Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

41 - 48 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
I purchased the rim for the 2017 Honda Pilot EX-L AWD for $142.00 and the tire for $159.00 altogether it was 301.00. I think that Costco charges about $15.00 dollars to install it. Good deal since the a refurbished rim runs in the $200 dollar range and the tire another $200.00 plus installation. I think I saved me $100.00 this way.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I purchased the rim for the 2017 Honda Pilot EX-L AWD for $142.00 and the tire for $159.00 altogether it was 301.00. I think that Costco charges about $15.00 dollars to install it. Good deal since the a refurbished rim runs in the $200 dollar range and the tire another $200.00 plus installation. I think I saved me $100.00 this way.

Happy holidays everyone! I needed new tires for my ‘16 Pilot EXL AWD, and went with the Michelin Defender LTX M/S. Got them mounted on the stock 18” wheels. NTB was great with their laser balancing.

When I was there, I was talking with one of the store managers, and I asked him about a full sized spare. He told me that since I do use the Pilot to pull a small trailer, it is highly advisable to have a full sized spare.

I received a used wheel from a salvage yard that is the same size as the wheels on the Pilot as a retirement gift my my sister-in-law and her boyfriend. It came with the TPMS mounted in the wheel. But, no Schrader Valve (which they probably removed when taking the old tire off), which is fine.

Question that I have here is, does/has anyone put a full sized tire up in the spare tire area with a TPMS unit in the rim (I know the tire fits up there fine), and if they have, does the TPMS interfere with the pickups on the wheels which are on the ground at the 4 corners?

Tried to find info online, but couldn’t. I’ll also be calling the Honda service at local dealer to inquire. Just checking here with users first.

I must say that in comparison to the stock OEM Duelers that we’re on the Pilot when I bought it, the Defenders are quieter and a pleasure to drive on at any speed, especially highway + speeds.

Please let me know! Getting new spare tire mounted on Monday, 31Dec and would like to know before having tire mounted and balanced. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
55 Posts
Happy holidays everyone! I needed new tires for my ‘16 Pilot EXL AWD, and went with the Michelin Defender LTX M/S. Got them mounted on the stock 18” wheels. NTB was great with their laser balancing.

When I was there, I was talking with one of the store managers, and I asked him about a full sized spare. He told me that since I do use the Pilot to pull a small trailer, it is highly advisable to have a full sized spare.

I received a used wheel from a salvage yard that is the same size as the wheels on the Pilot as a retirement gift my my sister-in-law and her boyfriend. It came with the TPMS mounted in the wheel. But, no Schrader Valve (which they probably removed when taking the old tire off), which is fine.

Question that I have here is, does/has anyone put a full sized tire up in the spare tire area with a TPMS unit in the rim (I know the tire fits up there fine), and if they have, does the TPMS interfere with the pickups on the wheels which are on the ground at the 4 corners?

Tried to find info online, but couldn’t. I’ll also be calling the Honda service at local dealer to inquire. Just checking here with users first.

I must say that in comparison to the stock OEM Duelers that we’re on the Pilot when I bought it, the Defenders are quieter and a pleasure to drive on at any speed, especially highway + speeds.

Please let me know! Getting new spare tire mounted on Monday, 31Dec and would like to know before having tire mounted and balanced. Thanks

I have a full size spare (18") with TPMS and it does not interfere with the other wheels.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I have a full size spare (18") with TPMS and it does not interfere with the other wheels.

Ikaros-

Which side of the full sized spare did you put up toward the underside of the vehicle? Did you put the outfacing side, or the inside (that goes around the hub/brake calipers) on the ‘upside’? Just wondering what you did, and your preference.

Thanks!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Ikaros-

Which side of the full sized spare did you put up toward the underside of the vehicle? Did you put the outfacing side, or the inside (that goes around the hub/brake calipers) on the ‘upside’? Just wondering what you did, and your preference.

Thanks!

I had a 2006 4Runner that came with full size spare and it was the finished side facing up. I assumed so that the finished side won't get damaged so I followed the same method for the Pilot.

I also installed the OEM hitch receiver and the spare tire is very close to the receiver, so close that my aluminum hitch adapter will not fit. Tip, I lowered the spare tire just a little until it is enough for me to push it towards the front of the vehicle to get the additional space needed for the hitch adapter, then raise it to lock it into place.

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
Ikaros-

Thanks!

I can't answer for him, but in my case I was wondering the very same thing and even spoke about it to my tire shop guy. It doesn't make a huge difference, but by putting the valve stem side facing down, it makes it easier to check or inflate the spare without taking it down, although it's also good to take it down maybe once a year or so to "exercise" the winch so it doesn't rust up or seize.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Has anyone tried this on a 2020 Pilot? Since the spare is still mounted under the car I'm assuming it should still fit.

I did this on my '06 Pilot. Fortunately I've never needed it but it's a comfort knowing that I have it if I should get a flat.

And yes, I put a TPMS in and have had zero issues with any false readings.

Thanks!
Larry.

41 - 48 of 48 Posts