Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 2017 Honda Pilot and need to get the hitch installed. My need for the hitch is primarily to install a 4 bike rack. Now that I am getting a hitch installed, I would want to get one which can use the full towing capacity of my car, just in case I want to hook up a RV or something in the future.

I am considering getting one installed from uhaul, but I see two options there - model 75353($149) vs CQT75225($179). Are there any recommendations here in the community, which one should I go for?

·
Registered
9,507 Posts
Nothing wrong with the Uhaul set up.
Some prefer the more expensive OEM for appearance.
Don't forget the transmission fluid cooler if you actually want to tow.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,298 Posts
Personally I would go with the OEM in this case. Most of the aftermarket hitches seem to go under the bumper instead of being integrated into the bumper as the OEM does. The OEM would give a bit more ground clearance. If you can find a third party hitch that integrates into the bumper than that would be another matter.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Personally I would go with the OEM in this case. Most of the aftermarket hitches seem to go under the bumper instead of being integrated into the bumper as the OEM does. The OEM would give a bit more ground clearance. If you can find a third party hitch that integrates into the bumper than that would be another matter.
X2 on this one i have had both the OEM and the one you get from U haul .. U haul does a fairly decent job on the install BUT they don't care what they need to chop into to get the hitch installed. I ended up going with the OEM since i also needed to purchase the trans cooler from them anyways . Sometimes you can get a package deal for both at Honda.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh, I did not realize that there will be a difference in ground clearance! Thanks.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nothing wrong with the Uhaul set up.
Some prefer the more expensive OEM for appearance.
Don't forget the transmission fluid cooler if you actually want to tow.
Ah, I did not know about the cooler thing. Even though I will not need it right away, but this is good to know.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just got quotes... uhaul $210 vs honda oem $540 (hitch 2" only, not including ball socket, lock, electrical wiring). This is fyi, if anybody else was looking for price comparison.

·
Registered
9,507 Posts
Just got quotes... uhaul $210 vs honda oem $540 (hitch 2" only, not including ball socket, lock, electrical wiring). This is fyi, if anybody else was looking for price comparison.
I'd call different dealerships. Some will give 20-30% off. Especially if they have online parts dept sales.

Reactions: saurabhk

·
Premium Member
376 Posts
Hitch isn't hard to self-install. It's not too bad price-wise when ordering from one of the online Honda dealers like Bernardi or College Hills.

There are lots of other threads on this topic and some YouTube install videos.

Reactions: Daltongang

·
Registered
9,507 Posts
This dealership is giving about 25 or 30% off. It ships from Pharr, Texas.
#1 in the parts diagram.
Trailer Hitch (08L92-TG7-100)
If I pick it up, I save the shipping charge.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I got the OEM Honda one from Honda Parts Guys online. They seem to pull from a Honda dealer in CA, maybe because I am in Vegas but it was oem and only $250 right now, I think I paid $300-320 shipped in March or so. Came with the bumper trim too. It is 6 bolts and easy to install, I did not even remove the spare tire but it might have made the install a pinch easier.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I just got my OEM trailer hitch from college hills Honda. $270 plus shipping.
also got the trailer harness $169 and the ATF cooler kit for $144.
now, in theory you only need the Cooler if you are planing to tow above 3500lbs.
the cooler will give it a 5000 lbs tow rating.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Went the OEM route and ordered from BKHonda. IIRC total for both the hitch and the harness was under $400. Did the install myself, no experience, just watched a couple YouTube videos. I recommend giving it a try yourself. If you get stuck, you can always pay someone to do it.

The hitch install is pretty straightforward. Remove a panel from the bumper, put the new panel on, screw in the 6 bolts for the hitch.
The harness was annoying to install. There was at one connector that was taped up and difficult to get loose.

·
Registered
2017 Honda Pilot EX-L (Taffeta White)
12 Posts
I just did this to my 17 pilot yesterday. I got the OEM hitch from Honda parts now dot com, and installed it myself. It was about 290 with shipping.

·
Registered
2019 Pilot EX-L AWD, 265-60-18 Defender LTX M/S
523 Posts
ATF cooler kit for $144.
now, in theory you only need the Cooler if you are planing to tow above 3500lbs.
OP has a Touring so needs the cooler for 9 speed tranny. Doesn't list if AWD or FWD. 5,000k only with AWD and cooler.

In theory only needed if planning to tow more. In reality the Fluid (at least the DW-1 in 6 speed) gets burnt up and dirty with just family trips and a couple short lighter weight tows. I haven't seen many posts on the fluid for 9 speed how it holds up but multiple discussions with the tranny temperature and just driving around town. If you like the truck and plan to keep, tranny cooler is probabaly a good investment.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I installed this Curt class 3 hitch on my 2020 pilot.

CURT 13146 Class 3 Trailer Hitch, 2-Inch Receiver, Select Honda Pilot, Acura MDX https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00F685J2U/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_C2FoFbYC695DS

Installed it myself but would highly recommend getting a second pair of hands. The sucker was heavy.

Just used it this weekend to take two MTB to Myrtle Beach. It’s a beast of a trail hitch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have 2017 Honda Pilot and need to get the hitch installed. My need for the hitch is primarily to install a 4 bike rack. Now that I am getting a hitch installed, I would want to get one which can use the full towing capacity of my car, just in case I want to hook up a RV or something in the future.

I am considering getting one installed from uhaul, but I see two options there - model 75353($149) vs CQT75225($179). Are there any recommendations here in the community, which one should I go for?
I went with the OEM myself due to ground clearance, just getting out of my driveway, as my under the bumper Kia Sorento constantly scraped it if was more than just me in it.

I purchased the OEM (all) receiver hitch, wiring harness, and the handsfree sensor for just about $560 and spent a total of 2hr and 20 minutes on everything. Never having installed one before, and going with only YouTube assistance which I paused and replayed from my phone, as needed during install process.

Only thing I did was to back the car partially into my garage to where the rear tires got over the garage floor jump and blocked the garage door sensor. This gave me an extra 1” clearance, and more importantly, kept me out of the sun while I worked.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I just got my OEM trailer hitch from college hills Honda. $270 plus shipping.
also got the trailer harness $169 and the ATF cooler kit for $144.
Is the ATF kit pricing for 6 or 9 speed? I have 9 speed and looking for recommendations.

·
Registered
960 Posts
If you want to have the option for full 5000 lb. towing capacity (if you have AWD), then get a Class 3 hitch and install a transmission cooler. I bought a Curt Class 3 hitch on Amazon for $180 with free Prime shipping. Excellent quality and fit. The standard dealership hitch is usually only rated to tow 3500 lbs. I had the dealer install a Honda cooler, because they give me a lifetime power train warranty if I keep everything to Honda spec.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,298 Posts
The Standard Honda OEM hitch is a Class 3 hitch. It comes with a 3500 lb label standard because you do not get the ATF cooler with the hitch kit.

The ATF cooler allows you to tow up to 5000 lbs and the cooler kit comes with the 5000 lb label to install with the cooler.

Honda does sell some Class II hitches for vehicles not capable of exceeding 3500 lbs, including the 2WD Pilots etc.

The advantage to me of the Honda hitch is that it mounts higher to the body than most aftermarket hitches. Less likely to have tongue drag with the Honda hitch.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts