Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

Who has the highest mileage 3rd Gen - Any Carbon buildup?

2K views 7 replies 8 participants last post by  wootek 
#1 ·
Now that it's been a few years since the new engine was introduced, I imagine someone has hit >100k miles.

I'm curious to find out if carbon buildup from the direct injection has been an issue over the long run.

#4 ·
My 2016 has about 67k miles, no issues. I have done all the scheduled maintenance at the dealer, runs great. This was my wife's daily driver but I drove it very regularly and I always made a point to drive it in sport mode on occasion for speedy merging onto the fwy, just to help prevent any carbon. It is my daily for about the last 4 months. Up until recently we lived near the Ocean in CA so temps never really got past 100F but we vacationed in hot places like Vegas and Palm Springs in the summer. Now, we have been living in Vegas for over a year now and if I had carbon buildup I would know it in the summer haha, no way it wouldnt knock on 87. I tend to put 89/91 in the summers out here though just to be safe but it does run fine on 87.

One thing we had fail just before warranty was up was a fuel pump and then after warranty an injector failed. Thank goodness we had an aftermarket extended warranty from the dealer. They told us Honda only sells them as a full set and they were ready to charge us about $1500 in parts, then we told them about the warranty and they covered it Phew. I kinda chalk this up to my wife ALWAYS letting the Pilot get on fumes before gassing up, no matter how often I would tell her it was not good for the pump (fuel cools them). I think the service before the injector failed we did the injector cleaner. That could have been a cause or the tech just misdiagnosed it was an injector which I kinda think was the case. I wont go on about it as it is a long story and being a former auto tech I have a hard time trusting half the guys in any shop. Those of you in repair know what I mean, plenty of parts changers out there with no technical skill.

#6 ·
155,000 miles for me.. just Transmission issues.. Changing timing belt tomorrow. No one brought it up at the 100k service.. Sounds like one of my tensioners is making noise.. That happens though. they bearings go bad at some point.

Why would their be carbon build up from direct injection? Isn't that a better atomization and more efficient method of fuel delivery? So it is less likely to run rich? I've always had carbon build up from a rich condition or oil getting into the fuel delivery system.

#7 ·
155,000 miles for me.. just Transmission issues.. Changing timing belt tomorrow. No one brought it up at the 100k service.. Sounds like one of my tensioners is making noise.. That happens though. they bearings go bad at some point.

Why would their be carbon build up from direct injection? Isn't that a better atomization and more efficient method of fuel delivery? So it is less likely to run rich? I've always had carbon build up from a rich condition or oil getting into the fuel delivery system.
Look up DI carbon build up. It’s the nature of the technology. Fuel isn’t sprayed directly on top of the valves like fuel injected engines. Instead it’s sprayed right into the combustion chamber. So the tops of the valves are prone to carbon build up. This is why using a quality top tier fuel is a must with DI.

And your maintenance minder should have notified you of the t belt service @ 105K. Don’t forget plugs too, they were due at 105k as well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.