Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

whistling noise

4K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  jazcar 
#1 ·
NEED HELP PLEASE: has anyone heard of a "whistling noise" after you release your foot from the gas pedal and the same noise stops when your foot steps on the brake while travelling at 30-60mi/hr ? the noise starts on deceleration and it disappears on acceleration or when you steps on the brake. I noticed the sound only at 30-60m/hr(nice road, no bumps). THANKS.

#4 ·
One More Thing....

Check to see if your side mirrors are locked into place. When I had my Expedition, if mine weren't locked in, I'd get a whistle.

I haven't had the problem with the PILOT, but it's worth a check.

#6 ·
The only whistle I've heard is from my passenger side mirror in extreme winds. I was traveling about 80 mph down the interstate against a 30+ mph head wind and boy did that mirror whistle. It was locked in place too. I could change the frequency of the whistle by adjusting the mirror to different angles.

-Pete

#8 ·
Wind Noise

My Pilot has sort of a "kissing" noise. It only occurs when we are driving at highway speeds and a strong cross-wind is present. The sound comes (apparently) from the down-wind front door window seal or perhaps the mirror. This is not a whistle, but someone else may describe it differently.

#9 ·
Re: One More Thing....

PILOTinginCO said:
Check to see if your side mirrors are locked into place. When I had my Expedition, if mine weren't locked in, I'd get a whistle.

I haven't had the problem with the PILOT, but it's worth a check.
my mirrors are locked in place. it's weird because the noise is only noticeable on deceleration at 30-40mi/hr, its stops on stepping on the brakes or on acceleration. it seems the noise is coming from the front (hood, wheels, engine, etc).

#10 ·
Whistling Noise! I RECORDED it !!

YES! YES! YES!

I too have heard this excruitatingly annoying sound. Although it is *very* intermittent, I was able to record it 4 times in one night. If anyone wants the (4) .mp3 files, I'd like to share them to see if what I have is what you have.

Various Honda dealers are blowing me off. I have a ticket open now with Honda.

#11 ·
Re: Whistling Noise! I RECORDED it !!

bjlinder said:
YES! YES! YES!

I too have heard this excruitatingly annoying sound. Although it is *very* intermittent, I was able to record it 4 times in one night. If anyone wants the (4) .mp3 files, I'd like to share them to see if what I have is what you have.

Various Honda dealers are blowing me off. I have a ticket open now with Honda.
mine is not intermittent but i usually noticed it after driving for a while like after an a hour(not after just getting out from my driveway). FYI:i usually consult this site before attempting to bring my dear pilot to any service center. i learned lesson with my previous pilot. please send me your file (dokpilot@yahoo.com). thanks.

#12 ·
I had a whistling noise on my Pilot. It usually could be heard only above 30-40mph and was worse if it was windy outside. I determined that it was a leak into the cabin by pressing the recirculation button on the climate control system which made the pitch of the whistle noise change.

The dealer I bought the car confirmed the whistle, but could not find the source. Last week I took my Pilot in for the 15k service at a different dealership. I added the whistle and a rattle to their To Do list.

They found it! The whistle was apparently a windshield leak at the cowling. The technician stated that he "resealed the windshield at the cowling. I am really stoked that they found it!

-Dave

#13 ·
I'd check the air intake path (filter box, filter, resonator, and all the tubes right up to the throttle body).

Could be a vacuum leak from somewhere, too.

Do you happen to have the towing package installed?

Doubting air leak from windshield, pillars or elsewhere since it disappears on accel/decel.

#14 ·
Whistling noise

Hey Dockpilot,
Had the same problem....first they resealed my windshield but the whistle reappeared shortly after...
so after taking it back a second time they realized they actually had a service bulleten on it..
its the actual cowl thats making the noise...tell them/dealer to check that out

#15 ·
hey The Worm, i don't have the towing package, will discuss this to a service advisor

thanks robcentral

i will keep you updated once i talked to a service advisor

ms dokpilot is currently can not live without our pilot, so maybe next month i can bring the car to a service center

#16 ·
Re: Wind Noise

jazcar said:
My Pilot has sort of a "kissing" noise. It only occurs when we are driving at highway speeds and a strong cross-wind is present. The sound comes (apparently) from the down-wind front door window seal or perhaps the mirror. This is not a whistle, but someone else may describe it differently.
My wife (the passenger) described the noise as a 'fluttering sound' in a different thread.

On advice from anouther member of Honda-Pilot.Org I lubed the right rear door seal with silicone lubricant and the noise disappeared.

JJ

#17 ·
Re: Re: Wind Noise

raleighpilot said:
My wife (the passenger) described the noise as a 'fluttering sound' in a different thread.

On advice from anouther member of Honda-Pilot.Org I lubed the right rear door seal with silicone lubricant and the noise disappeared.

JJ
Thanks raleighpilot, I will give the lube a try.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.