Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I have a shop telling me all three banks of cats need replacing at $2750. Is it reasonable for 3 banks to all go out at the same time? I did get a Check Emissions System code but have no symptoms other than the code.

I have almost always taken my Honda vehicles to the dealer. I know the hourly rate is high but I know the work is done right the first time and is warrantied if I have to return. I paid 11,5K for this pristine vehicle and really don’t have the budget to spend 25% of the vehicle‘s value on one repair.

Thanks y’all!

·
Registered
79 Posts
It would be really odd for all 3 cats to die simultaneously. What happened that lead you to get the quote from the dealer? Was it a check engine light? If so, did they tell you or give you anything that shows what codes came up?

I have used Eastern Catalytic a few times to good results.

·
Administrator
2016 CRV Touring AWD, 2005 Pilot RIP.
16,315 Posts
Its really weird that three fail simultaneously....

Suspect as well.... If the engine is coding, what is the code? Consider looking for another shop, that has your best interest, not theirs in mind.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
It would be really odd for all 3 cats to die simultaneously. What happened that lead you to get the quote from the dealer? Was it a check engine light? If so, did they tell you or give you anything that shows what codes came up?

I have used Eastern Catalytic a few times to good results.
Hi, Thanks so much for replying. I took it to a shop that had done work on it for the used car lot next door. I have not taken it to the Honda dealer yet but feel I should have as has been my practice with an Element and an Odyssey. The code right now is A 156. The codes on their invoice are “P0420 and P0430. Ref to cat efficiency on both banks.” I was told all three needed to be replaced although the invoice for diagnostic fee of $150.
The initial code (don’t remember it now) but I think it was A26 an oil change or tire rotation, the second code came with Check Emission System.

Marion

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Go to a muffler shop and get a second quote. It'll probably be half price. Are u sure its not just an oxygen sensor
Hi, Thank you! I don’t know if it is an oxy sensor or not. I’ll need to find a local muffler shop. I used Midas for the Element and Odyssey two years ago. The charges were over 5K one each vehicle. They offered financing at 98% and 100%. I’ll ask around about a muffler shop.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Its really weird that three fail simultaneously....

Suspect as well.... If the engine is coding, what is the code? Consider looking for another shop, that has your best interest, not theirs in mind.

Hi, and thank you. Glad I’m not the only one that thinks it is odd. I don’t have any shaking or rattling described in other posts.
The first code was A26 (I think), an oil change. The shop lists P0420 and P0430.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Try removing and cleaning them before dropping that kind of money on 3 cats. Throw some berryman chemtool b12 in the engine and try using different gasoline. Costco is top tier and you get 4% back on your Costco credit card if you have one of those. Membership pays for itself with the gas rewards.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Yoshi! I will try the lacquer thinner first. I used to work for the folks who make Klein Strip brand. I hope it works. I don’t have the knowledge or ability to find them never mind take them off. I have a full tank right now but will reply here with the result.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
One more question-Should the lacquer thinner and Berryman products be used together or separately?

·
Registered
11,325 Posts
If you haven't already, disable the VCM. There is a good chance the emission codes will clear after a few thousand miles. I use S-VCM to keep the engine running on all 6 cylinders 100% of the time. This will help stop oil vapors from entering the catalytic converters.
If you have been here for 7 months, you likely have seen the rest of my punch list.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts