Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mine was supposedly built on Friday, 10/11/02, and I read somewhere that they shut down the line about 10:00 am on that day, and have not started it up again yet. My vin is 37266. Anyone have a number after that?

Also, who will get the first one after they start the line up again?

It would be interesting to try to determine the point in the vin number sequence where the break occured. It could end up being a start or an end of a particular problem...

:12:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Mine was shipped on that day to be delivered Oct 25th.
What's your delivery date? Does it usually take two weeks? Seems a bit long. Oh, my six digit VIN#535591.

Does it mean they built 35,591 units by then (and 37K+ in your case)? I've read somewhere that they planned to build 80,000 Pilots this year. Not much time left, and the West coast longshoremen's strike will make things that much worse.

It sounds as though you have no problem containing your excitement (?) I do... :jester:

DesertRose

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here's my dates:
- Get my name on the list at the dealer: 7/6/02
- Dealer submits my order to honda in their allotment: 9/20/02
- Build date: 10/11
- Ship date: 10/15
- Delivery date(scheduled): 10/22

The time it takes to ship probably depends on how far you are from the factory. (I'm in the midwest.) And who knows, I might not really get it until the end of October!

As far as building 80,000, I think that is either for the first 12 months of production, or for all the Pilots that will be labeled as "2003", which could run up through August of next year. Anyway, they appear to be making about 7,000 per month, or 230 per day, which is actually pretty close to 80,000 per year. They will probalby end up building alot more than that, because production will pick up when they start making them at the new plant in early 2003.

As far as excitement, my '88 accord is dying and at this point I am just hoping it lasts until I can pick up the pilot, so I don't have to rent a car to fill the gap!

·
Registered
465 Posts

You are correct Hermbro. They are building 80,000 2003 models.

·
Registered
71 Posts

Dealer called when the shutdown was announced to let me know ours (#35,957) had been completed and wouldn't be affected. Delivery today or tomorrow!:jump3:

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Re: 35,957

RedLex said:
Dealer called when the shutdown was announced to let me know ours (#35,957) had been completed and wouldn't be affected. Delivery today or tomorrow!:jump3:
Very cool RedLex..... How exciting! YIPPEE!
Let us know how delivery went!! :29:

·
Registered
289 Posts
West Coast dock strike

caused a lack of some needed parts.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
You can't go by your VIN to determine the total number of Pilots built to date. The pilots going to Canada have a different series of Vins, and I suspect that those going to countries other than Canada/US may have other VIN series.
On the week-end I saw a new Pilot ( still had all of the seat covers and shipping paper on it, including plastic over the wheels) on a lot in Midland, Ontario with a VIN in the 3000's. I know that it is recent production because it had the Bridgestones on it.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Scoobs said:
You can't go by your VIN to determine the total number of Pilots built to date. The pilots going to Canada have a different series of Vins, and I suspect that those going to countries other than Canada/US may have other VIN series.
On the week-end I saw a new Pilot ( still had all of the seat covers and shipping paper on it, including plastic over the wheels) on a lot in Midland, Ontario with a VIN in the 3000's. I know that it is recent production because it had the Bridgstones on it.
Hi guys, sorry I have been out of the loop,, what is going on??? They shut down for how long? They changed the tires? why? Holy smokes.. when did this all happen.. Went to my dealer and my Pilot has not been built yet.. so I guess I will be getting it in November now??

take care
rob

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Re: Getting there !!

r_parikh said:
Just got called from my dealer and got VIN# it is 37444. Hopefully will be here soon :)
37444 must be getting very close to the last one made, since it's 178 after mine, and I'm guessing only about 300 are made each day. (I'm assuming that they were both built on Friday, 10/11/02.)

Keep us posted on when you get it, it will be interesting to compare the travel schedule of two pilots built the same day.

By the way, did you add your's to the VIN list?

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Bridgestones

http://www.bridgestonetire.com/CA_EN/dpp/index.asp

Gopilot,
I think this is the tire that they are now fitting on the Pilot. It was on the one I saw at the dealer in Midland, and some other people on this board have said their Pilots came with Bridgestones.

Attachments

·
Registered
991 Posts
Thanks Scoobs for the tire image.. Any Idea if Honda is still building Pilots? or have they totally stoped on Oct 11-2002?

Bridestone should be similar to the goodyears, know if they are a better tire or not?

take care
rob

·
Registered
41 Posts
Re: Re: Getting there !!

Hermbro said:

By the way, did you add your's to the VIN list?

Do not know my build date yet. But will keep everyone posted. Hopefully they did not use left over parts for my honda before shutdown!!! :(

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Bridgestone&tireModel=Dueler+H/L

GoPilot,

I think the Bridgestones are probably a better tire than the Goodyear but judging from the comments at Tirerack.com there could be little real difference in the real world. You can look up both the Goodyear and the Bridgestone at the above link. Both tires are designed for highway driving although the Goodyear is listed as a passenger car tire and the Bridgestone as a light truck tire. To see both of them in real life on a Pilot you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference between the "passenger car tire" and the "light truck tire". I've attached a larger image of the tread. When I saw the Bridgestone on a Pilot ( it was parked next to three others that had Goodyears ) it looked more square-shouldered and narrower than the Goodyear. This is to be expected as Goodyears traditionally have a more rounded shoulder and thus look wider than they actually are. The contact patch is probably similar in size.
The only thing I do know for certain is that there are tires out there that are better than both the Bridgestone and the Goodyear.

I was at my dealer today and they told me that production of pilots etc. in Alliston had started again.

Attachments

·
Registered
120 Posts
Bridgestone vs. Goodyear

I have had two sets of Bridgestones on two different vehicles. The first set was fine, not stellar, but OK. The second set, (same tires, and not cheap) was such a piece of crap, I swore I would never buy Bridgestone again. Remember, Bridgestone is Japanese for Firestone. I know they are different plants entirely, but same company for all intents and purposes.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Re: Bridgestone vs. Goodyear

tibbitts said:
Remember, Bridgestone is Japanese for Firestone. I know they are different plants entirely, but same company for all intents and purposes.
They used to be totally separate companies until Bridgestone, a Japanese origin, bought the American Firestone Tire Company.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Pilot plant shutdown

The St. Paul MN Pioneer Press on October 19 reported that the 4 Honda plants in Ohio temporarily halted production Oct 18 to allow parts to build up. They did not say when the Ohio plants will resume production.
The also reported that Honda plans to suspend production Oct. 21 at its plant in Alliston, Ontario(Pilot Plant), and resume production on Tuesday, Oct. 22

1 - 20 of 34 Posts