2011 or 2015

Votes: 1 9.1%

Votes: 10 90.9%
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello - looking for advice as we are replacing out 04 Pilot with a Gen 2. Found 2 locally that look promising - A 2011 with 77K for 18K and a 2015 with 99K for 21,500. Both are EXL with sunroof - both do not have Nav.

Which one would you choose? Any specific reason? We only drove the 04 about 10K miles per year.

Also - I am curious I see that the 2010 and 2011 are separated here by category from the 2012 - 2015. I thought the 2010 - 2011 is also a gen 2 . Is there a reason for that?

Thanks so much for the input!

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
1,698 Posts
Reason for recommending the 2015...
Its the last of the 2nd generation Pilots meaning they had all the little bugs worked out. Although the mileage is a little bit higher, there really isn't a whole lot that you'll need to do. Just replace the timing belt and water pump and you'll be good to go.

·
Registered
2011 Pilot EX 2WD
141 Posts
As is always said “buy the seller”.

….meaning check carfax (or equivalent), review and reconstruct vehicle history as best possible with provided maintenance records. Verify by a trusted mechanic.

2011 has low miles - approx 7000 per yr. Good (but not normal) …and possibly a red flag as the vehicle may have been out service for some reason … or just driven to market and church.

Many flood vehicles recycled (non salvage titled) that have made it back on the road.

·
Registered
187 Posts
The reason why they are separated is because Honda made significant changes for the 2012-2015 model year, kind of like what they did with the first generation Ridgeline. Aside from the exterior differences (front and rear bumpers, grill and headlight assembly) they completely re-worked the center stack on the dashboard due to the horrible reviews. The US Pilots are the only ones with the 2012-2015 headlight assembly and center stack. The Pilots that went everywhere else in the world kept everything the same from 2009-2015 except the bumpers and grill. Several features that were optional in 2011 were standard in 2015. For example, unlikely the 2011 has a backup camera but pretty sure the 2015 does.

I agree with Jack Vogt. The 2015 is the last year of the 2nd generation so a lot of bugs were worked out by then.

·
Administrator
2016 CRV Touring AWD, 2005 Pilot RIP.
16,443 Posts
Hello - looking for advice as we are replacing out 04 Pilot with a Gen 2. Found 2 locally that look promising - A 2011 with 77K for 18K and a 2015 with 99K for 21,500. Both are EXL with sunroof - both do not have Nav.

Which one would you choose? Any specific reason? We only drove the 04 about 10K miles per year.

Also - I am curious I see that the 2010 and 2011 are separated here by category from the 2012 - 2015. I thought the 2010 - 2011 is also a gen 2 . Is there a reason for that?

Thanks so much for the input!
I'd go with the 2015 in the knowledge that Honda's engineering constantly refines the product and 2015 was the last year of the second gens. Especially if you are looking at FWD v AWD models. My bias with both is AWD. Unless you can prove the Timing belt has been done, plan on $1200-1400 for that, plugs and other service items. Good negotiating ploy.

As for splitting the two generations on this forum, yes 2012 was the facelift for the second gen, away from the so called USB grille of the 2009-2011. The moderators at that time decided to set up a new section for them. I had nothing to do with it and didn't do it with the third generation. The next new section of this forum will be the fourth generation.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I don't disagree with the advice above. However, when buying a used car service records are tremendously useful. It tells you (a) that the car was maintained; and (b) lets you know what may need to be done. A used car without service records is a bit of a pig in a poke, even with a reasonably good inspection.

·
Registered
2011 Pilot EX 2WD
141 Posts
I don't disagree with the advice above. However, when buying a used car service records are tremendously useful. It tells you (a) that the car was maintained; and (b) lets you know what may need to be done. A used car without service records is a bit of a pig in a poke, even with a reasonably good inspection.
Agreed. ^^^

service records are essential. This current sellers car market is making it easier for side hustle or car flippers to pass off problematic cars.

I say it again do your homework and have a trusted mechanic verify.

Someone wise earlier mentioned “buy the seller”.😁

·
Registered
806 Posts
For those prices I should sell our 13 Touring. Lol

With that said I’d go with the 15 for all the reasons already stated all else being equal except the miles.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I agree with slvrpilot by the way I am new to this forum and I have owned a 2011 pilot since it was new and I have 90,000 miles on mine. I would take them both to your trusted Honda mechanic and which ever one the mechanic determines to be in the best mechanical condition is the one that I would choose.

·
Registered
126 Posts
As is always said “buy the seller”.

….meaning check carfax (or equivalent), review and reconstruct vehicle history as best possible with provided maintenance records. Verify by a trusted mechanic.

2011 has low miles - approx 7000 per yr. Good (but not normal) …and possibly a red flag as the vehicle may have been out service for some reason … or just driven to market and church.

Many flood vehicles recycled (non salvage titled) that have made it back on the road.
Or, the former owner was retired and didn't drive much. I bought my 2021 pilot SE AWD the week before Christmas last year and have not yet hit 5,000 miles on it. Had my first and only oil change at the dealer a week ago Monday. With my 2012 Pilot SE I had the oil change once a year which the dealer and I both felt was adequate. Never got anywhere near the 10,000 mile recommended service miles.

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
We use the Pilot only part of the year, and with Covid even that driving has been pretty sparse. Our now nine year old 2013 Touring has averaged about 6k/year over its life, but in the past four or five has been below 4k/year actual drive miles. Retired white-hairs. It's received religious servicing though. Always stored indoors, half the year under a cover in the climate-stable garage. Looks and drives like new.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts