2005-2015 years more to my liking. Not too keen on newer ones though. The engine shut-off at stops? Hate it. Sensors that try to drive the car for me? Yuck. A couple years during a California trip we rented a loaded Tahoe, its sensor array is linked to the darned driver seat. It would vibrate my butt from the direction it sensed an obstacle! Last year in Switzerland, we got an Audi Q5, it had all the latest nanny gear - lane keeper, adaptive cruise control, full sensor array. etc. Not a fan, but I did like the projection GPS that looked sorta floating 10ft in front of the car.

·
Registered
8,919 Posts
My 1/4 acre I cut with the Troy-Bilt pushmower (w/ Honda GCV160 engine) does a pretty good job of clearing my mind.

I am debating going full electric for lawncare equipment when the Troy-Bilt goes up. The tech has been around for a while now and there are enough players, the good brands and products should rise to the top by the time I'm ready. My only hangup is I do NOT rake leaves, I mulch them every week while they drop and use the blower vac to suck up the leaves the mower can't get to. I haven't seen much in terms of battery powered blower vacs.
My Honda mower with the twin blades does a spectacular job mulching leaves.
I have a small Toro electric unit to blow leaves onto the lawn so that the Honda mower can mulch them.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Should have kept my '62 Chevy half ton w/ Deluxe Cab. I lost a '65 Cadillac DeVille convertible in a friend's house fire (it was in the basement garage where I worked on it on weekends). Been downhill ever since. '63 T-bird convertible (200+K mile basket case), '69 Olds 98 (totaled), '79 Buick LeSabre (gettin' boxy now). 82 Chevy Citation X-11 was fun despite the bad reputation. '85 Celica GTS was also a fun car. Then I wound up with a family. '87 Astro, 99 Ford E350. Still driving a 90 Accord 5 speed with 389k. Couple 07 Elements and the 09 Pilot in the family.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts