Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
No height or space issues with the 20 inch.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
hmm you guys got me thinking of taking off my donut and replacing it with one of my OEM tires/rims that I replaced with aftermarket tires/wheels. The 4 OEM tires/rims are just sitting in my shed collecting dust.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I wouldn't worry about that because if you have a flat. You would have to swap your spare for your full size tire and you would have to put the full size flat under the car. After 20,000 miles I did not have a single concern with the weight.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Ok. I forgot to ask what is the weight difference with the spare and oem wheel. Wondering if there is a weight limit on the bolt that holds the spare.
Thanks in advance.
This is a really good point. I just swapped my spare for one of my OEM wheels that have been sitting in my shed for about 6 months. I pulled myself up on the tire after it was mounted and it seemed to hold with my weight (~175 extra pounds pulling downward). I will say that I'm not sure the tire really fits though.

I wouldn't worry about that because if you have a flat. You would have to swap your spare for your full size tire and you would have to put the full size flat under the car. After 20,000 miles I did not have a single concern with the weight.
did you have a problem mounting your tire under there? I'm asking because toward the front of the car I seem to have a fitment issue. See my attached pics where you can see these two metal (bronze/gold colored) pieces are pushing into the wheel towards the front of the vehicle.

I tightened the tire up as much as I could until it started clicking. I went until the second click and realized I don't think it will go up any higher. The OEM tire that is now mounted under there is not parallel with the ground. It is close to parallel but the rear is a tiny bit higher due to these metal "stoppers". The last picture is the rear of the vehicle.

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
The metal "stoppers" are there by design for the tire to snug up against. Cuz the tire is rubber so it won't bang against metal and make a horrible racket. But make sure you get the thing snugged up or you will have mystery thumps from under the car and you'll be wondering what ( or who ) you ran over.

The "black bar" is the rear sway bar, and the aforementioned metal "stoppers" should keep the tire from actually touching that. If not, you have a problem. It moves. But from the photos, I don't think it is touching.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
You are correct it is not touching the rear sway bar. This tire is up as far as possible until it "clicks" as I'm tightening it up. I've asked the dealer what the max weight is on the spare like someone asked above and I'm waiting for a response. When they get back to me I'll post it.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Yes curious about what the weight limit is. I would get a matching rim and tire which weights 11 pounds more than stock. Also will the full size spare get in the way of VTM4 fluid change? Maybe someone can answer this.

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Also will the full size spare get in the way of VTM4 fluid change? Maybe someone can answer this.
Not on a 1st generation anyway, as I found out when the submechanic tasked with changing it out by my head mechanic repeatedly refused my request to lower the spare to change the VTM-4 fluid last time around. He just couldn't be bothered, but it ended up being a bit more of an angled hassle for him and a messier cleanup job for me afterward.

For a 2nd or 3rd gen, you'd have to ask owners of those to be sure.

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
Your mechanic(s) should be made aware that if they weren't so darn lazy and dropped the spare once in a while, it might not get frozen by corrosion. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

·
Registered
60 Posts
I just bought a rim for 2017 Honda Pilot for $142.50, it is the same type it currently has. I am going to put the same tires it currently has which are Bridgestone Dueler HP Sport AS 245/60R18 105H. This is going to be the new spare tire instead of the doughnut it has for a spare. Hopefully, it should fit where the current spare is at.

Attachments

·
Registered
113 Posts
This is probably a silly question, but will a full size spare fit on the under side of the car?

·
Registered
60 Posts
This is probably a silly question, but will a full size spare fit on the under side of the car?
Yes, it should. However, if you have other than an OEM trailer hitch it may not fit. I do have an OEM hitch and that should fit.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I do have a OEM trailer hitch. I like the idea of putting the matching rim on the spare, but it will be super expensive for me sense I have the 20 inch wheels.

·
Registered
2,081 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
I do have a OEM trailer hitch. I like the idea of putting the matching rim on the spare, but it will be super expensive for me sense I have the 20 inch wheels.

Junkyard, look for a total. They're out there.

·
account deleted by request
38 Posts
I got my 20" take off on eBay with free shipping. If you are still interested, I can give you the seller's info, he has 3 more at this time. He wants $175 or make an offer, I got it down to $130.

21 - 40 of 48 Posts