• No

Votes: 107 36.0%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 113 Posts

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who is having a starting problem with there Pilot? Birdman and I are thinking of sending a letter to Honda, but first want to do a poll..

thanks

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
This has happened to me on two occassions when I was physically in the car. I use the remote car starter quite a bit now, so, I don't know about those times and I'm rather very concerned about that since I don't think the remote starter knows to quit cranking after a few seconds if the car doesn't start, like a human would.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
It only seems to happen when I'm in a hurry. If I insert the key and turn at a slower pace, it always starts on the first try!

·
Registered
6 Posts
We are having starting problems! Our Pilot is in the shop right now for other problems. We would be interested in the letter.

·
Registered
17 Posts
happened to us too

I called service @ local dealer & was told it was "normal" in cold weather!! My 10 yrs old Toyota college car never had trouble starting up!

·
Registered
411 Posts
Re: happened to us too

qyang said:
I called service @ local dealer & was told it was "normal" in cold weather!! My 10 yrs old Toyota college car never had trouble starting up!
I agree. My 16 year old VW still does not have trouble starting.

NORMAL does not equal ACCEPTABLE. Don't let the dealer get away with calling any problem "normal". Problems should not be normal for any new vehicle.

If the non-starting feature is considered normal, ask why they don't include the feature in their Pilot adds ;)

·
Registered
212 Posts
Happened to me twice

2 times, one in each day.
Both happened inside my garage, not too cold, maybe 4 degree C.
I just cranked hard dor 3 times then it started.

Should not happen to a new car, asked the dealer to check during the 2nd oil change.
Standard official answer, cannot pull out any error code for computer !

·
Registered
56 Posts
No joke - it happened about three or four times on Saturday alone. That was the worst it's ever been. It keeps cranking & won't take. The little green "key" icon on the dash then blinks, and I wait for it to stop before trying again.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Me too!

I've experienced this a handful of times. In another thread on this forum someone mentioned that if you turn the key to "ON" for a second or two (to give the fuel system a chance to engage) then turn the key to start you shouldn't experience any problems.

Since reading this I've made a habit of taking an extra second or two to start the car. I haven't had the starting problem when doing this. Whether this is coincidence or not is anybody's guess but it seems to be working.

·
Registered
7 Posts
starting problems here too

Please add me to the sometimes have problems category. I couldn't get the poll link to work.

thanks and glad to know I'm not the only one.

Nickie

·
Registered
10 Posts
Starting Problems

Please send a letter to Honda. This has happened multiple times. Sometimes I go as long as 20 min. before my Pilot starts. It is frustrating to have spent all this money & not be able to start my truck.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I will be setting up a new thread soon, to ask people who want to be a part of this letter..You can view the letter at "Letter to Honda regarding starting problems"thread.

thanks for your support

rob

·
Registered
2 Posts
My Pilot, which I generally love, also has the occasional slow start.
In my part of the world (Oregon), we have oxy and otherwise blended gas in the winter. The Honda OwnerLink site seems to corroborate the theory that substandard gasoline could affect starting. With this, I burned my tank down to empty and then got some Texaco (brand name) gas. It has started every time since. Strange. I'll still be paying attention, however. My 96 Accord always starts perfectly, regardless of weather, gasoline blends, fast key starts, etc.

I will look forward to reading the results of "the letter", and plan to call Honda myself.

Still love my Hondas! Just hope they pay attention to us and keep us happy customers!

Oregon Sun

·
Registered
27 Posts
I had the starting problem a couple of times. Had a friend who was with me once. Had to crank it for 20 secs before it started with a really rough idle for another 5 secs. My 11 yr old civic never had this problem.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have put a new thread together regarding the letter to Honda.. Check it out.. need all your guys info. It will explain it on that thread what I need from our members.

You can view the letter on the thread marked "Letter to Honda regarding starting problem"

thanks
rob

·
Registered
199 Posts
Thanks, Gopilot, for all your extra work on this. Looks like there's for sure a problem, given results of the poll. Based on experience with my Pilot and reading some of the replies, I would say it's not just a matter of starting technique, but a real hardware or software problem with the Pilot that is perhaps getting worse with age/mileage. And, a very high failure rate! I'll follow up and send the letter later this month after all who want to be on the American Honda letter sign on. Birdman

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hi Birdman, and thanks to you also, I have sent six or seven PM's so far to you with the owners info, will give it lets say the end of the month Jan 31, to get all the owners who want to be involved before we send the letter. How's that sound? I will send you a final PM to let you know when I get the last information added to the letter.

rob

·
Registered
41 Posts
OK folks, here's the skinny on our starting problem.

I went and saw my service guy today. (Note, I live in Minnesota).

He said the problem is common to all Honda V6 engines. Pilot, Accord, Odysey, and some Acuras. He said it's related to fuel types and weather (not specific octanes or gas brands).

He also said that Honda has sent bulletins out on the problem twice, once in 2001 and once in 2002.

Specifically the issue relates to temprature and fuel. We had a very cold October, before the winter gas was available. He said they had a ton of issues at that time. In January, we had highs in the upper 50s. Another ton of issues for them, since winter fuel was not available and temps were warm.

He said the issue is the equivalent of a vapor lock or flooding sometimes depending on if it is winter or summer fuel and what the outdoor temp is.

Honda recommends that V6 owners turn the car on for 2-3 seconds before attempting to start. He said that has cured most problems. Otherwise he said Honda considers 7-10 second starting times as normal when the fuel issues come up.

Honda is very aware of the problem according to him.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I want to change my vote.
I'm now part of the hard start club. It's only happened once so far but it took 3 tries to start yesterday. I don't doubt it could be fuel but I tend to think more towards the key not being read properly. When it did start I really smelled gas (like it was flooded) and it ran really rough for minute or so.

1 - 20 of 113 Posts