Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The great news is my pilot is coming this week. Now I need to finally decide which DVD course I'm going to take. I'm getting the NAVI model and wanted the added capacity of a CD changer. Here are my options:

Solution 1 - Buy the Honda (Alpine) changer and install it under the seat. This would mean I would need to install the DVD player in the ceiling. With Dano's help I've identified the Audiovox model VOD806 that will let me do this.
Cost - Around $1,500 installedfor DVD and around $500 for the CD changer installed. Total $2,000.
Q - I'm not sure how the audio portion of the DVD player gets connected. Is it output to all speakers or just headphones?

Solution2 - Buy the Alpine DHA-S680 DVD changer and get any screen I want. DVD changer plays both DVD's and CD's and I have one less unit to worry about and a thinner install in my ceiling.
Cost - Changer, 8" screen and installation around $2,000.
Q- I'm guessing the changer will connect thru car speakers for audio. Will I loss wireless headphones options and most importantly will it work with the Honda Pilot head unit?

What would you do? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. If anybody has actual experience with any of the above products that would be great too!

·
Registered
191 Posts
Wow, sounds like you've done your homework, deanster!!

I have an EX model and have not even thought about installing anything like this (yet ;) ), But if I were you, I would go with option #2. Since cost is about the same for both, I think the 2nd option might be the "cleaner" install of the two. As far as answering your question, I could not tell you. But I bet someone else here could! It's like having your own Honda Helpdesk!!!

Hope you receive your Pilot soon! And I'm sure you'll LOVE it!

Scott

·
Registered
262 Posts
I am thinking of installing a dvd player under
the seat, the type that can play the MP3s.
That way I don't need a changer -- I can dump
say my favorite 50 albums on 5 MP3 disks, and
be happy.

The only problem with this -- how do you navigate
the mp3 disks w/o a display.
One solution would be to go with Pioneer installation, and use a controller to connect
the DVD player to the Navi monitor as well as
the overhead. This is expensive however.
I wonder if there are mp3/DVD players that have
some kind of 2 way remotes with a display.

Anyway, have not done my homework yet, just
some ideas. Anyone has gone this route?

·
Registered
65 Posts
My DVD route

If I were to get a DVD system for any vehicle, I would opt for the portable DVD players like http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...lectronics&n=507846&vi=pictures#more-pictures (which has a bigger screen than the factory RES).

And I can mount it with a http://www.bestbuy.com/detail.asp?e=11164151&m=1&cat=798&scat=1885

This would enable me to utilize the DVD player outside of the vehicle, say in a hotel room.

It's nice to have a fixed system in the vehicle, but a portable system also gives me the flexibility of getting rid of the vehicle, i.e., trade-in, etc. without sustaining a loss on installing an aftermarket DVD system. It's hard to recoup investment costs on accessories installed in vehicles.

The only issue I would have is sound integration with the factory system. Most likely, I would have to use a cassette-thingy adapter but that's no biggy.

Again, this would be my choice and don't really expect others to agree. But, I don't really see the need to spend $1500 to $2000, when I can achieve the same effect for around $1000 or less. :)

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
here's what I'm going for

After speaking to my installer here's my decision and reasons for it.

I'm going with the audiovox VOD806 DVD entertainment system and the honda CD player. The audiovox unit will cost me $1425 installed it comes with the shroud around the unit, 2 wireless headphones, FM modulator and the remote. It can play either thru the headphones or thru the head unit. The installer is going to cover the shroud in the same material and color as the headliner so I will have very little plastic showing. The audiovox can play MP3 cd's, has a built in TV tuner 8" screen and aux plugs for games. here's a link for more info .The Alpine unit would have actually cost me more and offered less. No MP3 playback on the DVD changerand no room to connect aux games and no tv tuner.

Will post pictures of the install when done (all this and my car is still in transit!). Also getting my tires switched to the CT's for $125 each including mouting and balancing minus $50 each for the Goodyears from the same place. If anybody lives in or near nassau county, NY and is interested in either the tire switch or the DVD setup feel free to send me a PM for additional info. Here's what the audiovox unit looks like

Attachments

·
Registered
262 Posts
Re: here's what I'm going for

deanster2u said:

I'm going with the audiovox VOD806 DVD entertainment system and the honda CD player.
3 questions:
  1. How are you handling the sound from the DVD. From what I am hearing, the FM modulators suck big time. Does you installer have any ideas
  2. How are you planing to navigate the mp3 disks -- wouldn't you have to look a the monitor that is BEHIND you?
  3. Finally, where are you physically going to place the dvd player and the changer unit.
    [/list=1]
    Thanks,
    K

·
Registered
65 Posts
Boston Pilot said:
But the Amazon reviews all tell that the sound is terrible. :eek: Can it be integrated into the Pilot's sound system?:confused:
I think that the only way to integrate this portable DVD player is through a cassette adapter like http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...89547-4747854?v=glance&s=electronics&n=172627. The cassette adapter should be no worse than an FM modulator in terms of sound quality. Or, one can always use wireless headphones, the Toshiba unit has 2 sets of headphone outlets.

That is, unless there was a way to use the RCA audio cables (or coaxial digital cable) with the factory system. However, I don't think the audio cables can be used. But even with the cassette adapter, I think I would be OK with it. I'll be driving, not watching. And I doubt my kids would have a problem with sound quality -- as long as they can decently hear what they're watching, it should be great. :)

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Re: Re: here's what I'm going for

kruzo said:

3 questions:
  1. How are you handling the sound from the DVD. From what I am hearing, the FM modulators suck big time. Does you installer have any ideas
  2. How are you planing to navigate the mp3 disks -- wouldn't you have to look a the monitor that is BEHIND you?
  3. Finally, where are you physically going to place the dvd player and the changer unit.
    [/list=1]
    Thanks,
    K

1. 3 Answers:

* Sound from DVD will be either from FM modulator and/or wireless headphones. Modulator is not greatest sound but acceptable especially for movies

* MP3 disks will have to be changed either prior to depature or at stop lights. Not best solution but I don't really do a lot of MP3. My kids do and they're back there already.

* The beauty of this Audiovox unit is that the player is integrated with the screen. It sits on the roof in one neat packacke and doesn't eat up any additional space.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Thanks for your answers.
My biggest problem -- the mp3 navigation (not disk insertion, but
searching for songs), considering that one disk contains about
10 albums, a little hard to do this blindly...

Please comment on the quality of the FM modulator sound
once you have your install.

Also, does anyone know of a DVD/MP3 player that has
a separate (wired) controller. Clarion has one, but it does
not play MP3s -- just DVD's. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
kruzo said:
Thanks for your answers.
My biggest problem -- the mp3 navigation (not disk insertion, but
searching for songs), considering that one disk contains about
10 albums, a little hard to do this blindly...

Please comment on the quality of the FM modulator sound
once you have your install.

Also, does anyone know of a DVD/MP3 player that has
a separate (wired) controller. Clarion has one, but it does
not play MP3s -- just DVD's. Thanks in advance.
Kruzo that's any easy one. Unit comes with a wireless remote. Song navigation is not an issue. Bounce the IR off your front heat shielded windshield and you should be fine. Will test after install and let you know. Now if I just had a damn pilot to put it in! Any day now for delivery I'm told. Considering camping out at the dealer's lot

·
Registered
262 Posts
deanster2u said:

Kruzo that's any easy one. Unit comes with a wireless remote. Song navigation is not an issue. Bounce the IR off your front heat shielded windshield and you should be fine.
Right, but how do you know the track number
or album number (or title) w/o asking the
passenger in the rear seat?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Here's my DVD install

The install went great. Wireless heaphones are good. The FM modulator is definitely not audiophile quality but acceptable to me for MP3 and perfect for DVD's. If anyone lives in nyc/long island area and needs a sound or video upgrade go see Lou at Best Tire & Audio. Tell him Dino sent you and he'll do you right!

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Does anyone know whether installation of an after-market DVD system has any effect on the Honda warranty for the electrical system? I am negotiating with a dealer right now for a Pilot EX-L-Navi, which was not my first choice. I wanted the factory-installed DVD system, but availability in our area appears very limited. I am somewhat concerned that the warranty will be affected if I take the Navi and have an after-market DVD system installed.

A related question: do the ceiling-mounted DVD units affect rear visibility to any material degree? I talked to an after-market installer today who recommended headrest-mounted units so as not to suffer any impact on rear visibility. Any truth to this? And if I go with a headrest mounted system, where is the head unit for the system? Does it go under the seat, or what?

Finally, is the Navigation system just a needless doo-dad without any real functionality in the day-to-day world?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I found one post that indicated that the Honda warranty is unaffected EXCEPT if the after-market item or its installation somehow "caused" the part covered by the warranty to fail. Unfortunately, when it comes to electrical systems, I could see Honda claiming that the installation of the after-market item somehow caused a voltage surge or short circuit that wrecked the warranty item. (In other words, the "chain of causation" in an electrical system is a lot less clear than in mechanical systems.) But I guess that is a problem that I would need to deal with for any after-market electronic accessory.

However, I didn't find anything to shed light on the other questions (rear visibility impact of the ceiling-drop-down DVD system vs. headrest mounted, and whether the Navigation system is a doo-dad that is unlikely to be of any use in the day-to-day, drive-around-the-suburb, big-trip-once-a-year kind of driving we do. Anybody want to respond?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I can tell you that the 8" drop down screen on my install partially blocks the rearview mirror but is still usable. To me it's not a big deal. I had driven trucks for many years that had no rearview mirror. Its the least important mirror. Your side mirrors is what you really use to drive and change lanes. Also headrest monitors won't benefit your 3rd row occupants.

On the NAVI...
I would never buy another car without one. Its uses are inumerable to list here. I think they should be a standard piece of equipment in every car.

·
Registered
180 Posts
On a previous post, I stated....

These Overhead LCD do come in various sizes all the way up to 13". Be aware that these bigger screens will block the drivers rear view mirror. Also having a 13" screen right in your passengers face might become unpleasant for them after awhile. So size does matter and in this case the bigger the better might not be true.

My unit does not interfere with my view from the rearview mirror at all. My guess is that most 6-8" lcd dropdowns will also not block or may only partially block the view from the mirror. This is something to consider when researching and purchasing the system.

Check this thread for a detailed description of my system and pics

http://www.honda-pilot.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1125

·
Registered
262 Posts
Re: here's what I'm going for

deanster2u said:

I'm going with the audiovox VOD806 DVD entertainment system and the honda CD player. The audiovox unit will cost me $1425 installed it comes with the shroud around the unit, 2 wireless headphones, FM modulator and the remote.
Wheather I like this unit or not, you got a
great deal on it. I was quoted 2100 buck for
the same install here in Boston.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts