Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well after a lot of thought and research my wife and I have decided to get a Pilot when she gets pregnant (hopefully soon ;) ). I am not sure which of our 2 cars I should trade-in or sell when we get the pilot. Please help me decide.

Car 1: 1998 Honda Civic 4 door sedan with 5 speed manual transmission. approximately 47,000 miles on the odometer and never a problem. This car gets me 31 mpg going to work and back (mostly freeway). according to kbb.com we could get roughly 7k in trade-in.

Car 2: 2000 Subaru Legacy L 4 door sedan with 4 speed automatic transmission. Approximately 47,000 miles and also never had any problems. The subaru gets less gas mileage due to the AWD but I am not sure how much less. kbb.com gives this car $9500 for trade-in.

which car would you trade in and why?

TIA, BP

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
I'd say Civic

I just looked these cars up in Consumer Reports, and the Legacy's legacy isn't as great as the Honda's. I'd stick with the Civic, seeing as I have one and it's been a perfect car in every way (currently flawless at 173K)
It's great in the snow, but I'm sure not as good as the legacy. But then you'll have the Pilot's incredible AWD system for that incase you head for the mountains.
2 Hondas in the driveway is a good feeling :)
Of course I'm biased
:p

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the quick response 74pilotmom. I am starting to lean that way especially since I will have no need for the AWD on the Subaru with the Pilot, we live in California. I can't believe I haven't looked at CR yet since I always go there first so I will check that out. Thanks for the advice and I welcome other opinions as well.

·
Registered
602 Posts
I assume your wife can drive a 5-speed. I would take the Subaru to Carmax and sell it to them. From what I've heard, they will typically give you more for your car, especially low mileage like yours, than will a dealership on a trade in. The Civic would complement the Pilot nicely and is as reliable as they get.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
actually the civic is her car to begin with, and she will drive the Pilot anyway. The Subaru is mine. What is Carmax? I have never heard of them. If you have any more information or a link would you mind posting.

·
Premium Member
6,729 Posts
A couple items. I would guess you will strike a better "deal" trading a Honda in on a Honda than another (Subaru). Since the Sub is "your" car, I would think that you would want to keep driving it since you "know" the vehicle best (and it is 2 years newer). The AWD is ALWAYS nice to have (I'm an ex Subaru owner - actually had several of them).

Either car is bullet-proof. Lots of older Civics running around with 200K plus miles and the same can be said for Subaru.

Good luck!

:)

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone for the replies and information. I think I will be trading in Subaru. Unfortunately it may be a while and I already can't wait to get the new Pilot, even if the wife will be driving it. :1pat:

·
Registered
305 Posts
You will do much better on either car if you sell it yourself. Both are fairly desirable (although I'm not sure of the market for AWD where you live).

We traded in a Forester for the Pilot. The one thing I will say about Subaru vs. a Civic is that the Subaru will cost you much more in the long run for maintenance (barring any unforseen early failures). Parts are typically more expensive and there is more labor involved for certain things like changing the timing belt. If I recall correctly, the dealer charges $700-$800 for the 70K service (which includes the timing belt). I have no idea what the Honda is, but I'd be shocked if its as much as that. I did the timing belt on our Subaru and it is a NIGHTMARE!

·
Premium Member
6,729 Posts
Qbrozen said:
You will do much better on either car if you sell it yourself. Both are fairly desirable (although I'm not sure of the market for AWD where you live).

We traded in a Forester for the Pilot. The one thing I will say about Subaru vs. a Civic is that the Subaru will cost you much more in the long run for maintenance (barring any unforseen early failures). Parts are typically more expensive and there is more labor involved for certain things like changing the timing belt. If I recall correctly, the dealer charges $700-$800 for the 70K service (which includes the timing belt). I have no idea what the Honda is, but I'd be shocked if its as much as that. I did the timing belt on our Subaru and it is a NIGHTMARE!
At least you have a couple cars that you could sell yourself as people WANT them!!!!

Good point about the AWD market, but I'm not sure you will always find the Subaru more expensive - or even needing maintenance more than a Honda. I have probably about 400k miles on Subarus and my sister and her family have probably close to 2 million miles on Subarus since 1982 and I would guess less than $1K total repair costs. They (and I) do all of the required service work - including timing belts - which incidentally are not that difficult to replace.

One thing that I forgot to ask earlier was what "kind" of driving has the Civic and the Legacy been subject to for each 47K miles?
If one has been used primarily for highway driving and the other city, I would clearly hang on to the one with the highway miles.

YMMV

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks for the replies.

To answer some questions for the majority of those miles I used it getting to work and school and back as well as driving up to Tahoe for skiing, which is why I got the AWD. A few months ago my wife and i switched cars, so I am getting used to driving it and I like it. She drives only 9 miles to work round trip so we figured we could save a bit of gas if I drove the Civic so I am getting used to driving it.

the civic has been used mostly around town to work/school and occasionally around the bay area to visit family. We use the Subaru when we take longer drives since it is a little more comfortable. One other thing is that I recently purchased a new CD player for the civic when the old CD stopped working.

I am leaning toward selling/trading the Subaru since I won't need the AWD after we get the pilot and since the Civic does get significantly better mileage. The civic would then be used for me to get to work and back while the my wife would use the pilot with the kids and for family trips.

The only question I have is how significantly would trading a honda at a honda dealership make a difference in price? I am leaning toward trade in mainly to use it as part of the down payment as well as convenience. to me that is worth losing some of the extra money of selling it myself.

·
Registered
78 Posts
try and sell yourself

We bought our Pilot at the same dealership that sold me the 96 Civic we were replacing. Except for tires and a couple oil changes between regular services, they had done all maintenance on the car over its 102,000 miles.

I asked the sales guy if that would warrant any special consideration on the trade in, and he said no. Edmunds/ KBB told me to expect about $3,700 from a dealer, but he offered me $1,000 LESS... $2,700. He told me flat out to sell it myself.

Put it in the online version of our local paper (asking $5,300) and within a week had 4 people call and come look at it. Finalized the sale a couple days later for $5,100.

Netting out the $40 listing fee, and discounting the value of my time down to $0, I "made" $2,360 by selling it myself.

·
Registered
305 Posts
colorider

not difficult? Good grief! You must have 6 arms cause this was a frustrating project for both me and my father (I only have a few years total professional experience, but he has about 45 years under his belt on everything from motorcycles to cars to big rigs to airplanes). It was easy up until trying to get the new belt on - lining up 4 cams with the crank and all have pressure on them so the slightest movement and *zzzziipp* one or more would slingshot out of alignment and we'd have to start over again. So I'd be holding 2 cams, one with each hand, and he'd be holding a 3rd while trying to get the belt on with his other hand and trying to be so gentle as to not disturb that 4th cam... ugh! He was ready to take a torch to my poor Subaru. We got it after many attempts and alot of expletives.

what is the most recent model you had? maybe the engine design changed or something. This, of course, was the Phase I 2.5 liter.

·
Premium Member
6,729 Posts
Re: colorider

Qbrozen said:
not difficult? Good grief! You must have 6 arms cause this was a frustrating project for both me and my father (I only have a few years total professional experience, but he has about 45 years under his belt on everything from motorcycles to cars to big rigs to airplanes). It was easy up until trying to get the new belt on - lining up 4 cams with the crank and all have pressure on them so the slightest movement and *zzzziipp* one or more would slingshot out of alignment and we'd have to start over again. So I'd be holding 2 cams, one with each hand, and he'd be holding a 3rd while trying to get the belt on with his other hand and trying to be so gentle as to not disturb that 4th cam... ugh! He was ready to take a torch to my poor Subaru. We got it after many attempts and alot of expletives.

what is the most recent model you had? maybe the engine design changed or something. This, of course, was the Phase I 2.5 liter.
Hmmm, perhaps they have changed. My most recent Sub was a '95 2.5L but I did not own it long enough to every change out the belts. The last one I did change out was on my previous '88 1.8L Turbo. A little tricky maybe and usually some skinned knuckles, but not what I would consider "bad".

BTW, the last I looked, I don't have 6 arms... :eek:

:)

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Keep the Civic!:D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts