Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the two Pilots identified above and both are well maintained. Neither has a factory "towing package".

I am considering putting a hitch and lights on one of them for pulling a small utility trailer or a small pop-up camper. Which would be the better one to use for occasional towing up to 3000 lbs?

Should I also put on a tranny cooler?

Thanks!

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
2,939 Posts
You will need both a tranny cooler and a power steering cooler. Check the area of the frame, where the hitch will mount, for rust.
Also check the Towing forum on this site.

·
Administrator
15,511 Posts
FWD Pilot have a tough time due to the weight transfer away from the front wheels. The FWD also had a lower capacity regardless of coolers.
The AWD Pilot is older but mileage unknown. All other factors being equal I would go with the AWD.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I have the two Pilots identified above and both are well maintained. Neither has a factory "towing package".

I am considering putting a hitch and lights on one of them for pulling a small utility trailer or a small pop-up camper. Which would be the better one to use for occasional towing up to 3000 lbs?

Should I also put on a tranny cooler?

Thanks!
If your in the rust belt, inspect the rear subframe mount location on the body for rust - particularly on the early Pilot.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You will need both a tranny cooler and a power steering cooler. Check the area of the frame, where the hitch will mount, for rust.
Also check the Towing forum on this site.
When I look through the grill, I see the radiator in the back, the AC condenser in front of it, and a long U-shaped tube with no fins. Is that a tranny cooler?

Thanks!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts