Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm curious. The VCM disable fans believe that it's a MUST HAVE, but I've seen many V6 Hondas (Pilots, Odysseys, and Accords) with 250,000+ miles that do NOT have a VCM disable device. I understand that there was an issue with the VCM and that Honda extended the warranty of the affected vehicles. However, has the issue been overblown? Those who were affected will most likely be more vocal than those who haven't, that's just how these things go.

So, if you have a Pilot and do NOT have a VCM disable device, I have a few questions:
1. How many miles do you have on your vehicle?
2. Have you had any issues that can be traced to the VCM system?
3. Have you ever had a VCM disable device on your vehicle, and then removed it?
4. Are you planning on installing a VCM disable device? Why?

Thanks to all who reply. Have a great day.

·
Premium Member
363 Posts
Our 2012 Pilot never had VCM device. We put 110K miles on and handed it down to our daughter who still has it and is driving it. I think miles are like 150K now. There have been no engine issues whatsoever, period.

I'm not looking to fix what isn't broken.

Reactions: Tanner

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
At around 210k miles on my 2012 Honda Crosstour V6 2WD, I had to replace the VVT solenoids and spool (with gaskets) due to a severe oil leak. It required removing the valve cover and rocker arm assembly. The photo I took proves that these engines without a VCM deactivation device will have burnt oil deposits in the head around the cylinder that stops fireing during VCM operation. Without taking the heads off, I feel safe to assume that the valves in these cylinders would be caked with oil deposits. Picture says it all.

Reactions: plplplpl

·
Registered
56 Posts
I don't have one yet, Lost an E-Bay auction for one so will be ordering one full price. I bought my 2011 Pilot without one, it had 130K KM, I've driven it 26K myself so far and I do not like how the car acts under VCM and I am starting to feel the issues creeping up on the same approx mileage most people report them, 100-120K Miles right around the 156K KM's on mine now. I don't want to have to pull the valve covers and intakes to clean the above ^^^ shit out of my engine in 20-30K km's.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts