Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Front hubs need to be replaced at 48K miles. The OEM are over $160 each and the MOOG or TIMKEN are about $60 each. Thats a significant savings and those brands are known for their quality. Is there any concerns with using anything other than Honda parts? I have read there is a potential issue with wheel sensors if you don't use Honda. Thanks

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Yup aftermarket parts dont last long on our pilots like OEMS do.. sometimes you do get good quality parts like Timken or NDK they are very close to oem specs some things do last , but like others here I'm coming up to 250k so we must be doing something right! :) Welcome to the forums btw !

Reactions: Daltongang

·
Registered
388 Posts
Moogs a good brand and probably has a lifetime warranty. I've changed several hubs out on various vehicles and never had a problem with wheel sensors

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies. Given the factory hubs only lasted 48K miles I think I may go with the aftermarket. Can replace with aftermarket 3 times for nearly the same price as one.

Does anyone know what bearing Honda uses in the hubs? Cant imagine they are producing their own.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Theres probably a stamp on the hub somewhere. I think gkn makes/made their CV axles. Just checked their website and looks like they make hubs also.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
If I'm going aftermarket for bearings I always stay with timken .. never had issues with them in my GM trucks .. I heard a while back Honda had issues with the bearings.. ? could be wrong on that . Meant to ask How did you find out you had a bad bearing ? reason why i'm asking is my 2015 i'm coming up to 99k so maybe this is something i should look out for?

·
Registered
651 Posts
I'd go with Timken. I used their bearing on another Honda and it had the same NTN stamp as the OE part.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The way I diagnosed the bearings is there was ALOT of tire noise at high speed. Initially, I thought tires, but then after we replaced the tires and had an alignment, the noise has not changed. Now there is a bearing noise from the front end during turning. Mechanic friend of ours conveyed it sounded just like bearings.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks for the replies. Given the factory hubs only lasted 48K miles I think I may go with the aftermarket. Can replace with aftermarket 3 times for nearly the same price as one.

Does anyone know what bearing Honda uses in the hubs? Cant imagine they are producing their own.
I just saw this post and had to weigh in on the hub replacement issue. I have had several Pilots and I drive about 50K miles a year. I am driving 14 Pilot now and last year replaced grinding front OEM hubs at 160,000 miles. I went with Moog hubs and about 9k miles in they started grinding on one side than the other, I got warranty replacements and the same thing happened. . I tried the Timken and had the same problem. So, I went ahead and bought the OEM hubs and really looked them over compared to the aftermarket hubs before installing. What I noticed is the OEM hubs are much heavier and the bearings are much more substantial. I would go wit the OEM hubs. Just my two cents. Btw, I have had no more problems.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
mdturp i appreciate the feedback on your experiences. havent made my decision yet as I am researching to see who makes the OEM bearings.

·
Registered
2004 Pilot EX-L
501 Posts
I replaced all 4 Timken hubs on my Subaru every year for 3 years in a row until I gave up on them and went with TRQ hubs, and they lasted 3 years till the car died. All the other reviews for those Timken hubs had similar short lifespans, so I won't use that brand again. Maybe the design for Timken hubs on a Honda are better and will last longer, but the Timken subaru option was crap.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts