Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2012 EX-L 4WD. I'm going to be changing the fluid in the transmission from Valvoline Max Life to AmsOil Signature (Blue Cap) and am planning to install an exterior atf filter since I can't get to the internal one (thanks, Honda).

I recently removed the lower plastic vanity cover to find some parts lost in the engine bay, which revealed color coding on the transmission cooler lines. One has a blue stripe and the other a yellow one.

Anyone know off hand which is the pump out line and which is the return? I'd like to put the filter on the return line ... unless that's not the right one to use? The AmsOil has a lower viscosity and is probably loaded with dispersants, so I expect junk to be coming from the coolers. While I have the system open, is it a good idea to flush the radiator heat exchanger and the cooler up front? And with what cleaner?

·
Registered
111 Posts
I’m curious to see what others have to say about this. I have heard that with Hondas you shouldn’t flush fluids other than I guess the power steering fluid. Just what I’ve heard may be incorrect LOL

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I’m curious to see what others have to say about this. I have heard that with Hondas you shouldn’t flush fluids other than I guess the power steering fluid. Just what I’ve heard may be incorrect LOL
Sounds right to me. I wasn't planning to flush the transmission. Just the heat exchanger at the bottom of the radiator and the cooler out in front of the condenser coil.

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
Anyone know off hand which is the pump out line and which is the return?
During my auxiliary ATF cooler installation I was able to confirm the ATF return line on my 2004 Pilot by checking the temperatures of both lines with the engine running. One line became warm while the other stayed cool initially. Eventually both lines were too hot to handle. The return line on my Pilot connects to the external ATF filter. YMMV

·
Registered
11,410 Posts
2012 EX-L 4WD. I'm going to be changing the fluid in the transmission from Valvoline Max Life to AmsOil Signature (Blue Cap) and am planning to install an exterior atf filter since I can't get to the internal one (thanks, Honda).

I recently removed the lower plastic vanity cover to find some parts lost in the engine bay, which revealed color coding on the transmission cooler lines. One has a blue stripe and the other a yellow one.

Anyone know off hand which is the pump out line and which is the return? I'd like to put the filter on the return line ... unless that's not the right one to use? The AmsOil has a lower viscosity and is probably loaded with dispersants, so I expect junk to be coming from the coolers. While I have the system open, is it a good idea to flush the radiator heat exchanger and the cooler up front? And with what cleaner?

View attachment 145821
IMO, I would not add an additional filter. I've got 260k on a 2012 5-speed Crosstour with just the internal filter with regular drain and fills with Valvoline MaxLife. If you already have MaxLife in the transmission, it's likely already cleaned any old DW-1 residue out already. To change to Amsoil, simply drain and fill 3 time to get above 80%. A 4th would get you to 90%. I would not use any cleaner.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I have a 2014 Pilot Touring with 181,000km on it. Should I continue to use oem or should I change to Valvoline Max Life or something? Thanks

·
Registered
11,410 Posts
I have a 2014 Pilot Touring with 181,000km on it. Should I continue to use oem or should I change to Valvoline Max Life or something? Thanks
My personal choice would be Valvoline MaxLife ATF for any Honda 5-speed transmission. Just from the experience from the many users on this forum is proof enough that it's a wise choice. There is no advantage staying on DW-1.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Great thanks for the info. I just purchased the car and had it replaced at my last oil change with Honda transmission fluid. Next oil change I will switch over to Valvoline Maxlife. When I do the change do I need to do a few drain and fills to get the OEM stuff out? OR is it acceptable to just change it when doing the next 3 or 4 oil changes to work out the old stuff?

·
Registered
11,410 Posts
Great thanks for the info. I just purchased the car and had it replaced at my last oil change with Honda transmission fluid. Next oil change I will switch over to Valvoline Maxlife. When I do the change do I need to do a few drain and fills to get the OEM stuff out? OR is it acceptable to just change it when doing the next 3 or 4 oil changes to work out the old stuff?
I may not be the right person to ask, simply because of my bad experiences on DW-1. I want it all out of my transmission. At a minimum, I'd likely do at least 2 D&Fs. But no, there is no rule.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts