Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I only seem to hear noises when transmission is in drive and I push or release the accelerator. These noises can also be duplicated when in drive and foot is on brake pedal. Pushing the gas pedal produces squeak kind of noise in the engine compartment, but when releasing it I can hear a knock or clunk type noise.

Which is more likely to make noise in these circumstances?

·
Registered
310 Posts
If one is…there’s a good possibility all of them are going bad. I’d recommend starting with the easiest. The passenger side engine mount takes no time to swap out.

The other two I’d recommend doing that are quick are the transmission mounts. They can be accessed from the driver side wheel well. There’s two on that side, front and rear of the transmission.

The next hardest is the front mount followed by the rear. The rear is quite difficult given the limited visibility and access.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
At this point I have replaced them all within the last few months. I did the passenger first, then the front, then the 2 at transmission and paid my mechanic to do the rear. Also, just did the sway bar bushings. The links were done a couple years ago and seem solid from what I can tell. I'm wondering if one of the engine mounts has failed already since the only one that is OEM is the front one.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I doubt it. 2new cv axles are in it right now. And the noise I am trying to figure out was around before and after replacing them.
OEM Honda or aftermarket?

Aftermarket can and are commonly junk.

Possibly go through your suspension and check/retorque everything.

I’m not a fan of aftermarket rubber mounts. I’ve had poor luck with them.

I just recently replaced the transmission mounts with OEM as I found the aftermarket one on the front was already starting to squish significantly more than it should. Comparing it to the OEM was a noticeable difference. The rear isn’t as big of an issue and doesn’t look to take as much load.

Surprisingly the front and passenger side mounts have been holding up quite well.

The other thing I would check is struts. I had a driver front one a few years back make quite the racket.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
The axles are currently aftermarket. I have a whole other thread on that. The OEM Honda are on national back order. But again this exact same noise was there before and after the axles were replaced. I have ordered some but not sure when or if I will get them.

Struts and shocks recently replaced as well with KYB. I thought they might be the source of the noise to but no luck. Same noise is there.

I was pretty thorough on torqueing and would be surprised if this was it.

I can duplicate the squeak and clunk whether the vehicle is moving or sitting still. All I have to do is put transmission in drive and foot on the brake. Then press and release the gas pedal. This is why I think it is engine mount related. I just wish I could pinpoint which one.

I guess I could begin replacing the non-oem mounts with oem to see if that is the problem.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts