Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently leased a brand new 2021 Pilot. After delivery I noticed lots of tiny white dots on the side of the passenger seat, top of the seat on the leather and on the dash and glove box. It does rub off but I am curious to know what it is. Anyone have any idea? Thank you

·
Registered
303 Posts
Looks like paint overspray. You might want to post this in the Pilot forum, btw.

Is the vehicle white? If so, paint overspray confirmed.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
My vehicle is white. I originally thought it was overspray but I brought it to a body shop to look at and they said it was not overspray. It rubs off with windex on a rag. I thought it might have something to do with when they mist the car with sanitizer for Covid. I also noticed there was a sticker inside the vehicle that said Appearance Protection on it. I wonder if they sprayed some kind of chemical on the interior surfaces.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There was a sticker inside the windshield that said Appearance Protection on it. I bought the vehicle from an Autonation dealer and they do sell an Appearance Protection Package which I did not pay for. It must have already been done to the vehicle.
This is what it says on their website about it:
Appearance Coverage
  • Paint Protection protects your vehicle from the effects of acid rain, spotting, fading, oxidation, and loss of gloss.
  • Fabric Protection protects the interior fabric by preventing stains and discoloration allowing for quick and easy clean up.
  • Leather Protection inhibits UV damage, drying and the loss of soft, supple texture, fading, discoloration, staining, premature aging and cracking, rips, tears and burns

·
Administrator
2016 CRV Touring AWD, 2005 Pilot RIP.
16,321 Posts
Looks like armorall over spray from retailers.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If that's just protectant overspray, then that's just sloppy and ridiculous.
That’s all I can think it would be. I don’t think they would be painting the car with the door open. I also brought it to a body shop and they didn’t think it was paint. They were able to rub it off with windex on a rag. He said if it was paint it would not come off that easy. He also looked over the vehicle and did not see any signs it was painted.
I agree it is sloppy and ridiculous. What else would you expect from a dealer.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I also noticed there are similar small white dots all over the exterior paint on the passenger side of the vehicle. They wipe off easily with a rag.
They are hard to see in the photo because I have the white Pearl paint.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Usually paint overspray on paint would require a clay bar for removal. If you're removing it with a rag with no chemicals, it may just be a sloppy application of an exterior sealant. If they had your windows open during application, that would explain why it's all over your interior as well.

Anyway, if it all wipes off that easily, why not just wash the car? It sounds like that will address the issue.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Usually paint overspray on paint would require a clay bar for removal. If you're removing it with a rag with no chemicals, it may just be a sloppy application of an exterior sealant. If they had your windows open during application, that would explain why it's all over your interior as well.

Anyway, if it all wipes off that easily, why not just wash the car? It sounds like that will address the issue.
Thanks for your input. That makes sense. I did go to a drive thru car wash and the white dots on the paint did not come off.
When I wipe them with just a rag they do come off.
I am getting the car hand detailed and waxed on Friday. Hopefully that will resolve everything.

·
Registered
353 Posts
It's dried polish. After the vehicles are unloaded from the transport truck at the dealer, the minimum-wage detailers do a quick wash and polish. They load their polishers up with too much polish and it slings all over the place and they don't care where it goes - they're just trying to finish the job so they can get to the next one.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts