Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a Honda guy, my daughter is inheriting my '99 CRV, my wife drives and loves her '96 Odyssey(paid for and still looks and runs great) and I was all but ready to get a Pilot. Maybe I'm researching this too much. Here's my situation:

1) Don't really need AWD
2) Really do want the 3rd row seat
3) Hate to not have the fully reclining 2nd row for long trips
4) Kids are old enough that I don't need a mini-van
5) Really want a 6 cylinder

Honda's best answer for me (speaking practically) is the Odyssey!
Better gas mileage, less expensive than the Pilot, but dang I don't want to buy another van.

Anybody have suggestions for a vehicle with 3 rows of seats, preferably with buckets in the front and middle? The Chrysler Pacifica is the only thing that I've seen pictures of. I owned two Caravans prior to coming to my senses and owning nothing but Hondas since. So I'm wary of Chrysler products, especially a start-up year model.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Feel your pain

With four kids, we have to have the third row. Actually, we decided both cars should, hence the Pilot and Odyssey.

Others to 3-row, 6 cyl.'s to consider:

Volvo XC90
Acura MDX
Ford Explorer
Lincoln Aviator
Mercury Mountaineer
Chevy(GMC) Trailblazer Ext
Buick Rendezvous
Mitusbishi Endeavor

I think the Pilot is still the best value for the money which explains it's first in class status.

Good luck!

·
Registered
9,190 Posts
Also add the Dodge Durango to that list -- it has a (really tight) 3rd row and also comes in a V-6... granted, you're weary about Chrysler products, but the Durango has been around for quite a few years, now. You can also get it in the 2-WD version. I don't recall if the 2nd row seats recline or not (I'm thinking that they don't).

P.S. The Durango doesn't have buckets in the middle... :28:

Attachments

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the responses. I can't see where the Endeavor has a third seat.

·
Registered
7,953 Posts
the land rover discovery has two (small)seats behind second row .....

Attachments

·
Registered
164 Posts
cat14 said:
It must be an option cause the one I saw didn't have it.

Chrysler is also coming out with the Pasifica which is between a SUV and station wagon. We've had two Chrysler's in the past and we liked the looks and comfort but I was always repairing something on them:3:

·
Registered
138 Posts
Hey cat14 - What about the Honda Element?! It's in the Honda family. It's not a minivan. It has 2nd row bucket seats that fold flat. It has 3rd row seats. You don't have to get the AWD model. Your kids will probably like the "cool" factor. The only criteria that it doesn't fit is it doesn't come w/ a V6. I haven't driven one but I hear the 4 has some get-up-and-go in it.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Rainbowslim said:
Hey cat14 - What about the Honda Element?! It's in the Honda family. It's not a minivan. It has 2nd row bucket seats that fold flat. It has 3rd row seats.
No, it doesn't. It's only a 4-seater.

·
Registered
62 Posts
cat14 said:
cat14,
You are right -- the Endeavor only has total seating for 5 passengers.
See this link at Edmunds on the 2004 Endeavor. I can only tell you from previous experience (with a Montero Sport), the Pilot will win hands down in ride comfort, gas mileage, better 4WD system, etc. :) I'm sure Mitsubishi have made some improvements with the new Endeavor over the older Montero Sport, but I can not believe that it would be that significant. :eek: The only plus for sure with Mitsu. is the Infinity premium stereo system. Honda can't touch that -- but hey, upgrading is always possible!

PS. The full-size Mitsubishi Montero has three rows, but the Pilot is still the winner IMHO. Good luck on your decision.

·
Registered
900 Posts
cat14 said:
I'm a Honda guy, my daughter is inheriting my '99 CRV, my wife drives and loves her '96 Odyssey(paid for and still looks and runs great) and I was all but ready to get a Pilot.
The Pilot still sounds like the best best for you.
You'll LOVE it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts