Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

Which model of third generation Pilot did your purchase?

• Elite

Votes: 18 29.0%
  • Touring

Votes: 19 30.6%
  • EX-L

Votes: 20 32.3%
  • EX

Votes: 4 6.5%
  • LX

Votes: 1 1.6%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
597 Posts
I am picking up a 2018 EXL in Deep Scarlet Pearl later tonight! We originally wanted Modern steel mettalic with black interior because of the kids but all I see is the same colors over and over again all over the place including the dark grey and when we saw the deep scarlet in the showroom floor that was it!

We wanted a touring but decided to stay with the EXL model with nothing else added on. It has more then enough for us. I will put some pics when I get them!

·
Registered
126 Posts
I purchased the EX-L model.

There are great scenarios for all the trim levels, but in my opinion, the EX-L offers the most bang for the buck. My rationale:

-Leather and a Sunroof (EX may have a sunroof, not sure)
-6 speed transmission with a shift lever instead of the push button 9 speed ZF
-Electric second row seat
-Seating for 8 (won't be used very often, but it allows me to take my lovely bride, both sons and their wives, plus my grandson, to Astros games, the Rodeo, or the Zoo
- 2WD, as I don't need 4WD in Houston

There were some items on the higher trims that I preferred, so I added a few things to my EX-L to get it PERFECT:

-OEM Roof Rails and Cross Bars
-Window Visors
-OEM All weather floor mats
-Big time Audio upgrade (but wanted it all out of sight and not a big box sub taking my cargo space)
-Speakers: Morel Maximo Speakers/Tweeters front and back
-Amp: Rockford Fosgate PBR 300 x 4 Amp. It's awesome, very small, fits under driver seat
-Sub: Memphis Audio Powered 8" underseat; fits well under passenger seat and sounds awesome
-Channel Converter: AudioControl LS7i, with remote bass control
-6" driver replacement arm to replace the toothpick arm rest (it's on order)

Not sure I will do anything else, possibly the illuminated door sill trim. I also spend a good deal on detailing supplies to keep my black beauty "Lucille" looking good.

Thanks for asking!

·
Registered
103 Posts
The EX-L works for a couple in their 70's. Is the wifes car. After 2 CRV's she wanted something bigger. The 3rd seat will never be used. The CRV is a great socker mom car that never leaves town or only takes short trips.

But the Pilot is a great road car and is a great intown car also. The stuff on the models above a EX-L is just fluff and for us serves no purpose. Leather is leather. A full back seat is needed for her bingo friends. So no back buckets. The 9 speed is just not needed with the power you have with the V6 engine. The 6sp will do close to 0-60 in 6 seconds. Plus the shifter is easier to work and after 50+ years of driving things with a lever, a knob is just wrong.

·
Registered
72 Posts
2016 EX-L AWD. Would have considered the Touring (but not Elite because we did not want the captain chairs) if it weren't for the new transmission that hadn't really been tested yet at the time.

Added the following:

Roof rails
OEM running boards
Splash guards
Chrome door trim
Chrome tailgate trim
Chrome front bumper trim
Front lower trim
Rear lower trim
AVS in-channel window visors
Weathertech floor liners
OEM 2nd row seat covers (must have for the kids!)
Folding cargo tray

·
Registered
36 Posts
I bought an 18 EX-L in Lunar Sliver a few weeks ago. We are moving closer to my wife's family and need the 3rd row occasionally. I wanted something basic without all the driving nannies, and after reading about the 9 speed for several years, decided it was not worth the worry. I just bought the Weathertech floor liners are will be installing a tow hitch from ETrailer.com to carry my bikes on a platform rack.

·
Registered
639 Posts
I purchased the EX-L model.

There are great scenarios for all the trim levels, but in my opinion, the EX-L offers the most bang for the buck. My rationale:

-Leather and a Sunroof (EX may have a sunroof, not sure)
-6 speed transmission with a shift lever instead of the push button 9 speed ZF
-Electric second row seat
-Seating for 8 (won't be used very often, but it allows me to take my lovely bride, both sons and their wives, plus my grandson, to Astros games, the Rodeo, or the Zoo
- 2WD, as I don't need 4WD in Houston

There were some items on the higher trims that I preferred, so I added a few things to my EX-L to get it PERFECT:

-OEM Roof Rails and Cross Bars
-Window Visors
-OEM All weather floor mats
-Big time Audio upgrade (but wanted it all out of sight and not a big box sub taking my cargo space)
-Speakers: Morel Maximo Speakers/Tweeters front and back
-Amp: Rockford Fosgate PBR 300 x 4 Amp. It's awesome, very small, fits under driver seat
-Sub: Memphis Audio Powered 8" underseat; fits well under passenger seat and sounds awesome
-Channel Converter: AudioControl LS7i, with remote bass control
-6" driver replacement arm to replace the toothpick arm rest (it's on order)

Not sure I will do anything else, possibly the illuminated door sill trim. I also spend a good deal on detailing supplies to keep my black beauty "Lucille" looking good.

Thanks for asking!
Can you make a thread about the audio system?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
159 Posts
We bought the Touring, kind of regret it since we suffer with the 9-speed we should have just gotten the Elite, that way we would have at least gotten a heated steering wheel and BSI.

·
Registered
65 Posts
In Canada, we do not have an Elite model. The highest model is Touring. However, from what I can gather, the Canadian Touring model is the equivalent of the US Elite model.

Our Pilot was purchased for my Wife and is our primary family vehicle. We did bounce around between the Canadian EXL-Res model and the Touring, but finally decided on the Touring. The difference in cost was well worth the extras you get with it.

The Pilot suits our needs very well. More than enough room for our family of four and is great when we take out our parents as my Dad no longer drives. Absolutely love it and in my opinion, it is the best 3 row SUV in its class. The fact that the 3rd row actually usable by adults was enough to convince me to purchase the Pilot.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I have always wondered why Honda can’t keep the types of models the same for their vehicles. For 2018, Canadian Pilot models come in five different trims, which are different than their US counterparts.

LX
EX
EXL-Nav
EXL-Res
Touring

·
Registered
139 Posts
Just the EX for me. Everything I need and nothing I don't.

EX 2017
FWD
OEM Trailer hitch (installed myself)
Weathertech floor mats
16500 miles so far.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I am the proud owner of an '17 LX AWD with only around 4000 miles thus far. My goal is to put at least 200,000 miles on it. I love the actual control knobs on my simplified stereo, but am missing the outdoor temperature readout on the display that is standard on all other trim levels. I DIY installed a OEM trailer hitch, trailer wiring harness, and an ATF cooler to boost my towing capacity to 5000 lbs. Next on my purchase list are a fumoto oil change valve, OEM all-weather floor mats, a folding cargo tray, and a OEM 2nd row seat cover.

·
Registered
7 Posts
2017 Elite in modern steel with black leather interior, window tint, floor & cargo mats, body side moldings, splash guards, and a 5000# trailer hitch w/transmission cooler. So far a great driving experience but sure has a lot of bells and whistles.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Apparently I fall into the very small minority of EX and lower owners, according to the poll (just 3 of us voted that way so far). For me, the EX offered everything I needed and more. It's got the sunroof, auto start, Honda Sensing, AWD, etc. Sure a leather steering wheel and leather trim would have been nice, but I couldn't justify the extra 1000's of dollars for leather trim and a power liftgate. Honda apparently realized that too and now offers a heated steering wheel and either NAV or RES at the next trim level on 2018's in Canada. It was EX-L, then EX-L Nav or RES before I believe.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I am surprised there are so many elites out there... I rarely see them on the road LOL.

Also I have been seeing Touring but no AWD? Is this an option?

-Ken

·
Registered
2 Posts
EX AWD with Sensing. One of only two on the island of Oahu and does not seem to be a common spec in general.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts