Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2017 Pilot EX with 6 speed tranny has 64K miles. I have drained and filled twice with DW1 since new. I want to switch to Valvoline now and debating which type to use, Maxlife multivehicle synthetic, or just their regular full synthetic multivehicle ATF. My tranny is behaving just fine as always. Opinions?

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,306 Posts

·
Registered
11,463 Posts
There is only one multi-vehicle product that I know of. Full Synthetic Valvoline MaxLife ATF. As @plplplpl has linked.

·
Registered
11,463 Posts
My tranny is behaving just fine as always. Opinions?
I changed from DW-1 because of the Erratic RPM Gauge Of Death.
And because of the black DW-1 that I removed from my transmission. Going to a full synthetic ATF made a big improvement, but ultimately, the torque converter clutch lock problem I was having did not stop until I disabled the VCM.
MaxLife ATF made for firmer shifts in my 6-speed. In search of a softer shift using full synthetic ATF, I'm currently testing Amalie Universal synthetic. There are others here that are pleased with MaxLife in their 3rd Gen Pilots.
My 5-speeds will always use MaxLife.

Reactions: aggrex and Hondamon

·
Registered
11,463 Posts
I thought since my pilot wouldn't really be considered high mileage at 64K miles, maybe I should just go with the regular synthetic ATF from Valvoline instead of the MaxLife which says its for high mileage vehicles. Try to get a pic of the regular ATF from Valvoline here. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071WKK7J4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_image_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 View attachment 143816
Definitely not for use in our 6-speeds.
It is intresting that it does list this as a replacement for Honda Z1 transmissions.

·
Registered
10,306 Posts
"And the ones that mother gives you
Don't do anything at all."

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Do you say not to use the blue one because the fine print does not mention DW1 as does the red one. The blue one does say for most Hondas.

·
Registered
11,463 Posts
Do you say not to use the blue one because the fine print does not mention DW1 as does the red one. The blue one does say for most Hondas.
Earlier model Hondas used Z1 ATF. The blue Valvoline Import ATF says its it's suitable for use as a replacement for Z1.

·
Registered
10,306 Posts

From your link:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts