Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my 17 pilot touring awd has close to 50K miles and it shakes braking at high speeds 70+ mph.

i havnt bedded the brakes yet to see if that will fix it, but if not im looking to get aftermarket rotors.

just curious for those who have done aftermarket rotors which one you recommend and what brake pads do you use?

im thinking sticking with oem pads but slotted rotors--just dont know which brand and best place to purchase.

·
Registered
5,540 Posts
You'll probably get almost as many recommendations as there are members, LOL, but one good place to start is Rockauto. I don't suggest getting the least expensive ones, though.

The items with the little hearts next to them are the most popular.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/honda,2017,pilot,3.5l+v6,3425784,brake+&+wheel+hub,brake+pad,1684

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/honda,2017,pilot,3.5l+v6,3425784,brake+&+wheel+hub,rotor,1896

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/honda,2017,pilot,3.5l+v6,3425784,brake+&+wheel+hub,rotor+&+brake+pad+kit,13824

·
Registered
75 Posts
my 17 pilot touring awd has close to 50K miles and it shakes braking at high speeds 70+ mph.

i havnt bedded the brakes yet to see if that will fix it, but if not im looking to get aftermarket rotors.

just curious for those who have done aftermarket rotors which one you recommend and what brake pads do you use?

im thinking sticking with oem pads but slotted rotors--just dont know which brand and best place to purchase.
Unless you're going for looks, getting slotted rotors won't matter. It might make the brakes feel like they bite harder, but a good set of pads and standard rotors will work just fine. I wish I had an actual recommendation for what rotors and pads to get. I understand the Pilot has some pretty poor factory rotors, so I've been hoping to get a good recommendation from others on this forum for a while. I've used centric brand for racing a junky car, and they work fine, but my previous road cars have always had excellent and economical OEM brakes, so I've never gone aftermarket. There just are not enough people on this forum talking about brakes. Good luck. Slotted or not, please share what you end up with and your impressions once you change over.

·
Registered
1,577 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Sweet! toolazy, how has the dust been? Would you say more than stock?

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Sweet! toolazy, how has the dust been? Would you say more than stock?
I have black wheels so it’s not too noticeable but I have the same rotors/pad setup on my Subaru with alloy wheels and I can say there is more dust. But to be honest the stopping power is well worth the dust. I feel confident in my stopping power three fold over the OEM pads/rotors.

If you do want to order pads/rotors give knsbrakes.com a call (919-420-0021) and talk with Ken. He’s a mom and pop supplier out of North Carolina we deal with on the Subaru forums. Top notch service and an all around good guy. He can get you what you need.

·
Registered
295 Posts
my almost 4-year-old 2016 pilot with 58K miles need the front rotors replaced for the second time, they seem to last only 2 years. The stealership has previously recommended I go with original honda wither I buy from them or another dealership and I am leaning towards getting premium aftermarket. They openly admitted that they primarily replace the rotors on the pilot more than any other pilot as it is not sized properly and they get out of round very easily pilot.

Anyone went for after market and how is the braking after 6 months? what did you go for (rotors/pads). The irony Acura sells the front pads and rotors much cheaper than Honda total savings $100

Reactions: anynigma

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
my almost 4-year-old 2016 pilot with 58K miles need the front rotors replaced for the second time, they seem to last only 2 years. The stealership has previously recommended I go with original honda wither I buy from them or another dealership and I am leaning towards getting premium aftermarket. They openly admitted that they primarily replace the rotors on the pilot more than any other pilot as it is not sized properly and they get out of round very easily pilot.

Anyone went for after market and how is the braking after 6 months? what did you go for (rotors/pads). The irony Acura sells the front pads and rotors much cheaper than Honda total savings $100
mine is 2017 but have 47K miles. still havent replaced rotors but the vehicle shimmies/shakes during breaking at speeds over 75+

im thinking going with oem pads but aftermarket rotors, or just going aftermarket all the way through?

·
Registered
28 Posts
In my experience, OEM brakes are pretty hit or miss and certainly not worth the cost difference over aftermarket. At least with aftermarket, you have a brand associated with the parts. We have three cars right now, all of which we bought new. The original brakes on the Accord were great, horrible on the Elantra, and so-so on the Pilot.

Honestly, I've used the Carquest Gold and Platinum lines at Advance Auto for the last two brake jobs I've done on our other cars. I needed something fast because they started screeching (I guess that means I should pay closer attention to them), so I didn't want to wait for a RockAuto delivery to show up, but both sets have served us well. The Elantra was noticeably improved and the Accord is no worse off.

I'm not counting on the front rotors to last very long on this one. I'll probably go back to Advance or get some of the better stuff off RockAuto when the time comes.

·
Registered
13 Posts

I got exactly same problem as yours for my 16 ex, but only with 26K miles on it. I did not bother to resurface it, cause the dealer ask for way tooooo much, it is more than what i paid for the new whole set.
I got the set (front + back rotors and braking pads) named "power stop" from amazon, i am OK with it. If the windows were left open, there is noticeable noise from the brake due to the slotted/drilled rotor.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I got exactly same problem as yours for my 16 ex, but only with 26K miles on it. I did not bother to resurface it, cause the dealer ask for way tooooo much, it is more than what i paid for the new whole set.
I got the set (front + back rotors and braking pads) named "power stop" from amazon, i am OK with it. If the windows were left open, there is noticeable noise from the brake due to the slotted/drilled rotor.
thanks for your experience. i have heard of powerstop. were the pads ceramic? i believe ceramic pads make less noise. was stopping power better you feel after your swap to aftermarket?

·
Registered
295 Posts
This is what I came here for! I didn't even think about Acura. Anyone know if their rotors and pads are different?
Acura mostly installs Honda parts just the part number might be different but the label usually says Honda

Reactions: anynigma

·
Registered
45 Posts
My good friend previously held an executive position with Centric and I have used their pads and rotors for many years. Now that he has left the company, I will still use their products as I have seen the R&D that goes into making sure that they fit exactly like the OEM products, down to the ducting in the rotors, and perform well. If you search around online, you can find their products at discounted prices. Good luck.

·
Registered
295 Posts
akebono or centrix rotors since the OEM does not last long

·
Registered
295 Posts
So... i finally replaced the rotors with Akebono and Honda pads and the car brakes better than OEM but time will tell.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts